Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Cuts Staff

Following shortly after a rumor that EA Partners is closing, comes an EA Organizational Update on the Electronic Arts website announcing recent realignments "behind priorities in new technologies and mobile" (ruh-roh) have caused them to cut staff. They are not specific, but there's an unconfirmed report on Kotaku saying they've "heard from a couple of sources" that this may affect as much as 10% of EA's workforce. Here's the statement:

In recent weeks, EA has aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile. This has led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of our employees Ė those that are leaving EA will be missed by their colleagues and friends.

These are hard but essential changes as we focus on delivering great games and showing players around the world why to spend their time with us.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 26, 2013, 09:58 Darks

nin wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:41:
Well, I haven't bought any EA games in a while, but not specifically because of Origin. Although, it is a negative in the consideration process. I wanted SimCity to be good despite the online stupidity. It wasn't, and I haven't purchased it.

I really wanted to try Syndicate, but after the reviews and requiring origin, I couldn't be bothered.

you know that is or was on GMG for 4 dollars with the voucher code.

Yep still is. GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/shooter/syndicate-us-canada/

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 26, 2013, 09:47 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 09:41:
Well, I haven't bought any EA games in a while, but not specifically because of Origin. Although, it is a negative in the consideration process. I wanted SimCity to be good despite the online stupidity. It wasn't, and I haven't purchased it.

I really wanted to try Syndicate, but after the reviews and requiring origin, I couldn't be bothered.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

36. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 26, 2013, 09:41 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 26, 2013, 09:22 Darks

ASeven wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 19:30:
A nice article from some stock brokers that pretty much share my view on EA. They're heading for extinction if nothing is done soon.

That, and the fact that no one likes to use Origin to play their games through. If they get rid of Origin, go back to using steam and stop being douche bags, and then they might save themselves. But otherwise their done. I donít know about the rest of you, but Iíve been boycotting them since they boycotted steam. I havenít bought one of their games since.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

34. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 20:18 Prez

how can anyone take you people seriously when you voted for Guy C?

if anyone can explain that to me, you'll have my attention, but until that's settled, you can't take all the hate seriously. seriously!

We aren't on a Green/Environmentalist website or a economics watchdog website; we are on a videogames website. I am not going to post how much I hate BP in a bluesnews thread about EA, since it isn't remotely relative. EA is the only one of the three examples you mentioned that have had a detrimental effect on the hobby I come here to discuss. And truthfully, I am way more passionate about gaming than I am worrying about the environment or sticking it to the evil rich. While some of the the hate can be over the top, in general EA deserves every bit of loathing and derision they get here and other websites like it. They earned every ounce.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:36 ASeven

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 19:34:
A nice article from some stock brokers that pretty much share my view on EA. They're heading for extinction if nothing is done soon.

Nice article.

They also pretty much spell what I've been saying about the gaming industry for a while, if nothing is done it's heading for a crash, though thankfully this crash, if it happens, will only affect publishers. Indies may save the industry and gamers in more ways than one.

32. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:35 ASeven

jdreyer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 19:31:
I do feel terrible for anyone who loses a job in this economy. I'm sure the vast majority of the people who got let go have nothing to do with the EA policies we've all come to love to hate.

It all sounds, and feels, like blindly cutting costs. Seen this happen too many times and often the corporation that starts doing this ends up on a downward spiral that often cannot be stopped.

It's the people who are now out of a job who get to carry the weight of EA's failure.

31. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:34 jdreyer

Nice article.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

30. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:31 jdreyer

I do feel terrible for anyone who loses a job in this economy. I'm sure the vast majority of the people who got let go have nothing to do with the EA policies we've all come to love to hate.  

29. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:30 ASeven

28. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:26 ASeven

Jackplug wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 19:25:
so who is gonna make all these games now, not all the moaners thats for sure.

Indies. They pretty much have already taken over anyway.

27. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:26 ASeven

You know Creston, I now share your pain that the idiots we put on ignore should not have their quotes shown up for us.  

26. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:25 Jackplug

so who is gonna make all these games now, not all the moaners thats for sure.  

25. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:20 Redmask

All those things happened in previous years, not 2012 and it was the vote for worst company in America in 2012 is the easiest answer.  

24. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:19 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 18:05:
these people voted a videogame company "more EVIL" than banks and oil producers. gotta stop and wonder if they have a bias? maybe EA wiped their account when they were caught hacking or something, lol.

guy A) i spilled 210,000,000 gallons of oil into the gulf of mexico

guy B) i rig the economy for the rich with the fed so that i'm too-big-to-fail, while foreclosing houses on poor people

guy C) i introduced DLC and microtransactions into the videogames that i make

how can anyone take you people seriously when you voted for Guy C?

if anyone can explain that to me, you'll have my attention, but until that's settled, you can't take all the hate seriously. seriously!

The problem isn't who is more evil, the problem is who is voting. The banks and oil companies have done much more damage to people and the world than EA, but gamers as a group tend to be online much more than the general population and much more likely to vote in an online poll. All it takes is someone on some forum to post "Consumerist has a poll: Worst company in America! Let's go vote down EA!" and voila.

So, the methodology of this poll is pretty flawed. To get a true idea of what people think you must poll a truly random section of the population. An online poll can't do that.

23. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 19:10 Redmask

lol, "holy shit we're almost extinct?" hmmmm... says the largest game publisher/developer on the planet... they could lose 90% of their staff and still be one of the biggest videogame companies on the planet. soooo, you want your hyperbole back? it's hard to take you seriously.

Does EA pay you to be butthurt on their behalf or do you just do it for fun? All you seem to do here is respond to EA related topics and I don't believe in coincidence.

Ask the people who lost their job due to how poorly EA is run who they think is the worst company in America kid.

22. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:49 Julio

EA doesn't need no stinkin' employees. Besides, that's a lot of votes for them as worst company next year. Never hurts to start getting those voters early.  

21. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:46 jdreyer

SirKnight wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 18:21:
as we focus on delivering great games

LOL! Since when does EA deliver great games?

EA was the highest ranked major publisher last year, according to Metacritic. Obviously, "great" games is subjective, but that's one way of measuring it. My issues with EA usually don't involve the quality of their games, but rather their implementation of said games (DRM, etc.) and treatment of the customer.

20. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:36 Optional Nickname!

these people voted a videogame company "more EVIL" than banks and oil producers.

if anyone can explain that to me, you'll have my attention

It's considered rude to ask questions you already know the answer to.

But, since you are most likely genuinely vexed by this false dilemma you created for yourself I'll answer with you: Never underestimate the power of disappointment.

Your examples of Banking and Oil (which you named no specific companies) are universally expected to be anti-consumer. EA is a leisure-time entertainment company which makes its anti-consumerism focus not only curious but counter to its success and actually unnecessary for larger profits. One can argue that EA's actions are so bizarre as to be conspiratorially intended.

What's more Evil, the Wolf or the Wolf in Sheep's clothing? Oh wait, strike that. I don't want to be rude.

19. Re: EA Cuts Staff Apr 25, 2013, 18:30 Mr. Tact

Easy. A & B had no direct impact on me. Well, I guess my 401k got hammered, but it's all back now so it was just a "buying" opportunity when the market was down.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo