Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spamalot Unchained

An odd little flood of requests have come into the BlueTower over the past few days asking for posts about the Kickstarter for Camelot Unchained. Many of these cc: other gaming websites, and it's pretty apparent that someone has suggested a mail campaign to support the game, which sits at about 75% funding with just four days to go. While these requests ignore the fact that there's nothing new to report about this, it is surprising how much effort some of them showed at conveying the passion some supporters have for this, though some of them just tried to make it seem like they were spontaneous, which was funny amid the deluge. Anyway, the genuine enthusiasm of some of these letters touches a chord here where the community aspects of gaming always have sway. So on a quiet Saturday, here is a reminder about this proposed MMORPG in case the latest updates about what Mark Jacobs and company have planned might inspire more support. If not, at least this gave me an excuse to use that awesome headline.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 30, 2013, 12:03 Inglorio

Even thouh im a backer, im still not sure if the game will succeed. To be honest i don't care.

The fact thats it's a PVP based game, free of PVE, made me join the Kickstart. And also, i dont wanna be stuck with TESO because its sucks.

Also, pledgin $25 and a $10 subscription is not that much money. If you think it is then.... you should get a job. Or ask mommy for more money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 10:01 morose

I dunno. Seems like even 10k subs at $10 a month for a grand total of $100,000 per month is a reasonable ongoing fee to keep the game running. They could do this right by focusing on PvP and crafting instead needing to create/balance traditionally time intensive MMO content like dozens of dungeons and raids. I'm intrigued enough simply by the crafting/building class possibilities that I chipped in $50 to help it get made. YMMV. Also note that the total budget for the game will be ~$5 million as there is a substantial contribution coming from Mark and investors if they get the $2 million from the Kickstarter.  

31. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 08:17 MindStalker3

They seem to recognize the issue.

From their FAQ:

Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realmģ (this term is a registered trademark of Electronic Arts), which we call TriRealmô for the interaction of the three main realms.

30. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 07:21 Fibrocyte

It is at 1.6MM of 2.0MM with 3 days to go. My guess is it will not naturally get funded. If it happens then it will likely be due to some hefty bumps at the very end by friends of Jacobs.  

29. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 29, 2013, 04:08 Warskull

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 22:48:
Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 19:29:
Kickstart an MMO so that I can then pay monthly fees? Sure, let me get my wallet...

Creston

This is exactly what I challenged Mark Jacobs with multiple times, and despite his huge amount of open talk with players, he has not said one word about it.

Subscriptions are there because they supposedly justify the monthly new content and suchs mmorpgs get (supposedly). An mmorpg, without PvE, focused 99% around PvP, cant really have content updates. So basically your subs go to giving the devs steak dinners every night.

Again, I challenge Jacobs to prove otherwise.

You can have content updates for PvP oriented games.

That said, I don't exactly have much faith in Mark Jacobs. Warhammer Online was horrible and he was massively out of touch with the state of the game. He has become another relic, riding on his past MMO success.

MMOs are extremely expensive and the fastest way to sink a studio. $2 million hardly seems like enough to bring an MMO to market. This seems like a kickstarter that is very unlikely to produce a good product.

28. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 16:00 Julio

Bosanac wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 13:59:
See, this is what happens when people make up their opinions and judge things without knowing anything about it...Come on people. Grow the fuck up.

Read the kickstarter page, the game looks like a MMORPG that's going to suck. 'Growing the fuck up' is knowing when a KS game is worth your individual investment or not. Don't get all butthurt because we don't like your game. Less than 10k backers = less than 10k subscribers which is shutdown time in the MMO space. If I was to play an MMO again, it sure wouldn't be this game.

I think I now know who was spamming Blue to post a story on this game.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2013, 15:20 xmb1121

Ant wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:21:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:15:
Julio wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:00:
I'm going to pass, MMORPG no thanks.

I hear ya, i just dont have the time anymore (who does?). Let alone the longing to grind up 50+ levels just to try pvp/rvr
Same here. Even don't have time for quick Flash games these days!

See, this is what happens when people make up their opinions and judge things without knowing anything about it. There is no PvE. You don't level to get to it, you start it right away.

And some idiot after you two yaps about how there's no content update to justify monthly fees because its RvR and he wants his pve raids. I mean really? There' no way to improve an RvR game over time? Add new objectives, mechanics, abilities to the raw engine. You can already build your own keeps.. did minecraft not have any reason for updates because it had no PvE raids?

Come on people. Grow the fuck up.

Two things: If they don't properly understand what the game is about, that isn't their fault. The media team for the game obviously isn't doing their job. You suspect they don't have a team of people to educate folks about the game? That also isn't the fault of people who don't understand the concept.

Second, the fact that someone isn't interested in a game isn't justification to tell them to "grow the fuck up." Perhaps that's what's already happened. Maybe they need to "immature the fuck up" to enjoy griefer pvp more instead.

26. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 14:29 Ant

I hear ya, i just dont have the time anymore (who does?). Let alone the longing to grind up 50+ levels just to try pvp/rvr

See, this is what happens when people make up their opinions and judge things without knowing anything about it. There is no PvE. You don't level to get to it, you start it right away.

And some idiot after you two yaps about how there's no content update to justify monthly fees because its RvR and he wants his pve raids. I mean really? There' no way to improve an RvR game over time? Add new objectives, mechanics, abilities to the raw engine. You can already build your own keeps.. did minecraft not have any reason for updates because it had no PvE raids?

Dude, why did you reply to my reply/comment?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 13:59 Bosanac

If you kill them, they will die!

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 12:49 eRe4s3r

Last damage it was ;/  

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 12:20 dj LiTh

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 09:55:
The only thing from DAOC I still remember was a quest where I was supposed to kill a enemy dude... so I go there, and 80 people sit there killing the dude every single time he respawned, I sat there 4 hours trying to get this quest (which was an essential quest, ie. without it you could not progress) and got nothing, I killed the dude 53 times each time I did some damage, but never did the fucking game acknowledge I actually did it.

So yeah, DAOC was awesome.. NOT

Ya, i remember that kind of stuff in DAOC, i think it worked on last hit or who was first to do damage? Something like that.

22. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 11:45 Dev

KS a mmo with monthly subscription fee? No thanks.

The KS page also mentions that its using trademarked terms like RVR. Are they paying EA licensing fees for stuff like that and the camelot IP?

21. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 eRe4s3r

The only thing from DAOC I still remember was a quest where I was supposed to kill a enemy dude... so I go there, and 80 people sit there killing the dude every single time he respawned, I sat there 4 hours trying to get this quest (which was an essential quest, ie. without it you could not progress) and got nothing, I killed the dude 53 times each time I did some damage, but never did the fucking game acknowledge I actually did it.

So yeah, DAOC was awesome.. NOT

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 09:21 Fibrocyte

I wouldn't mind funding an MMO. For any decent MMO, you pay for the initial game anyway so what's the difference?

My problem with CU is it is just not interesting to me. I wouldn't mind a PVP-only game but this just looks like a rehash of DAoC (minus the PvE aspect). DAoC was pretty great back when it was first released, but that was 12 years ago. Also, maybe Mark Jacobs should have let someone else make the KS video on his behalf - he just doesn't seem like a likable guy to me.

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 05:22 eRe4s3r

Same here, one thing I will never fund is anything MMO

2 million won't even get you a good MMO, the scale and vast resources required to make a good MMO are beyond comprehension, unless you do it in space (where you need only space ships as opposed to an entire world designed from scratch ,p)

18. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 28, 2013, 02:10 WyldKat

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 23:01:
Kickstart an MMO so that I can then pay monthly fees? Sure, let me get my wallet...

Creston

This is exactly what I challenged Mark Jacobs with multiple times, and despite his huge amount of open talk with players, he has not said one word about it.

Subscriptions are there because they supposedly justify the monthly new content and suchs mmorpgs get (supposedly). An mmorpg, without PvE, focused 99% around PvP, cant really have content updates. So basically your subs go to giving the devs steak dinners every night.

From Mark Jacobs:

Because I donít want to have to support 95% of the server population free of charge, pray that 5% spend a lot of money and then find ways to get a small % of the 95% to spend something; b) Maybe, but I think it is the good kind of insane; c) Check back with me in about 3-5 years. Thereís a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not (well, itís not of course). Besides, we will get a tighter community with fewer people who actually really want to play and stick with our game as opposed to a large number of people who are playing until they have to pay or they find a different FTP that interests them. Iíll take lower profits, fewer players, tighter community any day of the week. FYI, I said this same thing before, back when networks like GEnie, AOL, etc. were charging for games and the first ďAdver-model gamesĒ were supposed to take over the world.

Source

More here:

http://camelotunchainedfaq.wikispaces.com/Subscription+Model

So... he's completely out of touch with what's been happening in the MMO industry for the past 3-5 years, not to mention the Buy2Play new hotness that has occured in the past year.

I guess I'm not really surprised seeing as how they'll be repeating all the mistakes they made with DAOC as well as making it a PVP only griefer's paradise.

I do find it hilarious though that he's on this "subscription games are still relevant" soapbox while nickle and diming things in his Kickstarter in true F2P fashion, such as Priority Logins, Additional Storage, and even customer support queue priority as well as a special currency to buy them.

He's double dipping, just as The Secret World did charging a subscription and having people buy stuff on their cash shop. Worked out great for them, too, only I don't recall them having anything but clothing on their cash shop... hmm...

17. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 27, 2013, 23:01 RaZ0r!

Creston

From Mark Jacobs:

Because I donít want to have to support 95% of the server population free of charge, pray that 5% spend a lot of money and then find ways to get a small % of the 95% to spend something; b) Maybe, but I think it is the good kind of insane; c) Check back with me in about 3-5 years. Thereís a major storm coming in the FTP space whether people/publishers want to hear it or not (well, itís not of course). Besides, we will get a tighter community with fewer people who actually really want to play and stick with our game as opposed to a large number of people who are playing until they have to pay or they find a different FTP that interests them. Iíll take lower profits, fewer players, tighter community any day of the week. FYI, I said this same thing before, back when networks like GEnie, AOL, etc. were charging for games and the first ďAdver-model gamesĒ were supposed to take over the world.

Source

More here:

http://camelotunchainedfaq.wikispaces.com/Subscription+Model

16. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 27, 2013, 22:48 Gadzooks

Creston

15. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 27, 2013, 19:44 wtf_man

I don't have any interest in a pure RVR MMO, nor any faith in Mark Jacobs even if I did... so I'll pass.

14. Re: Spamalot Unchained Apr 27, 2013, 19:29 Creston

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo