Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Partners to Close?

The EA Partners label is being shut down soon according to a rumor on GameInformer they say comes to them by way of "multiple anonymous sources close to the matter." This contract publishing service for indie developers was involved in the release of many successful titles, including the Crysis series, Syndicate, Brütal Legend, Rock Band, The Orange Box, and Bulletstorm. They also note that 38 Studios' Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning was part of this program, adding: "Whether EA was owed money by Curt Schilling's studio, and if so, how much, remains unknown." They say the two high-profile games still in the works at EA Partners are Respawn Entertainments' project (Titan?) and Insomiac's Fuse, and their sources tell them this move will not affect the release of either game. They also raise the salient question of how what they describe as a "lean operation of 50 employees" that "thrived on low overhead" which "capitalizes on EA's core publishing competencies and relationships" could have been a drain on company resources.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 26, 2013, 12:54 ASeven

Dev wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 23:13:
Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 22:05:
You can't hate one company for being monopolistic, while praising or being ok with Valve doing the same thing pretty much.

If you really think people only hate on EA because they are being 'monopolistic' then you have your head in the clouds... or up somewhere a little closer and smellier.

Your continued attempts to draw parallels between how Steam and EA do business and treat their customers when in truth there is no comparison at all serves to prove you are either an EA Fanboy or a Valve hater - and in either case, easily ignored.
The easiest and most recent example (and not even the biggest crapfest they've been involved in), would be simcity. Not just the initial problems, but the totally incompetent way they handled dealing with it.

If you look at my comments on threads about that fiasco, I was initially willing to give EA (yes even EA) some benefit of the doubt. But noooo. Everytime I thought they couldn't get any stupider or screw it up more, they went and did something even worse.

Hell, the new Simcity 2.0 patch has broken more stuff than it fixed!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 26, 2013, 08:43 nin

Redmask wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 07:13:
You can't hate one company for being monopolistic

Uh why the fuck not? Of course you can, companies in a monopolistic position in a market place usually result in customers being treated poorly and getting less for their money. That is the dumbest thing posted in this topic.

Some people (I'm assuming that's a dunder quote) like everything black and white, so they don't have to make hard decisions.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

31. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 26, 2013, 07:30 NewMaxx

As for all this going private talk and everything...as I've said in other threads here, the console gaming industry is getting hit hard. The implication is that the big players want out, and technology is moving towards streaming and cloud gaming. I never took it further than that, but it's not difficult to do so.

We saw NBC get bought by Comcast, and it had a market cap several times that of EA, and in fact all the major publishers could fit into the value that NBC had at purchase. That's not to imply equality but rather to show that the likeliest fate for a "live" EA in the long-run is as a platform for something like Comcast. I can see it now: Quadruple Play!

Gaming is at its heart part of the media spectrum. It managed to escape the Sony-BMG style for a while, but it's only a matter of time now. I'm no Pachter but it doesn't take an analyst to see which way the wind blows. All the evidence is towards a commoditized future as a platform for licensing.

PC gaming of course is separate from this, but even that is largely 3 segments: MMO, casual, and indie. Only the indie segment is relevant to true gamers and that's going to end up on Steam...which again is pushing stream/cloud gaming. Full circle, we're right back where we started.

30. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 26, 2013, 07:13 Redmask

You can't hate one company for being monopolistic

Uh why the fuck not? Of course you can, companies in a monopolistic position in a market place usually result in customers being treated poorly and getting less for their money. That is the dumbest thing posted in this topic.

29. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 23:13 Dev

Prez wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 22:05:
You can't hate one company for being monopolistic, while praising or being ok with Valve doing the same thing pretty much.

If you really think people only hate on EA because they are being 'monopolistic' then you have your head in the clouds... or up somewhere a little closer and smellier.

Your continued attempts to draw parallels between how Steam and EA do business and treat their customers when in truth there is no comparison at all serves to prove you are either an EA Fanboy or a Valve hater - and in either case, easily ignored.
The easiest and most recent example (and not even the biggest crapfest they've been involved in), would be simcity. Not just the initial problems, but the totally incompetent way they handled dealing with it.

If you look at my comments on threads about that fiasco, I was initially willing to give EA (yes even EA) some benefit of the doubt. But noooo. Everytime I thought they couldn't get any stupider or screw it up more, they went and did something even worse.

28. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 22:05 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 18:44 RollinThundr

ASeven wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 17:42:
Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:31:
Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 13:18:
At this point, the only thing that probably would make sense for EA to do is find a way to go private.

Is that even feasible for them, though? I doubt they have anywhere near enough cash to buy themselves into the majority, and otherwise it just means they'd have to get a major investment venture to buy their majority stake and they just become beholden to said investment capitalists rather than the shareholders at large.

They are fucked either way. Their stock prices have plummeted and have not recovered since but, as you say, if they go private they will need to borrow such an insane amount of capital to buy themselves into a majority position that they might as well shut themselves off and save a lot of trouble.

And the beauty of all of this is that they have nobody to blame but themselves. Honestly, I believe we're starting to see the first steps of the publisher crash as publishers suddenly realize that they cannot support their business model for much longer and see themselves starved for capital which they cannot afford or create.

but but muh record profits! The industry is fine! /sarcasm

26. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 17:42 ASeven

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 16:31:
At this point, the only thing that probably would make sense for EA to do is find a way to go private.

Is that even feasible for them, though? I doubt they have anywhere near enough cash to buy themselves into the majority, and otherwise it just means they'd have to get a major investment venture to buy their majority stake and they just become beholden to said investment capitalists rather than the shareholders at large.

They are fucked either way. Their stock prices have plummeted and have not recovered since but, as you say, if they go private they will need to borrow such an insane amount of capital to buy themselves into a majority position that they might as well shut themselves off and save a lot of trouble.

And the beauty of all of this is that they have nobody to blame but themselves. Honestly, I believe we're starting to see the first steps of the publisher crash as publishers suddenly realize that they cannot support their business model for much longer and see themselves starved for capital which they cannot afford or create.

25. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 16:31 Creston

Creston

24. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 15:40 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 12:55:
uses drm that everyone and their mother cries holy hell when any other publisher uses it, it's ok for Valve though.

I play my games in offline mode with the Wireless NIC turned off.
Most other company's DRM doesn't allow that. (although some like UPlay have, recently)

The only thing I hate about Steam is that it will make me go online once a month for updates and shit. When I say stay offline... I fricken mean stay offline.

As for Origin... I'll be damned if I'd let EA datamine me.

23. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 13:41 ASeven

All this cost cutting, from several layoffs across the board to this, it smells of desperate cost cutting and that is always a bad sign about the company's finances.

At this point the possibility of EA going under is starting to become rather strong.

22. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 13:18 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 13:14 Verno

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:58:
nin wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:40:
They know they're in trouble, and they're circling the wagons. The question is how much they'll admit...

They'll never admit to anything, because that will send what few investors they have left fleeing for the hills. But you'd think that at least internally they realize they need to change something? I guess not, though. Nothing but deluded fools in that office, it seems.

Yeah pretty much. You would think it would be self-apparent, Steam has taken the long view and enjoyed crazy success while EA consistently takes the quarterly financial short view and look at where they are. Oh well, as usual EA earns all of the ire the press and consumers give it.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

20. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 12:55 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:48:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 10:15:
Arguably, EA has the most negative influence on PC gaming, rivaling only Steam in its willful customer deception. Steam has a near monopoly on fan-boyism and astro-turfing so it has a much stronger PR response.

See below.

Comparing EAs negative impact on the industry to Steam is like the ultimate masterstroke troll

I know exactly what I'm getting from Steam and exactly what I'm giving up. The idea that they're tricking anyone is silly.

To be fair people hate EA because they're the largest publisher and are therefore an easy target, shady shit they've done over the years aside.

Valve did the same thing with steam when it comes to digital distro, cornered the market based on brand name, uses drm that everyone and their mother cries holy hell when any other publisher uses it, it's ok for Valve though.

19. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 12:54 yonder

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:22:
I'd call it a huge surprise. The only innovative and good projects were coming from Partners, Partners was often lauded as extremely successful and well liked by the third parties, etc.

You obviously have far too high of an opinion on EA as a company. Most of here seem to be saying "They did something utterly stupid? ... yup"

I never, ever understand why people are surprised by EA's bungling. Where have you/they been the past 25 years or so? Being surprised by a stupid EA decision is like being surprised when EA purchases a beloved developer and then runs their formerly-awesome games into the ground.

It's like being surprised that water is wet.

18. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:58 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:40:
They know they're in trouble, and they're circling the wagons. The question is how much they'll admit...

They'll never admit to anything, because that will send what few investors they have left fleeing for the hills. But you'd think that at least internally they realize they need to change something? I guess not, though. Nothing but deluded fools in that office, it seems.

Creston

17. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:46 Creston

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:35:
No one should expect anything else. Riticiello had his issues, but the guy before him did way more damage.

Also, the guy now is the guy before him. And had been on the board, if not the chair.

Really, this whole thing is his failure.

Agreed. I wonder why he's never been canned yet. Steve Ballmer Musk?

Creston

16. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:40 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:34:
So the one part of EA that actually was doing well, actually cared somewhat about customer service, and which was making money gets closed?

New CEO, same insanity. Ca plus ce change, etc.

Creston

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:35 Beamer

Creston wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 11:34:
So the one part of EA that actually was doing well, actually cared somewhat about customer service, and which was making money gets closed?

Creston

No one should expect anything else. Riticiello had his issues, but the guy before him did way more damage.

Also, the guy now is the guy before him. And had been on the board, if not the chair.

Really, this whole thing is his failure.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:34 Creston

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo