Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Reddit Apr 29, 2013, 01:00 Fantaz

Prez wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 21:51:
So was he murdered, did he commit suicide, or was it a REALLY strange coincidence? If it's one the first two then yeah, Reddit bears some responsibility here, but not more than them the self-appointed "expert detectives" who use the site.

entr0py wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 04:38:
So, reddit finally drove someone to suicide? Time to shut the experiment down, it's had a good run.

Does nobody read? It says he dead 1 month earlier... they only found him now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 13:30 HorrorScope

Sleep wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 13:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 12:58:
ItBurn wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 11:46:
I think that it's great that the public tries to play detective.

I think it is totally disillusional.

The problem is that it will happen and were just at that stage where nobody knows how to handle it, its a logical extension of the prevalence of social media. Oh and that isnt a real word.

Oh fuck you got me on a misspell. -1 Internets to me.

Sort of in the same line of the Tiger Woods violation. What other sport would allow a caller who was watching on TV to call in the violation and the league even react to it, let alone after the round is over?

27. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 13:13 Sleep

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 12:58:

The problem is that it will happen and were just at that stage where nobody knows how to handle it, its a logical extension of the prevalence of social media. Oh and that isnt a real word.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 28, 2013, 12:58 HorrorScope

25. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 12:57 Redmask

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 07:54:
I hope next time something happens, Cutter and NKD are falsely accused and their famalies receive death threats and everything that happened to those accused in this matter. It is NOT OK. And for you to think it is, is worse than the bombing itself.

Cutter has a big mouth but he didn't do or say anything wrong here, you should apologize for falsely accusing him.

24. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2013, 11:46 ItBurn

The guy had been missing for a while before the bombings, which is one reason why Reddit looked him up. He was probably dead before the bombings even happened.

I think that it's great that the public tries to play detective. It's not ok if you attack the suspects directly physically or with words though. That's where trained cops come in.

23. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 11:43 Sleep

NKD wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 11:32:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 11:27:
I hope next time something happens, Cutter and NKD are falsely accused and their famalies receive death threats and everything that happened to those accused in this matter. It is NOT OK. And for you to think it is, is worse than the bombing itself.

Why? Wtf did I do? I said it was irresponsible to accuse people of crimes they may or may have not committed if you don't for certain. You think people should be blamed for crimes they didn't commit?

In his frothing childish rage, he misread your post.

Anyone wishing that on anyone is pretty pathetic tbh.

22. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 11:32 NKD

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 11:27:

Why? Wtf did I do? I said it was irresponsible to accuse people of crimes they may or may have not committed if you don't for certain. You think people should be blamed for crimes they didn't commit?

In his frothing childish rage, he misread your post.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 11:27 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 11:26 Rattlehead

That's messed up, and I live about 5 minutes from India Park Point also. Also, it's funny how all of a sudden everyone on this site is a law school graduate.  

19. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 07:54 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 21:34:
NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 20:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:48:
I hope they sue everyone involved.

That's a great idea. Let's discourage people from even getting involved in trying to find the perpetrators of a crime. Nevermind that getting the public involved has led to some of the most high profile arrests in history.

Yeah, call the tips number or local authorities if you have any actual, real information, otherwise shut-up. Jesus, you know how irresponsible and dangerous it is to accuse people of crimes they didn't commit? What's wrong with you?

The problem here, is that NKD, who I ignore, was quoted by Cutter, and NKD cherry picked one line.

And no, that kid was missing prior, but the family recieved a lot of very negative attention bc of reddit and other sources. It was most likely a suicide weeks prior to the bombing.

If it had been someone who was actually around and the cops could have talked to right away, his name probably wouldn't have even gotten around.
Bullshit. The names, dob, home addresses, etc etc etc are available for all the people that were falsely accused thanks to redditt.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2013, 04:41 Sleep

1. this is the internet and that is reddit, it will happen, deal with it. If reddit mods shut down any relevant conversation then it would happen elsewhere. the genie is well and truly out of the bottle on this one.

2. The real problem is the mainstream media broadcasting it. Until that point its just uninformed speculation. After that, its irresponsible speculation.

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 28, 2013, 04:38 entr0py

So, reddit finally drove someone to suicide? Time to shut the experiment down, it's had a good run.  

16. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 01:59 NKD

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 21:34:
Yeah, call the tips number or local authorities if you have any actual, real information, otherwise shut-up. Jesus, you know how irresponsible and dangerous it is to accuse people of crimes they didn't commit? What's wrong with you?

If people think there is any chance of getting into trouble or getting sued, they will stop helping at all, even in a useful non-accusatory way. Look at China where no one will even help a dying toddler out of the road because of fear of a lawsuit.

I just think it's stupid to expect professional standards out of Joe Citizen just trying to help, let alone punish them for not living up to those standards. All you'll do is discourage public involvement entirely.

No, we don't want people making false accusations, but that burden of proof isn't on the person trying to help. Frankly, they aren't in a position to know for sure whether the information will be useful to the authorities. It's better to tell them something that doesn't check out, then hold on to something that could have been used to save lives.

It's on the press and the police to handle it in a way that doesn't shit all over someones name and life. They are idiots for running with unsourced information from random fucktards on the Internet.

Besides, this is a weird corner case. We wouldn't even know this guys name if he hadn't already been missing, which lended credibility to the accusations. If it had been someone who was actually around and the cops could have talked to right away, his name probably wouldn't have even gotten around.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 01:58 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I doubt this is any form of bad vigilantism or 'pseudo investigation' the guy was last seen on March 15, 1 month before the Boston Bombings.

If you read the article on USA Today, it sounds like someone decided to take an unfortunate walk into the ocean. Who knows the reason. Until I see other evidence that places this at someone elses feet, I think it will be placed with the guy they fished out.

14. Re: Reddit Apr 28, 2013, 00:57 Pumas

Quboid wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:47:
I doubt many intelligence agencies make this sort of error

Errrr...like the kind of intelligence errors that would lead a country to, say, invade 2 other countries based upon completely false information resulting in thousands of lost lives?

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Apr 27, 2013, 22:53 Nadool

I saw billboards for him being missing long before the bombing ever took place. At least a month prior. Guy was probably dead before the bombing even happened.  

12. Re: Reddit Apr 27, 2013, 22:07 PHJF

Nobody saw this?

http://videosift.com/video/Charlie-Brooker-on-Boston-Bombing-News-Coverage

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Reddit Apr 27, 2013, 21:51 Prez

So was he murdered, did he commit suicide, or was it a REALLY strange coincidence? If it's one the first two then yeah, Reddit bears some responsibility here, but not more than them the self-appointed "expert detectives" who use the site.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Reddit Apr 27, 2013, 21:34 Cutter

NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 20:05:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 18:48:
I hope they sue everyone involved.

That's a great idea. Let's discourage people from even getting involved in trying to find the perpetrators of a crime. Nevermind that getting the public involved has led to some of the most high profile arrests in history.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo