Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs

Publisher Focus Home Interactive announces the Windows PC edition of Mars War Logs is now available, offering role-playing in the science fiction vein (in case the Mars part wasn't a giveaway) from Spiders Studio. The game is available through digital distribution, and they say the console editions will be available "very soon" on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network. Here's a launch trailer, and here's the deal on the game, where you play as Doug Roy, who is caught up in a rebellion over the red planet's scarce supply of air water:

Mars War Logs takes you to Mars, nearly a century after a huge cataclysm that threw Mars and its colonies into chaos. You play as Roy, a renegade caught in the middle of a civil war, while different corporations fight over the most precious resource, water. Follow an immense main quest in which every choice counts, develop your character and your combat style by choosing among many different talents and skills. In dynamic, real-time combat, face fearsome opponents including some of the most terrifying creatures of Mars. The craft system lets you create and modify your equipment, your weapons and your armor.

Your behavior during dialogues, as well as your choices and decisions will influence your companions and the fate of the people who will cross your path… and maybe the fate of all the colonies on Mars.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 27, 2013, 15:55 Redmask

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:45:
This looks really interesting, I'll check it out tonight.

Save yourself the trouble verno. It is really bad, a b-list RPG with awful characters, story and production values. I have no idea what the other guy is thinking, I think he just has bad taste in games because he seems to love crap in general. Playing this for 30 minutes had me ready to uninstall it for good.

The babby you save from the fat dude at the start who inexplicably becomes your lifelong companion is called "Innocence." That's his name. Real subtle with the RPG symbolism here of mars and men guys, real fucking smooth.

The revolutionary combat system where you had to apply to make each move via a series of triplicate requisition forms is gone, replaced by a trendy real-time action system in which you constantly face the wrong way and sometimes throw sand at the backs of people's heads. Skill system seems to be ripping off The Witcher 2 directly this time, while the MORAL CHOICE system (choices matter, a rarity in a downloadable title,) seems to have been amputated from Bioshock. Essentially, you get a 'serum' extraction syringe near the beginning of the game, and after you "knock down" an enemy (beat them senseless,) you have the choice of whether to valiantly leave them alive to learn the error of their ways through a life of piety and self-reflection, or suck out their Geneseed for five credits. Let me restate that: You literally decide whether to let your mortal enemies go, or process them into dollar bills. Which isn't much of a choice at all when I look at it written out like that.

Let me be direct. Of Mars and Men is bad. Spiders haven't learned anything of value from their last two efforts. It's somehow made worse by the fact that it isn't as directly mechanically offensive as the previous titles from these people because some part of you wants to hold it to a higher standard than it can possibly achieve, such as 'average'. But basically you can play this instead of cutting or self-harm because it's every bit as painful but won't cause nerve damage until you finally drive a fork through your eye to make the memory go away forever.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2013, 18:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 15:05 netnerd85

The mechanics for upgrading skills, weapons and armour are a lot more indepth than what I first thought. I've just battled a mini-boss type creature and got to use the combat system more. There is a tactical menu that you can use to heal, throw bombs, set traps, shoot during combat, you can select the enemy you want to action against on this screen, it slows down time.

... anyone think they hear the moans of an old tired b*tchy bridge troll? no...

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 14:09 Cutter

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be $5 before long.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 14:04 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:52:
Thanks for the impressions, I think based on what you're saying I'm going to pass for now since it sounds like a kitchen sink game without much focus. Also Rage wasn't exactly my favorite game so I'm not sure something like it with weaker gameplay elements will be up my alley.
Don't just take my word for it Watch gameplay footage etc. Plus I only played 92 mins so far, going back now for some more!

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 12:52 Verno

Thanks for the impressions, I think based on what you're saying I'm going to pass for now since it sounds like a kitchen sink game without much focus. Also Rage wasn't exactly my favorite game so I'm not sure something like it with weaker gameplay elements will be up my alley.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 12:28 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 11:40:
Thanks for the first impressions. Can you talk a bit more about the RPG elements and the combat system? The features page makes the game seem like a little of everything and it's kind of difficult to get a feel for its gameplay as a result. Does it play like an action RPG or is it a hybrid like Alpha Protocol?
I played like 30 mins of Alpha Protocol so I'm not sure.

RPG elements. You pick up bits and pieces from flashing garbage and boxes that you can craft into items - actually similar to RAGE. You can experience during combat that you use for Feats and on the skill tree. I guess you get experience for completing mission objectives too. All pretty standard stuff in the tree, combat and health related bits.

You can talk to a limited amount of people. You do have choices but nothing that seems to actually matter and nothing straying from the 3 response formula.

What else... level design is basic but it still looks nice, it has style but just needed more $budget$ love. The animations are shoe string budget.

Combat: can't say at this stage. It's getting better as time goes on, you can do a fair bit by the looks of it, it's just done basic. You can upgrade weapons (definitely) and armour (by the looks of it). Dodge, block, stun, kick attacks...

It looks like they tried a lot with a VERY small budget. I'm guessing you might love the intention or hate the execution. Know what I mean?

I haven't played a lot of RPG games. Two Worlds, Skyrim, RAGE?, Arcania, Dark Souls and others. If you checked out Underrail, I'd call it a mix of RAGE and Underrail if that makes sense.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 11:45 eRe4s3r

Can you go into more details? Is it fun? Combat decent? RPG elements yes/no/cake? How deep are they?

Never heard of this before so.. uhm, their marketing failed I guess.

Also Divinity: Original Sin just completely Kickstarting with all Stretch Goals met (The 1m goal shy of 1m by 6k but they honor it anyway) Well I am in, so let's hope they make this epic.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2013, 12:16.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 11:40 Verno

Thanks for the first impressions. Can you talk a bit more about the RPG elements and the combat system? The features page makes the game seem like a little of everything and it's kind of difficult to get a feel for its gameplay as a result. Does it play like an action RPG or is it a hybrid like Alpha Protocol?  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 11:35 netnerd85

Played 92 mins of it so far, it's good. Being only $20 it feels like a $20 game but it has it's charm or should I say, Innocence

If you want a Mars game, it is that, but so far the world isn't as interactive or full of life as what I hoped.

I paid $16 from GMG, so... I'm happy enough with it so far.

BTW, DO NOT BUY THIS FOR ANY CHILD it has dark Adult content.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 10:12 nin

Zyrxil wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:53:
Wait what, it's just out? I was under the impression it was still in development, and they were just beginning their publicity campaign.

The timing does seem odd, as after watching that video last week, I had the same vibe as you.

edit: Steam doesn't mention anything about it being in beta.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 09:53 Zyrxil

Wait what, it's just out? I was under the impression it was still in development, and they were just beginning their publicity campaign.  

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 09:45 Verno

This looks really interesting, I'll check it out tonight.  

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Mars War Logs Apr 26, 2013, 09:34 nin

Hope it's decent - that last video (last week?) didn't look bad, other than the slightly goofy name.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo