Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage

Here's a new trailer showing off Total War: Rome II, The Creative Assembly's upcoming sequel to the RTS game that came back when the title was written as Rome: Total War. They warn that this is from the alpha (calling it "pre-alpha footage," which is not a thing), and is therefore "not fully representative of the final game," but it does offer a full ten minutes of gameplay. Word is: "Experience one of history’s most astounding ambushes in The Battle of Teutoburg Forest, recreated in the Total War™ ROME II battle engine. Narrated by Creative Assembly staff, this battle depicts the Roman Army caught in a carefully calculated assault by the massed tribesmen of Germania."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 09:18 McSterls

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 20:45:
Wow, I'm not even an RTS fan and that was impressive as hell.

I'm in! Looks Fantastic!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 08:49 SpectralMeat

Any idea when this game supposed to be out this year?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

15. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 03:16 eRe4s3r

shinchan0s wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 02:19:
dj LiTh wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 00:17:
shinchan0s wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 21:37:
Pretty much what I expected - Shogun II in togas. I'd hate to see the phalanx combat...

Good god, CA, what are doing with the bigger budget Sega gave you?

Are you joking? You must be because clearly you either A. have no experience in TW games or B. didnt watch the video

Are you? I own every TW game except for Mongol Invasion. The video is a disappointment because it's not a huge leap from Shogun 2 - not even graphically. It's Shogun 2 right down to the stylized unit cards. I shouldn't have expected much from CA anyway, but I guess the Carthage siege got me excited and overly optimistic.

How would the game "leap" anywhere, did any new CPU technologies release the 4 past years that have 75%+ spread? The game was CPU bound with Shogun 2 (and to this day is), so what do you expect to change?

They can't up unit counts or size, they can only add better gameplay around the limitations.

I think you have simply too high expectations of what is possible with the technology available right now. CPU's haven't advanced since Shogun 2. And Total War was always CPU limited.

The actual improvements I hope for are 64bit executable and FULL multi-core support for the campaign calculations.

But even 64bit support is still not a given.. since 90% of the API's that are mainstream don't even have 64bit versions out.

14. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 02:19 shinchan0s

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 00:17:
Pretty much what I expected - Shogun II in togas. I'd hate to see the phalanx combat...

Are you joking? You must be because clearly you either A. have no experience in TW games or B. didnt watch the video

Are you? I own every TW game except for Mongol Invasion. The video is a disappointment because it's not a huge leap from Shogun 2 - not even graphically. It's Shogun 2 right down to the stylized unit cards. I shouldn't have expected much from CA anyway, but I guess the Carthage siege got me excited and overly optimistic.

13. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 02:03 eRe4s3r

They already mentioned phalanx combat to be done better than in Rome 1... I assume this means we get more tactical options to counter them, flaming balls of hay, burning pigs, warhounds... etc.  

12. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 25, 2013, 00:17 dj LiTh

11. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 21:37 shinchan0s

10. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 21:12 eRe4s3r

Take my money  

9. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 20:45 Cutter

Wow, I'm not even an RTS fan and that was impressive as hell.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 19:48 Mashiki Amiketo

Awesome. I loved TW: Rome, hell the only one I didn't like was Empire. Well looks like a Day 1 buy for me as well.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 19:41 Optional Nickname!

Instant toggle zoom! Free camera! Unit details in the HUD! Immersive terrain! Respecting the Series!

Odd atmosphere? Bad contrast/shadows? Repetitive individual animations?

In the spirit of the Rome loading screens I leave you with this:

"Exspecto Latini, Marcus Tullius."

6. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 18:49 Parias

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 18:37:
TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 17:45:
awesome, will be day 1 purchase unless they offer a deal on pre-ordering, one of the very few games i'd consider taking that risk on.

I'm with you. I know it will be buggy, but I'll pay them to play it until it's fixed. I just enjoy these games that much.

Agreed here as well.... although, is there any word yet on if this one will have a co-op campaign like Shogun 2? That was the primary feature that enabled me to convince a friend to buy it.

5. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 18:37 Mikus_Aurelius

TurdFergasun wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 17:45:
awesome, will be day 1 purchase unless they offer a deal on pre-ordering, one of the very few games i'd consider taking that risk on.

I'm with you. I know it will be buggy, but I'll pay them to play it until it's fixed. I just enjoy these games that much.

4. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 18:21 dj LiTh

If ever there was a need for 1080p its now....oh and i just creamed me spinach  

3. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 17:45 TurdFergasun

2. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 17:41 ASeven

That looks pretty good.

Fun fact, even today nobody really knows where the battle site is located, even though a lot of archaeological findings have narrowed the battle site to some specific locations.

1. Re: Total War: Rome II Gameplay Footage Apr 24, 2013, 16:19 SpectralMeat

This looks epic! Can't wait for this game.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo