Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

As predicted, I found the first round of the draft exciting, even if the Giants made a pretty mundane pick. Hats off the Vikings for being what seems to be the obvious winner of the day, and all prejudices aside, hats back on for the Cowboys for their epic fail. Jerry Jones has never found a pooch he couldn't screw as he nears the start of a third decade of trying to prove he deserves credit for the championship teams Jimmy Johnson built.

R.I.P.: Jim Mackonochie, flight sim mainstay. Thanks nin via Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Drafty Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Stormy Castle
Stories: US tourists swim for 14 hours after boat sinks.
Officer helps deliver baby on freeway for 2nd time. Hero, or preggo stalker?
Sheriff: Woman killed by lion left door open.
Science: Einstein's Theory of Relativity Holds Up in Tiny But Massive Objects.
Getting junk out of Earth’s orbit needs more urgency.
Earth's Core 1,000 Degrees Hotter Than Expected.
Media: Alexander Graham Bell: Smithsonian Releases 128-Year-Old Recording Of The Telephone Inventor.
Close Call Compilation.
RC Cattle Drive.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2013, 09:26 xXBatmanXx

Prez wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 22:30:
I read it, so you can stow your condescending attitude. The lion broke the girl's neck and thus it would have been laying at a very unnatural angle. She was very obviously dead. Cops just like to shoot things; there's no ramifications when it's only animals.

eh, we do like to shoot stuff, but it also saved tons of time and money for the courts to say the animal has to be put down - cause I am pretty sure by law in any state it would have to be.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2013, 22:30 Prez

I read it, so you can stow your condescending attitude. The lion broke the girl's neck and thus it would have been laying at a very unnatural angle. She was very obviously dead. Cops just like to shoot things; there's no ramifications when it's only animals.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2013, 22:04 1badmf

do you guys actually bother reading articles? they killed it cuz the zoo keepers couldn't coax it away from the girl's body, who they didn't know was already dead. a tranq would've taken too long had she been alive and needed medical attention. they would've done the same thing to a human who attacked someone and wouldn't stand down.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2013, 21:57 Prez

I feel terrible for the girl she made a critical mistake but still it's a tragedy. But it pisses me off that law enforcement is so gung-ho to kill animals every chance they get. There was no reason this animal needed to die.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2013, 11:31 1badmf

Fantaz wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 08:04:
nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 22:57:
A tragedy for both woman and lion.

Especially the lion. It behaved like the predator it is.

Horrible to hear that the lion had to die... only in the U.S. they allow it, to kill animals like this.

riiiiight. cuz they didn't killa couple tigers that ate some dumbass tourists in germany a couple years ago. oh wait they did! dumbass.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2013, 08:04 Fantaz

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 22:57:

Horrible to hear that the lion had to die... only in the U.S. they allow it, to kill animals like this.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 22:57 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 20:55 LittleMe

Blue I love your science sub-section links, as usual. Thank you!  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 18:47 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 18:12:
You would think they would have some kind of airlock double door system for dangerous animals. It's unlikely you'd leave one door open, much less likely you'd forget to close them both.

it's sad, but people get conditioned to an environment or situation, they get complacent, and shit like this goes down. i work in a fairly dangerous environment (an airport) and you can be damn sure i follow every safety procedure to the letter every time. and it makes me sad and angry when i see the people i work with slack off and take shortcuts just cuz they're too lazy to spend the extra 10 seconds doing a job safer but slightly slower.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 18:12 jdreyer

You would think they would have some kind of airlock double door system for dangerous animals. It's unlikely you'd leave one door open, much less likely you'd forget to close them both.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 16:38 McSterls

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 13:57:
Woo! The Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter is over and they've made all their stretch goals! 944k there and the rest through Paypal! Yeah, I'm effing stoked like an effing effer! Can not wait to get my hands on it!!!

Gamefly has a few good sales on today including Anno 2070 (basic) for $10 finally. So I'm in on that one - especially after seeing how hooked Cres is on it.

Woot! Found an active 20% off coupon for Gamefly - GFD20OFF! So that brought Anno down to $7.99

Ugh, so it's not a Steam key. You need to install the Gamefly client. On the up side I totally forgot that they acquired Driect2Drive all those years back and it turns out I have 13 games listed in my library. Oh well, for $8 I can deal.

8 bucks, that's a good deal. I paid 30 on sale at Steam and still haven't gotten around to playing it....yet!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 16:28 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 16:22:
The Gamefly client isn't too bad. I don't boot it on startup, only when I'm going to play one of the few games I have on there. After I'm done, I just close it. One of the pains is that b/c I load it so infrequently, the client software almost always has to install a new version when I do.

Ugh, that reminds me of using Calibre. Every time I open that thing to convert an ebook it needs an update, every damned time! I donated to the project and asked the developers to include a background update service or option, drives me nuts having to do it manually every time (I know, first world probs!).

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 16:22 jdreyer

Woot! Found an active 20% off coupon for Gamefly - GFD20OFF! So that brought Anno down to $7.99

Ugh, so it's not a Steam key. You need to install the Gamefly client. On the up side I totally forgot that they acquired Driect2Drive all those years back and it turns out I have 13 games listed in my library. Oh well, for $8 I can deal.

The Gamefly client isn't too bad. I don't boot it on startup, only when I'm going to play one of the few games I have on there. After I'm done, I just close it. One of the pains is that b/c I load it so infrequently, the client software almost always has to install a new version when I do.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 15:52 xXBatmanXx

Woo! The Divinity: Original Sin kickstarter is over and they've made all their stretch goals! 944k there and the rest through Paypal! Yeah, I'm effing stoked like an effing effer! Can not wait to get my hands on it!!!

hmmm, wish I wouldn't have missed this....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 13:57 Cutter

Gamefly has a few good sales on today including Anno 2070 (basic) for $10 finally. So I'm in on that one - especially after seeing how hooked Cres is on it.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2013, 14:44.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 13:13 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:07:
so he was walking around with his junk dangling out in front of his sister? that musta been awkward. the *puts sunglasses on* elephant in the room, you might say.
I assume he was down to his underwear...

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2013, 14:27.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Close Call Compilation Apr 26, 2013, 12:12 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:26:
McSterls wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:12:
Turns out close calls aren't as much fun as Head on Collision Compilations.

I don't go to krankr (so I'm not sure if it was included), but did you see this one?

ummmm.....nice job 2 motorcycles ahead of that car causing an accident....car didn't feel safe passing them, and the truck slams into a vehicle that is stopped that shouldn't be....multiple parties at fault on that one.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 12:11 xXBatmanXx

whoops....nothing to see here.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 12:07 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:01:
Nice little story about the tourists surviving 14 hours in the ocean. Especially the quote from the brother -- "Dan Suski had gotten rid of his shorts, having recalled a saying when he was a kid that 'the best-dressed corpses wear cotton.'"

so he was walking around with his junk dangling out in front of his sister? that musta been awkward. the *puts sunglasses on* elephant in the room, you might say.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 26, 2013, 12:05 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:45:
Officer helps deliver baby on freeway for 2nd time.

Friend of mine's got this two story house. His daughter has a friend staying over one night, and (in the dark) instead of going right, into the bathroom, she goes left...straight down the stairs. Fractured her collarbone, paramedics show up to transport her.

About 6 months later (same house), my friend has an interaction between his anti-seizure meds, and some cold/flu meds the doctor game him, and has a seizure.

Exact same two paramedics show up. They made some joke about "weren't we just here?"

It is odd, if I go to a residence in the city I work....I can recall each time I have been there just by stepping into the residence (medical, domestic, etc etc etc)....at times it is uncanny, but things just stick. If I go somewhere where someone dies, and I dont recognize anyone (ie elderly person dies in an apartment and now there are different people there) one of my questions is always, "So....how long have you guys lived HERE".

US tourists swim for 14 hours after boat sinks.
Read that article last night....wow....talk about personal drive to live. Swam some 30+ miles....a lot of it overnight...in OPEN WATER! *dunn dunn........dunn dunn.....dun dun dun dun DUN DUN DUN DUN!!!!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo