Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Defense Grid 2 Announced

Hidden Path Entertainment announces they are developing Defense Grid 2, a full sequel to their tower defense game. The game was the subject of a Kickstarter in July of last year which reached the funding goal to trigger development of Containment, an eight-level expansion for the original game, but failed to reach the target to fund a sequel. Now word is this all inspired an investor to come in and make it rain: "The support and enthusiasm of the DG community got the attention of an investor who made up the funding gap. Now we’ve got enough money to make DG2." They say the game is being developed for Windows, OS X, and Linux for release through Steam next year. Here's what they are revealing for now of their plans for the game: "So much stuff. A new campaign, multiple planets, freakin’ MULTIPLAYER modes, user-created content support, new aliens, new towers and new characters, and the ability to create—wait for it—custom levels."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 27, 2013, 14:29 eRe4s3r

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 22:03:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 03:25:
Too much MP focus always destroys the SP gameplay. If you are being particularly evil, look at SOTS2, a game so completely and utterly ruined by MP support it is still completely fucking broken even today. And not just in terms of bugs, but in terms of general gameplay design and core functionality of the engine.

Now I will freely admit that what you mention wasn't even my intention to say, of course in case of DG more or less MP is not going to change the basic gameplay, it is still a "ok" tower defense game among a see of mediocre tower defense games.

But too strong MP focus can ruin a game's SP. Heck, look at Blizzard... they are the epitome of how MP destroys the SP of a game.
I totally agree that MP focus can screw over SP gameplay and make a game suck. And that MP in that sucky ends up often not being played past the first month.

I'm just taking exception to you saying THIS PARTICULAR GAME adding MP will do it. I gave my specific reasons why it won't.

Also, as a side note, I'm a mostly SP person, and am unlikely to play MP in this game, and never asked for it. I just don't think it will change much, for THIS game (and my earlier post specifically said THIS).

I agree with you I was speaking more generally about games not about DG2 as such. Was just replying to the original post in a lazy fashion

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 27, 2013, 12:37 deqer

Defense Grid is a good game.

I did not let myself be "nickel and dimed" by DLCs' expansion packs; they are wise to make a new game "Defense Grid 2", because THAT, I will buy. And it's been long enough for me to feel comfortable buying it; it's not like EA where they make a new Defense Grid game every year; nope, I won't support that.

31. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 22:03 Dev

Too much MP focus always destroys the SP gameplay. If you are being particularly evil, look at SOTS2, a game so completely and utterly ruined by MP support it is still completely fucking broken even today. And not just in terms of bugs, but in terms of general gameplay design and core functionality of the engine.

Now I will freely admit that what you mention wasn't even my intention to say, of course in case of DG more or less MP is not going to change the basic gameplay, it is still a "ok" tower defense game among a see of mediocre tower defense games.

But too strong MP focus can ruin a game's SP. Heck, look at Blizzard... they are the epitome of how MP destroys the SP of a game.
I totally agree that MP focus can screw over SP gameplay and make a game suck. And that MP in that sucky ends up often not being played past the first month.

I'm just taking exception to you saying THIS PARTICULAR GAME adding MP will do it. I gave my specific reasons why it won't.

Also, as a side note, I'm a mostly SP person, and am unlikely to play MP in this game, and never asked for it. I just don't think it will change much, for THIS game (and my earlier post specifically said THIS).

30. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 21:56 Saboth

IMO, Orcs Must Die 2 is a good demonstration of this. You can play it single player, but you will run your ass off trying to cover entry points. Another game is Dungeon Defenders. Although that game was designed around MP, the single player suffers the same as OMD2. You will run, run, run trying to cover points instead of fighting, planning, etc.

29. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 17:31 Mr. Tact

Spent the money on developing other games? I had the same question when they began the Kickstarter. It has been four years. *shrug*  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

28. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 16:39 McSterls

Still don't understand how a sequel to a "hit" needs or deserves kickstarter funding for a sequel.  

27. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 15:32 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 13:14:
Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:01:
but they set the funding goal at 250K for just an expansion to the original.
They did and it is out.

I know, but that's not what I wanted to fund. I wanted to fund the sequel, but in their kickstarter, there was never any guarantee that if it funded 250K, the sequel would ever get made. (other than their "Oh, we'll find a way!" half-hearted reassurances.)

It just felt a little shady to me. I'm glad to see I was wrong, and they're going to get the game made, but at the time I was very doubtful, hence I didn't back it.

Creston

26. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 13:14 Mr. Tact

Creston wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:01:
but they set the funding goal at 250K for just an expansion to the original.
They did and it is out.

25. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 12:05 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 10:12:
Oh and extra points for them having a good sense of humor:

Wait! I thought we didn’t raise enough Kickstarter money to make DG2. What happened?

You happened. The support and enthusiasm of the DG community got the attention of an investor who made up the funding gap. Now we’ve got enough money to make DG2.

Who is this awesome investor?

It’s a secret for now. We’ll tell that story a bit later.

Whoa. Is it Batman?

No. It isn’t Batman.

Is it…?

It’s not Bruce Wayne, either. Or Tony Stark.

My money's on Steven Dengler (aka Dracogen Strategic Investments). And if that's true, the man deserves to be nominated for Sainthood.

Creston

24. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 12:02 Creston

Slashman wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 23:42:
Where the hell is my DG nemesis? Crestoooooooon!!!!

Did you beat any of my scores yet, young Padawan?

El Pit wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 23:50:
YES! Awesome. Time to check Creston's scores and break those that are better than mine.

Mwuhahahahahahaaa! Foolish one! My scores are unbreakable!

Creston

23. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 12:01 Creston

AWE.SOME.

I didn't back the Kickstarter because I didn't like the way they were doing it. All I was interested in was the sequel game, but they set the funding goal at 250K for just an expansion to the original. I thought it was a pretty underhanded way to run a Kickstarter, and I'm glad that tactic hasn't had many attempts since then.

That said, I LOVE Defense Grid, according to Steam I have 248 some hours in it, so I'm definitely excited for DG2, and I'll gladly pay full price for it.

Creston

22. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 11:19 Optional nickname

I really enjoyed Defense Grid 1, never replayed it much, but it held me non-stop until I finished it. Looking Fwd to DF2. Thanks blues for reminding me about that game, I remember, or I thought, that this sequel was supposed to be released already last year? Devs probably partied hard with all that Kickstarter money, woke up with a hangover, and said, oh **** we need to code DF2!  

21. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 10:12 Mr. Tact

Oh and extra points for them having a good sense of humor:

Wait! I thought we didn’t raise enough Kickstarter money to make DG2. What happened?

You happened. The support and enthusiasm of the DG community got the attention of an investor who made up the funding gap. Now we’ve got enough money to make DG2.

Who is this awesome investor?

It’s a secret for now. We’ll tell that story a bit later.

Whoa. Is it Batman?

No. It isn’t Batman.

Is it…?

It’s not Bruce Wayne, either. Or Tony Stark.

20. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 09:55 Optional Nickname!

I think the Tower Defense genre is one of the better, newer gaming genres that still has a great deal of potential.

I'm still trying to get every DG1 achievement...green towers only, geesh.

19. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 09:45 dj LiTh

Really looking forward to this one. The addition of a map editor for custom levels is going to be awesome and give this TD game some staying power, now all they need is more towers!  

18. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 09:36 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 07:41:
Of course I am weird

But I just mocked the post that a "majority" of the community wanted MP. No, the majority of the DG community (meaning those that bought it) never even visited the forums or played a single MP game.

The first game didn't even have multiplayer so of course people couldn't play it. I think his point still stands that it was the most popular feature request and the developers are implementing it so tough luck, I guess you'll just have to settle for a great SP campaign and having to ignore the multiplayer button in the main menu

I can do that Barely!

17. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 09:09 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 07:41:
Of course I am weird

But I just mocked the post that a "majority" of the community wanted MP. No, the majority of the DG community (meaning those that bought it) never even visited the forums or played a single MP game.

The first game didn't even have multiplayer so of course people couldn't play it. I think his point still stands that it was the most popular feature request and the developers are implementing it so tough luck, I guess you'll just have to settle for a great SP campaign and having to ignore the multiplayer button in the main menu

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 08:08 Mr. Tact

The original was great, played the hell out of it. Never even thought about multiplayer. Barring an avalanche of criticism over poor single player game play prior to launch, this will be a day one purchase.  

15. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 07:41 eRe4s3r

Of course I am weird

But I just mocked the post that a "majority" of the community wanted MP. No, the majority of the DG community (meaning those that bought it) never even visited the forums or played a single MP game. ^^

Aside that I have no idea how you got from what I wrote to what you wrote... I said in the post you obviously must have read, you replied to a post in the middle of the post-tree after all, that I don't think MP in DG2 is gonna change much.

14. Re: Defense Grid 2 Announced Apr 26, 2013, 07:06 Redmask

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 00:51:
Redmask wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 22:21:
Saboth wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 20:26:
Please don't ruin yet another awesome game by putting too much emphasis on multiplayer.

Multiplayer was one of the most requested features from the DG community though, it only makes sense to incorporate it.

Heh.. online forums and topics about "please put MP in" are usually frequented by people who play MP games and want that in... so that's like saying the Fire fan squad was all for more FIRE. Looking at the stats it shows time and time again, most people do NOT play MP.

I don't see any evidence to back up what you're saying and I doubt you know more than the people who made the game. A co-op mode for Defense Grid is not going to kill the core gameplay, you're just being weird.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo