Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 28, 2013, 08:58 Julio

Tom wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 13:31:
Not that anyone really wants to record you anyway though, and even if they do, nobody will be interested in watching it.

So why have the recording function in Google Glass then? Because Google wants to tag, document and track everyone just like Facebook. Then monetize it without your consent and without sharing the profits with you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 15:27 Redmask

Tom wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 14:30:
YouTube is absolutely filled with videos that have never been watched or have been watched by just a tiny handful of people. Don't allow your understanding of the bigger picture to be skewed by the staggeringly small percentage of videos that have 'gone viral' or otherwise attracted enough attention to find an audience.

Youtube is also absolutely filled with videos that have seeming no interest to anyone yet somehow find an audience anyway. Never underestimate the power of the mundane, the genesis of reality TV was every day shit that no one cares about and that's just entertainment, not even getting into potential government use of 'private' video. Privacy is something worth fighting for and if there was no value to filming people then people wouldn't do it.

12. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 14:30 Tom

YouTube is absolutely filled with videos that have never been watched or have been watched by just a tiny handful of people. Don't allow your understanding of the bigger picture to be skewed by the staggeringly small percentage of videos that have 'gone viral' or otherwise attracted enough attention to find an audience.  

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 13:57 Redmask

Tom wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 13:31:
Not that anyone really wants to record you anyway though, and even if they do, nobody will be interested in watching it.

Yes they do, Youtube proved that a million times over.

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 13:31 Tom

This problem with Glass is only a temporary one. Eventually the electronic/recording elements of glasses will be imperceptible. Beyond that, the recorded data will be sourced from human vision/hearing a la Strange Days, although the playback mechanism will be something safer like the Oculus Rift. So enjoy your small semblance of local privacy while it remains. Not that anyone really wants to record you anyway though, and even if they do, nobody will be interested in watching it.  

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 11:43 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 11:36:
All indecent stuff aside i dont have a problem with people video taping people in a public domain.

I do, it's an etiquette issue and many people are brought up with no etiquette skills. Active filming with an obvious device I can understand and avoid, Glass some dude can just be wearing across the street and I have no idea I'm being featured in his weirdo production. Passive filming devices are fucking annoying for several reasons, creeping on women and other people not the least withstanding.

Seriously go watch that episode I mentioned sometime, its an eye opener for little things people don't think about with this sort of technology and not in a conspiracy theory nutcase way.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 11:36 dj LiTh

Interesting, thats if they do indeed work after you take them off. Since they rely on the eye to navigate the menu's and such i'm willing to bet theres a sensor that can switch it off if they are taken off to save battery. Its a valid point though. All indecent stuff aside i dont have a problem with people video taping people in a public domain.  

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 11:11 Verno

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 09:38:
I dont get the perv connection really. Whats the difference between a cell phone camera. Atleast you can deffinitely tell someone's head is under a ladies skirt or under a bathroom stall...

It's not obvious? You can tell when someone is recording you with a phone for the most part. It requires more precise positioning and you have a chance to object since you will be informed. Someone can already be recording with Glass and doing so passively without your knowledge or consent. If I wanted to be on TV I would have gone into the arts.

Some people liken it to "traffic cameras" which are glorified surveillance but guess what? I don't like those either

Go watch Season 1 Episode 3 of Black Mirror by Charlie Brooker, it is a great showcase of why we don't need permanent, active video recording capability for society as a whole.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 10:26 Cutter

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 09:38:
I dont get the perv connection really. Whats the difference between a cell phone camera. Atleast you can deffinitely tell someone's head is under a ladies skirt or under a bathroom stall...

Anyways i'm looking forward to this, not to have it but just to advance technology...next stop deus ex implants and hud.
s

A cell phone is obvious, these are not. People can have glasses in hand or positioned where they otherwise look innocuous and most people aren't going to think they're a recording device. Just wait and see, it'll happen.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 09:38 dj LiTh

Anyways i'm looking forward to this, not to have it but just to advance technology...next stop deus ex implants and hud.
s

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 08:34 zombiefan

...and besides, just wait till the in-Glass advertisements start showing up. Fucking joke, this is.  

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 05:58 Julio

Google glass just screams pervert, as well as lack of privacy.  

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 03:18 Lord Tea

I'm glad they set the price to $1500 and make the user agree to a truckload of restrictions, so 99.999% of the population lose interest in this (un)cool product.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 26, 2013, 21:53 Cutter

I can hardly wait till Google starts getting sued from all the pervs using those glasses to film upskirts, in bathrooms, change rooms, etc. etc.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo