Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Partners to Close?

The EA Partners label is being shut down soon according to a rumor on GameInformer they say comes to them by way of "multiple anonymous sources close to the matter." This contract publishing service for indie developers was involved in the release of many successful titles, including the Crysis series, Syndicate, Brütal Legend, Rock Band, The Orange Box, and Bulletstorm. They also note that 38 Studios' Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning was part of this program, adding: "Whether EA was owed money by Curt Schilling's studio, and if so, how much, remains unknown." They say the two high-profile games still in the works at EA Partners are Respawn Entertainments' project (Titan?) and Insomiac's Fuse, and their sources tell them this move will not affect the release of either game. They also raise the salient question of how what they describe as a "lean operation of 50 employees" that "thrived on low overhead" which "capitalizes on EA's core publishing competencies and relationships" could have been a drain on company resources.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:22:
Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:19:
No surprise here, EAs future plans seem to be doubling down on internal projects and microtransactions. Shame, Partners had some very creative stuff released but ultimately EA is more focused on things they can iterate on every year, their entire business is structured around it now.

I'd call it a huge surprise.
Agreed, though for different reasons. The Partners label was easy money; EA does publishing work for-hire (on contract) and that's it. It's not a traditional investor-publisher relationship where they're investing money into games and then losing it on underperforming sales. As long as EA publishes partner games they make money.

So why they would be shutting down Partners is beyond me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 10:48 Verno

Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:15:
Arguably, EA has the most negative influence on PC gaming, rivaling only Steam in its willful customer deception. Steam has a near monopoly on fan-boyism and astro-turfing so it has a much stronger PR response.

See below.

Comparing EAs negative impact on the industry to Steam is like the ultimate masterstroke troll

I know exactly what I'm getting from Steam and exactly what I'm giving up. The idea that they're tricking anyone is silly.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 10:48 Julio

EA doesn't need no stinkin' partners.  

10. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 10:36 RollinThundr

wtf_man wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:39:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:29:
I still think the industry is heading for another '84 type crash before long.

That was mainly the coin-op gaming industry.
People quit going to arcades because of PCs and Consoles.

I was busy gaming on my Apple II back then, and my non-computer pals were playing / trading vast amounts of Atari 2600 games by that point. Who was going to go down to the local arcade and spend a ton of quarters?

PC gaming stayed above and rose from the ashes of that "crash".

True, it was mostly the arcade industry, but it didn't help Atari's home consoles, or coleco or intellivision (Mattel) Had the NES not been as sucessful as it was things could have been much different.

9. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 10:24 Mr. Tact

Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:15:
rivaling only Steam in its willful customer deception.
Steam's willful customer deception? Apparently I am ignorant, please inform me. Add in an explanation for the complaints I've see here recently about Steam DRM, which I am also apparently ignorant of.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 10:15 Optional Nickname!

The '84 crash to which you refer paved the way to the next generation of gaming which itself has been superseded and will be again. Many of the successful employees of the prior generations find themselves as key players in the subsequent generations. Many of the workers do not, but some do. Perhaps their skills are obsolete or they choose a different 'industry' either way, losing EA or any single 'name brand publisher' does not destroy creativity.

Arguably, EA has the most negative influence on PC gaming, rivaling only Steam in its willful customer deception. Steam has a near monopoly on fan-boyism and astro-turfing so it has a much stronger PR response.

See below.

7. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:50 El Pit

Soon: same headline, but without "Partners"?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

6. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:39 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:29:
I still think the industry is heading for another '84 type crash before long.

That was mainly the coin-op gaming industry.
People quit going to arcades because of PCs and Consoles.

I was busy gaming on my Apple II back then, and my non-computer pals were playing / trading vast amounts of Atari 2600 games by that point. Who was going to go down to the local arcade and spend a ton of quarters?

PC gaming stayed above and rose from the ashes of that "crash".

5. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:30 xXBatmanXx

The more EA folds, the better for everyone.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:29 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA

Stay classy nin. More people will lose jobs and you find it funny since it's EA. Shame about this as most of the titles coming out of this division have been solid for the most part.

EA really seems to be in deeper shit money wise than I think alot of people would think. I still think the industry is heading for another '84 type crash before long.

3. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:22 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:19:
No surprise here, EAs future plans seem to be doubling down on internal projects and microtransactions. Shame, Partners had some very creative stuff released but ultimately EA is more focused on things they can iterate on every year, their entire business is structured around it now.

I'd call it a huge surprise. The only innovative and good projects were coming from Partners, Partners was often lauded as extremely successful and well liked by the third parties, etc.

Internal projects and microtransactions are what got them in the position they're in.

I'm kinda feeling like I dodged a bullet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:20 nin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 09:19 Verno

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo