Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Cuts Staff

Following shortly after a rumor that EA Partners is closing, comes an EA Organizational Update on the Electronic Arts website announcing recent realignments "behind priorities in new technologies and mobile" (ruh-roh) have caused them to cut staff. They are not specific, but there's an unconfirmed report on Kotaku saying they've "heard from a couple of sources" that this may affect as much as 10% of EA's workforce. Here's the statement:

In recent weeks, EA has aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile. This has led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of our employees – those that are leaving EA will be missed by their colleagues and friends.

These are hard but essential changes as we focus on delivering great games and showing players around the world why to spend their time with us.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:21 SirKnight

as we focus on delivering great games

LOL! Since when does EA deliver great games?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:05 Slick

ASeven wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 17:38:
EA is reaping now the price of the fucked up business model that permeates the publishers all over and unfortunately it's the people that get sacked that truly pay the price.

Honestly, it seems as if the new-old CEO took a look at the financial papers of EA and went "Holy shit we're almost extinct! Quick, cut costs everywhere!"

Publishers are stupid though and the price they will pay for this fucked up business model will be huge.

lol, "holy shit we're almost extinct?" hmmmm... says the largest game publisher/developer on the planet... they could lose 90% of their staff and still be one of the biggest videogame companies on the planet. soooo, you want your hyperbole back? it's hard to take you seriously.

gotta love the glorified "vive la revolution" rhetoric on this board. a handful of people shooting spit-wads at the lumbering 2,000,000 ton steel behemoth like they're going to have any effect whatsoever. Legit complaints are great, and welcome, there's definately lots of moves EA has executed which were handled horribly, and the people who made those calls should be fired first. but all this hyperbole only serves to not take the haters seriously. TALK LIKE A GROWNUP, AND PEOPLE WILL LISTEN. TALK LIKE A CHILD, AND YOUR WORDS WILL NEVER REACH THEIR INTENDED AUDIENCES.

these people voted a videogame company "more EVIL" than banks and oil producers. gotta stop and wonder if they have a bias? maybe EA wiped their account when they were caught hacking or something, lol.

guy A) i spilled 210,000,000 gallons of oil into the gulf of mexico

guy B) i rig the economy for the rich with the fed so that i'm too-big-to-fail, while foreclosing houses on poor people

guy C) i introduced DLC and microtransactions into the videogames that i make

how can anyone take you people seriously when you voted for Guy C?

if anyone can explain that to me, you'll have my attention, but until that's settled, you can't take all the hate seriously. seriously!

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

16. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 17:53 Cutter

I only worked for EA for a year and half but it was hardly non-stop crunch. Yeah, crunch times were fucking ridiculous and stupid when they occurred but most of the time it was pretty standard 9-5 and even then you had a lot more leeway for goofing off than you would in a normal office environment.

I always felt crunch time was silly because study after study has shown that every hour after 8 hours your productivity declines while costs keep going up. And after 10-12 hours most people are just on auto-pilot and very little real work is being accomplished. And ultimately, crunch time is entirely indicative of poor time management and scheduling in the first place. Maybe 2 or 3 days before the master is shipped you put in some more time to dot the i's and cross the t's but beyond that it's pointless.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 17:51 Slick

people getting fired for blunders at the corporate level sucks, but all of these cuts seem to have been coming from their mobile gaming divisions...

sounds like when they have to tighten their belt the parts of the company that are posting losses would be cut first. smells like they over-extended into the "hot" "new" mobile gaming sector a bit to fast.

And I hate to point it out (actually i love to), that this story has nothing to do with EA's large-team console/pc titles. It's about short-sighted dumping money into the "next big thing" without really having enough data to make extrapolations. If you only listened to all the keynote speeches at the various developer conferences over the past 3-4 years, they all seemed to be going gaga for mobile/social gaming. It was their golden goose, which turned out to shit bricks. EA is not alone in this mis-calculation. "social gaming" lol, look what happened to the "zynga" bubble as reference.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

14. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 17:38 ASeven

EA is reaping now the price of the fucked up business model that permeates the publishers all over and unfortunately it's the people that get sacked that truly pay the price.

Honestly, it seems as if the new-old CEO took a look at the financial papers of EA and went "Holy shit we're almost extinct! Quick, cut costs everywhere!"

Publishers are stupid though and the price they will pay for this fucked up business model will be huge.

13. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 17:14 NKD

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:56:
don't care if their health is ruined after a couple years of working in nonstop crunch time.

Let's not exaggerate here. The average person's health isn't "ruined" after 2 years of long hours at a desk job. Especially one that provides good health insurance. It may be a shitty and unfair work experience, but it's not like they are coming out of it with a ruined back, ruined knees, and a lung disorder.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 17:08 Panickd

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:56:
Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:34:

That's true to an extent, but EA employs a huge amount of fresh college graduates who probably don't know anything more about EA than "Biggest publisher and they make Madden, bro!"

I think expecting to get fucked over is a realistic attitude to have for probably 98% or so of all corporations in the US...

Creston

This is a big problem in every major studio. They hire college grads who aren't married or have any family attachments and don't care if their health is ruined after a couple years of working in nonstop crunch time. Then they are layed off and a fresh batch are brought in.

It's called life experience. It's what stamps out naivete.

Fantasy world: "Video games are awesome! I want to work in that industry!"

Reality: "Fuck this was such a grind working 80 hour weeks but at least it's done even though we had to cut back a lot of the features. What do you mean I'm fired?"

To be fair it's not any different in any other industry. A few really excel and rise through the ranks while the majority get laid off every time the stock hiccups.

11. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:56 Mad Max RW

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:34:

That's true to an extent, but EA employs a huge amount of fresh college graduates who probably don't know anything more about EA than "Biggest publisher and they make Madden, bro!"

I think expecting to get fucked over is a realistic attitude to have for probably 98% or so of all corporations in the US...

Creston

This is a big problem in every major studio. They hire college grads who aren't married or have any family attachments and don't care if their health is ruined after a couple years of working in nonstop crunch time. Then they are layed off and a fresh batch are brought in.

10. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:35 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 15:49:
EA switches to Sim City mode. People with no jobs and no income make happy citizens.

Hehehehe. Giggle

Creston

9. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:34 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:32:
Still, 10% is a huge amount of people, so it sucks for those losing their jobs solely because EA is run by fucktards who can't figure out how to make some actual money in the #1 entertainment industry in the world.

I wonder if there's actually people that took a job at EA and didn't expect to get fucked over at some point?

Creston

8. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:32 nin

Still, 10% is a huge amount of people, so it sucks for those losing their jobs solely because EA is run by fucktards who can't figure out how to make some actual money in the #1 entertainment industry in the world.

I wonder if there's actually people that took a job at EA and didn't expect to get fucked over at some point?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

7. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:29 Creston

showing players around the world why to spend their time with us.

I think SimCity will have shown people why NOT to do so, and your 2.0 patch only reinforced it.

Still, 10% is a huge amount of people, so it sucks for those losing their jobs solely because EA is run by fucktards who can't figure out how to make some actual money in the #1 entertainment industry in the world. EA's execs make Hollywood look like Mensa in comparison.

Creston

6. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:14 netnerd85

EA remind me of Veridian Dynamics, or is it the other way round since EA is real  

5. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 16:12 Kosumo

They'll be cutting them to get blood from them to sell on the black market .... nothing new here people, move along.  

4. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 15:57 El Pit

Quick! Let's save them! We must all buy Sim City NOW!

Or maybe they need to add a RMAH to Sim City? Or make it an MMO card game?

Bah, those gamers are so picky these days.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 15:54 nin

Kajetan wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 15:49:
EA switches to Sim City mode. People with no jobs and no income make happy citizens.

They can't handle cheetah speed!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 15:49 Kajetan

1. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 15:48 Optional nickname

We have work to do folks! There still remains 90%.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo