Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August

2K Games announces the promised "fresh look at the long-awaited squad-based tactical shooter in development at 2K Marin" with the announcement that the first-person shooter formerly known as XCOM is being rebranded as a third-person shooter called The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, saying the game will be released on August 20th in North America and August 23rd in other territories, with preorders are already underway. This rebranding was tipped by some new domains spotted a couple of months ago, and suspicions such a move was coming were reinforced when the game's website recently went missing, but as recently indicated, they are not severing ties with the XCOM universe. The switch to a third-person perspective was also tipped last year, and is touched upon in an interview on games.on.net, where 2K Marin creative director Morgan Gray talks about the project and these changes. The game's new website is online, here is some concept art and a live-action trailer, and here's word:

Windsor, UK – April 26, 2013 – 2K and 2K Marin, makers of BioShock® 2, announced today that The Bureau: XCOM Declassified will be released on August 20, 2013 in North America and August 23, 2013 internationally on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC. XCOM: Enemy Unknown, developed by Firaxis Games, dazzled turn-based strategy fans and rebooted the classic franchise. Now The Bureau will deliver a new experience within the XCOM universe.

Set in 1962 at the height of the Cold War, The Bureau tells the origin story of the clandestine XCOM organisation’s first encounter with a mysterious and devastating enemy. Originally established as America’s covert defense against the Soviet Union, The Bureau must adapt and overcome a threat unlike anything the world has faced before. As special agent William Carter, players will call the shots and pull the trigger, leading their squad of agents in the high-stakes secret war for humanity’s survival. Paramount to repelling the outside threat is The Bureau’s ability to cover-up the enemy’s existence in order to prevent worldwide panic.

“We’re thrilled about 2K Marin’s refined vision for The Bureau: XCOM Declassified,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “The game has evolved through a creative and iterative development process, and the result is a narrative-driven experience that is smart, engaging, and challenges players to think tactically.”

“The Bureau tells the story of XCOM’s mysterious beginnings,” said Morgan Gray, creative director at 2K Marin. “We’re expanding the universe with a declassified tale of government conspiracy and heroic cover-ups told through third-person tactical gameplay.”

In the spirit of the XCOM franchise, The Bureau’s calculated combat design requires players to think and act tactically. The game’s third-person perspective gives the player a sense of spatial awareness and grants them the freedom to transition in and out Carter’s unique Battle Focus ability seamlessly – heightening the tactical shooter action. The Bureau also fully embraces the concept of permanent consequence. As our last line of defense, every command can mean the difference between life and death for Carter, his squad and mankind.

“The team has been working hard to leverage core XCOM elements like tactical decision-making and permanent death of squad mates in a purposeful way that makes this a unique tactical shooter,” added Gray. “To that end, The Bureau will challenge players unlike any other third-person tactical shooter.”

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified can be pre-ordered today at all participating retailers. Those who pre-order will receive the Codebreakers side-mission as a bonus. In this special campaign side-mission, a communications facility responsible for intercepting and interpreting the enemy’s transmissions has gone dark. Special Agent Carter and his squad must make contact with any remaining personnel and investigate the incident.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is not yet rated by PEGI. For more information, please visit Facebook, or the official web site: http://erasethetruth.com.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 15:33 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 15:20:
Soulburner wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:14:
Third person shooter? Back when it was a first person shooter I thought it was very interesting. Now... I don't.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I saw they were switching to 3rd person.

Ditto

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 15:20 jimnms

Soulburner wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:14:
Third person shooter? Back when it was a first person shooter I thought it was very interesting. Now... I don't.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I saw they were switching to 3rd person.

Steam Profile

21. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 14:25 Beamer

1badmf wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:16:
the history of this game's development doesn't leave much room for hope. this started out as a straight up xcom-cash-in-shooter, morphed into a mission-based research shooter, now a... whatever it is. too many hands in the cookie jar if you ask me. this will suffer from a lack of unified vision and a general blandness, i'd almost guarantee it. great art has never been the work of many hands, but the singular vision of one brilliant mind.

That kind of lack of focus sounds exactly like the original XCOM development.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 14:19 ELITE

Find a new video Editor - this was a shitty trailer.
Hopefully the game is better.

19. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 14:18 Parias

Wikidd wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 13:46:
Third person squad based tactical shooter makes it sound like Full Spectrum Warrior, which is one of my favourite ever TPS. If it's basically Full Spectrum Warrior in a 50s X-COM universe this might actually be good.

That'd actually be pretty awesome - especially if it had the co-op play. FSW really was a lot of fun (especially Ten Hammers), if a touch unforgiving.

18. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:51 nin

Wikidd wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 13:46:
Third person squad based tactical shooter makes it sound like Full Spectrum Warrior, which is one of my favourite ever TPS. If it's basically Full Spectrum Warrior in a 50s X-COM universe this might actually be good.

I'd feel a lot more confident if the game had been designed that way from the start, and not revamped several years in.

Having said that, I do like the idea of an xcom origin.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:46 Wikidd

16. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:41 WyldKat

The biggest thing I want to know is if this is still a corridor shooter as they had shown off last fall. Going from FPS to TPS doesn't matter at all if the levels are still as painfully linear.  

15. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 13:02 Warskull

2K Marin isn't exactly a pedigree studio. Bioshock 2 was significantly weaker than its predecessor. They've mostly succeeded by riding the coattails of Irrational Games.

I don't think this game will necessarily be bad, but it probably won't be good. It will most likely land in that bland, forgettable, uninspiring middle ground. The long development cycle is a bit concerning too.

This is definitely one of those games where you wait for the trustworthy reviewers and most likely pick it up on sale.

14. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 12:37 jdreyer

That's a cool trailer, but I wish they'd shown some gameplay footage. This is like those movie teaser trailers where they don't show any footage from the movie.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 12:17 Parias

McSterls wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:39:
Is there anything in this trailer that makes you think the game will be fun? I didn't see anything.

Yes - the fact that they're putting some effort behind the feeling and atmosphere of the game rather than it just being a raw run and gun shooter.

I agree with the concern over the lack of actual gameplay footage and there's still every chance this may turn out terrible, but this does seem like it now might have a chance of being interesting.

12. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 12:16 1badmf

the history of this game's development doesn't leave much room for hope. this started out as a straight up xcom-cash-in-shooter, morphed into a mission-based research shooter, now a... whatever it is. too many hands in the cookie jar if you ask me. this will suffer from a lack of unified vision and a general blandness, i'd almost guarantee it. great art has never been the work of many hands, but the singular vision of one brilliant mind.  

11. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 12:14 Soulburner

10. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 11:56 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:33:

Sounds interesting, but I'll be waiting on a number of positive reviews...

Yeah, really about the only thing that the original idea for this game had going for it was the whole "you only have so much time before alien reinforcements overwhelm a level" thing. Well, that and the stylish 50's look.

Also, if this game actually sucks, they'd be fucking stupid to release it. XCOM currently has good name value again due to the excellent Enemy Unknown, if they now release Yet Another Shitty Shooter, that good name goes right down the crapper again.

Of course, we're talking about game publishers, so odds are good that the latter scenario seems just absolutely fantastic to them.

Creston

9. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 11:53 Blackhawk

McSterls wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 11:47:
Blackhawk wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 11:23:
Is there anything in this trailer that makes you think the game will be fun? I didn't see anything.

Er, it wasn't supposed to tell you anything about how fun the game will be. It was supposed to give you an idea of the atmosphere they're going for.

I thought it was supposed to make me want to buy the game. It didn't.

No, it was supposed to make you aware of the game, of its setting and of its style. It was supposed to stir up discussion and start the word-of-mouth process. The actual attempts to sway you to buy it will come later.

8. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 11:47 McSterls

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 11:23:

Er, it wasn't supposed to tell you anything about how fun the game will be. It was supposed to give you an idea of the atmosphere they're going for.

I thought it was supposed to make me want to buy the game. It didn't.

7. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 11:27 Techie714 ©

siapnar wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:55:
Great music in the trailer.
Interesting way of hyping the game.

Likewise this is a wait-for-reviews type thing... that or extensive gameplay videos.

What he said.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 11:23 Blackhawk

5. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 10:55 siapnar

Great music in the trailer.
Interesting way of hyping the game.

Likewise this is a wait-for-reviews type thing... that or extensive gameplay videos.

I have projectile dysfunction.

4. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 10:39 McSterls

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo