Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 20:57 Jivaro

The Vita library is slowly getting better. I am currently playing MLB the Show and Soul Sacrifice, both very good games. I still don't understand how Sony expects anyone to invest in digital purchases however. I mean, if I buy the game on it's own card, all I need a memory card for is a minimal amount of save spot. If I buy the game on PSN and download it I generally have to pay the same price as retail...and I have to keep buying newer and bigger memory cards as my collection grows. It just makes no sense if you are trying to encourage digital purchases to use proprietary memory.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 19:05 Julio

Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 13:07:
Dev costs are spiraling out of control which might make less expansive titles for its hardware very attractive for devs. The 3DS does just fine despite being relatively underpowered compared to the Vita for example.

To me the Vita issues are tied to lack of games, and the proprietary memory cards. Those definitely stopped me from buying one. No point in having a system with no games...which sort of is the Wii U right now.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 13:07 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 12:53:
With only two entrants into this next console generation, I don't see how the consoles come in below $500 for the next couple of years. Maybe a stripped down version, but not the one worth owning.

I wouldn't count the Wii U out yet. With some decent first party titles it could find a base again. Dev costs are spiraling out of control which might make less expansive titles for its hardware very attractive for devs. The 3DS does just fine despite being relatively underpowered compared to the Vita for example.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 12:56 Creston

It's a very different fiscal climate than it was back in 2005/2006. If Sony and MS believe people still have 500 dollars lying around to spend on frivolous bullshit, they'll be sadly mistaken. Same with the publishers who are already salivating at the idea of going to 70 or 80 bucks for a game.

Creston

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 12:53 jdreyer

With only two entrants into this next console generation, I don't see how the consoles come in below $500 for the next couple of years. Maybe a stripped down version, but not the one worth owning.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 12:53 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:46:
Seeing as how the Orthbox holds no interest for me, I've been looking at the PS4 for a next console (once it gets established)

I'm kinda in the same boat. But they still need to impress me, and I'm not buying a console over $300, no matter how many years it takes...

It'll fall in price after a year; they always do.

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 12:50:
Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:18:
I didn't even realize they sold their building. Ouch. Never a good sign when a company starts selling off infrastructure...
While possibly true here, this kind of sale doesn't necessarily indicate fiscal problems. It's that "funny" business accounting again. A couple of years ago our company sold the building our Phoenix office was working in and relocated them to a facility which we lease. The company didn't want "all that capital" of the facility just sitting there, they want it out earning money.

This is the same reasoning that causes even huge corporations like GE to borrow money for "normal" expenses like payroll. It costs them less money to borrow it and pay 2% on the money, while that cash is out earning a lot more than 2% somewhere else. It seems a bit crazy, but it's a fairly common practice.

Those are very good points. I guess we'll find out how well Sony does, and keep hoping they'll continue to do better. While I have no particular love for Sony, I have always enjoyed their consoles (though the PS3 less so), and I really don't want to see a market where Microsoft is the only major player... We've already seen how "well" Microsoft behaves when it has a virtual monopoly.

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 12:50 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:18:
I didn't even realize they sold their building. Ouch. Never a good sign when a company starts selling off infrastructure...
While possibly true here, this kind of sale doesn't necessarily indicate fiscal problems. It's that "funny" business accounting again. A couple of years ago our company sold the building our Phoenix office was working in and relocated them to a facility which we lease. The company didn't want "all that capital" of the facility just sitting there, they want it out earning money.

This is the same reasoning that causes even huge corporations like GE to borrow money for "normal" expenses like payroll. It costs them less money to borrow it and pay 2% on the money, while that cash is out earning a lot more than 2% somewhere else. It seems a bit crazy, but it's a fairly common practice.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:46 nin

Seeing as how the Orthbox holds no interest for me, I've been looking at the PS4 for a next console (once it gets established)

I'm kinda in the same boat. But they still need to impress me, and I'm not buying a console over $300, no matter how many years it takes...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:37 Jivaro

Sony is made up of so many individual companies, they can sell off and purchase pieces as they need to. They aren't going anywhere.

From the wiki: As of March 2010, Sony Corporation has made 92 acquisitions while taking stakes at 56 companies. The company has 83 divestitures since 1983. Sony's biggest acquisition to date is that of Columbia Pictures, valued at U$3.4 billion at the time of purchase.

(disclaimer:I have not checked the accuracy of this statement, just a copy+paste from the wiki)

My only point is that while I suppose it isn't completely insane to worry that they might ditch the video game area, their purchase and investment history over the last 5 years would seem to indicate that they are willing to sacrifice other parts of the company to make sure they are positioned well in the video game and digital media business.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:26 Creston

Verno wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 11:22:
Sony will be around for sure, I wouldn't even worry about it. They would be a really attractive takeover target if nothing else and once the reorganization is complete I suspect they will do pretty well. The videogame division will be very profitable this time if they don't repeat past mistakes, Microsoft has been handing them opportunities on a platter.

I don't know if I'll get a PS4 but I know for sure I won't be getting the new Adbox from Microsoft, they're the only company who has been doing its best to ensure they won't get my business. I might just stick with a PC + 3DS, right now its filling my gamings pretty well, haven't even booted up the PS3 in weeks.

My big worry is that once Sony becomes attractive enough to buy, MS will just buy them to bury their competition. It's not as if Redmond doesn't have enough money, they could probably buy Sony right now for cash.

I don't really have a need for a new console, but they double nicely as blu-ray players (something the PS3 has done excellently, I might add. Never had a single issue with any discs.) and there's always the occasional game that only comes out on a console that I'd be interested in. (especially if rockstar keeps being assholes about PC ports...)

But yeah, I'm not buying MS's bullshit console. There's literally been not a single positive rumor about that piece of shit.

Creston

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:22 Verno

Sony will be around for sure, I wouldn't even worry about it. They would be a really attractive takeover target if nothing else and once the reorganization is complete I suspect they will do pretty well. The videogame division will be very profitable this time if they don't repeat past mistakes, Microsoft has been handing them opportunities on a platter.

I don't know if I'll get a PS4 but I know for sure I won't be getting the new Adbox from Microsoft, they're the only company who has been doing its best to ensure they won't get my business. I might just stick with a PC + 3DS, right now its filling my gamings pretty well, haven't even booted up the PS3 in weeks.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:18 Creston

Seeing as how the Orthbox holds no interest for me, I've been looking at the PS4 for a next console (once it gets established), but I'm definitely worried Sony might not be around for its projected lifespan.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:17 Jivaro

If 6 years ago you had told me that I would be a happy Sony customer I would have laughed and farted in your general direction. I have no idea if this profit announcement means anything, but I do think they have positioned themselves well going into the next 10 years of digital entertainment, or at least they appear to have to the casual observer.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 11:10 Verno

Sony coasted on their name for a long time in consumer electronics and it really hurt them. The good news is that profits are basically dead in most of those markets now and it makes no sense to compete there anymore. They can keep going as a supplier and focus on more profitable markets.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 10:55 nin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 10:45:
Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 10:30:
Good to see that Sony is turning it around, at least temporarily. I'm not so sure it'll stay that way, though. 8GB of DDR5 in the PS4 is going to cost quite a bit of change, and it makes me think they'll be selling it at a several hundred dollar loss...

Creston

Yeah, it's not really a turnaround per ce. As I understand it, they basically eeked out a profit because the yen has dropped again (largely by design of the Japanese government) and most of their business is done in foreign currency. It's the same reason Nintendo swung back to profit, despite lower than forecast Wii and 3DS sales. Their restructuring plan is still a work in progress. I do hope these companies can turn it around though as lots of great innovations have come from them in the past and a world where Apple and Samsung largely dominate consumer electronics isn't good for anyone.

And they sold their building for a shitload of cash...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 10:45 Parallax Abstraction

Creston wrote on Apr 29, 2013, 10:30:
Good to see that Sony is turning it around, at least temporarily. I'm not so sure it'll stay that way, though. 8GB of DDR5 in the PS4 is going to cost quite a bit of change, and it makes me think they'll be selling it at a several hundred dollar loss...

Creston

Yeah, it's not really a turnaround per ce. As I understand it, they basically eeked out a profit because the yen has dropped again (largely by design of the Japanese government) and most of their business is done in foreign currency. It's the same reason Nintendo swung back to profit, despite lower than forecast Wii and 3DS sales. Their restructuring plan is still a work in progress. I do hope these companies can turn it around though as lots of great innovations have come from them in the past and a world where Apple and Samsung largely dominate consumer electronics isn't good for anyone.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 29, 2013, 10:30 Creston

Creston

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo