Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM Shooter "Fresh Look" Reveal in "Days"

2K Games blogs about plans to unveil "a fresh look at the long-awaited squad-based tactical shooter in development at 2K Marin" in the coming days. This is to clear up the status of their XCOM shooter, a game they refer to in the headline as [redacted], which plays into recent implications the game was being rebranded and the recent disappearance of its website. The XCOM shooter has been a lightning rod for criticism due to its departure from the roots of the series, and though it says "the game has undergone an evolution since we last showed it to you at E3 2011," the post also indicates that whatever changes are afoot, this will still be an XCOM game on some level, as they refer to it as "a new experience within the world of XCOM" and a game which has "evolved into a high-stakes narrative experience imbued with core XCOM concepts."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 13:28 Beamer

Yifes wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 13:14:
Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 10:44:
Screw editor. It needed to be random. Enemy placement needed to be random and roving rather than 3 guys in the same places, sitting there until discovered, and occasionally teleporting in front of you. And it needed to stop showing that damn in-engine cinematic every single time you come across 3 new enemies. Every time. Every damn time!

Alien placement is random. Try restarting the same mission multiple times (not from a saved game), a problem I've run into when I consistently failed the first mission on ironman impossible like a dozen times in a row. There are multiple spawn locations, which changes every time. The only enemy locations that are not random are some of the spawns in the story missions, like thin men add-ons halfway through a bomb diffusal, or "boss" locations.

Also, alien packs DO roam around the map, just not all of them. Incidentally this is why the teleportation bug exists, as it is a problem with unactivated alien pack movement when your line of sight is blocked.

Even if you load a saved game they'll still change, but it's putting them in the same places. There may be 100 spawn points in the map and it chooses 5 of them for enemy squads, which are almost always groups of 3.

Also, the teleportation isn't tied to line of sight. I've had them teleport directly in front of my guys, where they've clearly seen for turns.

And they don't much roam. Sometimes you'll see guys but not activate them. They just sit there.

Lastly, unconnected to this, I despise that you can only target enemies. I loved laser rifles in the original not for their killing power, which was usually only good for one or two battles before you got plasma rifles, but for their unlimited ammo. I regularly blasted holes in walls to walk through, or to flank, or sometimes just to see. The only way to do that now is with rockets, which are a much more limited commodity.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 13:14 Yifes

Screw editor. It needed to be random. Enemy placement needed to be random and roving rather than 3 guys in the same places, sitting there until discovered, and occasionally teleporting in front of you. And it needed to stop showing that damn in-engine cinematic every single time you come across 3 new enemies. Every time. Every damn time!

Alien placement is random. Try restarting the same mission multiple times (not from a saved game), a problem I've run into when I consistently failed the first mission on ironman impossible like a dozen times in a row. There are multiple spawn locations, which changes every time. The only enemy locations that are not random are some of the spawns in the story missions, like thin men add-ons halfway through a bomb diffusal, or "boss" locations.

Also, alien packs DO roam around the map, just not all of them. Incidentally this is why the teleportation bug exists, as it is a problem with unactivated alien pack movement when your line of sight is blocked.

22. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 13:05 Yifes

Krovven wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 12:02:
You give an example in your previous post. When you come across a group of enemies, they would get to displace, even though it was your turn and not the Ai's turn, rendering your unit placement and tactics almost pointless. Regardless what you would do, most situations you couldn't get the drop on the enemy because of this.

It also seemed like it was predetermined at the start of a mission whether your units would miss the majority of their attacks, or hit the majority, regardless of percentages.

Having been playing a lot of Civ5 and Warlock lately, understanding those mechanics and outcomes being predictable based on what I did, I found XCOM very unpredictable regardless of my tactics.

The enemy displacement when you first make contact is necessary because of the game's emphasis on cover. If the enemy didn't do that, even impossible would be a walk in the park as you could destroy aliens very easily on first contact while they're out of cover. The solution to this problem is to control your movement so you only make contact when most your units still have their turns left.

The game is predictable if you know how to play, which is how people can consistently win on ironman impossible. Alot of it has to do with controlling when you activate aliens, limiting alien attacks using line of sight, and relying heavily on explosives during the early game.

21. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:57 LgFriess

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 10:43:
Its biggest failure was the lack of a random map generator and/or editor. We'd all still be playing it if had that. Huge mistake not to do that. Huge.

YES! To me, this is something that just had to be in the game. Had to. It's as important as having aliens and space ships. And more randomly generated maps too. The entire x-com experience was feeling like some unknown horror is sitting off out there in the dark somewhere, behind/in some building with god knows what inside. The original game nailed this perfectly and it hasn't been matched since.

20. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:38 Trevellian

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 09:25:
Beamer wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 09:18:
I think it was, at best, a moderate success.

I'm under the impression that it did very well for a strategy game. It surely didn't pull AAA FPS numbers, but it also didn't cost AAA FPS money to produce. I haven't heard anything about layoffs at Firaxis, which is generally a sign of a successful product.

Actually I have a friend who i hang out with on weekends who was working as a Temp Animator for Firaxis on X-Com. And they have him a full time job about 3 weeks ago. So I'd say they did fairly damn well if they can afford to bring Temps on board as full time employees.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2013, 12:43.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

19. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:24 avianflu

it was a very polished game, but the scope of the gameplay was too narrow, especially when compared to the almost epic gameplay of the original game.  

18. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:10 Fibrocyte

Its biggest failure was the lack of a random map generator and/or editor. We'd all still be playing it if had that. Huge mistake not to do that. Huge.

I agree on the randomness and the cinematics...

17. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:07 Fibrocyte

I purchased it and sort of regret it. I played it from start to finish but would say it is certainly not worth full price.

I rarely do pay full price for a game but I didn't have anything to play when this was released so I nabbed it. Oh well.

16. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 12:02 Krovven

Beamer I'm referring to restarting missions from the start, not saving and repeating actions.

You give an example in your previous post. When you come across a group of enemies, they would get to displace, even though it was your turn and not the Ai's turn, rendering your unit placement and tactics almost pointless. Regardless what you would do, most situations you couldn't get the drop on the enemy because of this.

It also seemed like it was predetermined at the start of a mission whether your units would miss the majority of their attacks, or hit the majority, regardless of percentages.

Having been playing a lot of Civ5 and Warlock lately, understanding those mechanics and outcomes being predictable based on what I did, I found XCOM very unpredictable regardless of my tactics.

15. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 11:55 Wallshadows

I rather enjoyed it and is one of the best strategy games I've played in recent memory. I got 40+ hours out of it through countless restarts since I only played in Hardcore mode and don't regret picking it up during the Christmas Steam sale for $30.

It became repetitive as there were only ten or so maps in total but I found the excitement of Hardcore overshadowed those flaws. Becoming attached to several characters who've made it to max rank, hundreds of kills combined and dozens of missions only to see them get gunned down was a rather frustrating yet equally sobering experience knowing they were gone for good and you can't just reload a save to get them back.

14. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 11:49 Julio

I wonder if the fresh look will be calling it XCOM2  

13. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 Creston

Verno wrote on Apr 24, 2013, 09:43:

I'm under the impression that it did very well for a strategy game. It surely didn't pull AAA FPS numbers, but it also didn't cost AAA FPS money to produce. I haven't heard anything about layoffs at Firaxis, which is generally a sign of a successful product.

I heard 1.5m all in on the forums awhile ago which could be fine depending on the budget.

I thought Solomon had said on RPS that it had sold "very well." He never gave a number, but they seemed very happy with it.

Of course, during that interview he also said that they were well aware that people wanted more maps and more guns and that they'd be working on it, and zilch. Though I guess if they're working on a sequel, that'd work just as well.

I loved Xcom. I keep replaying it every two months or so, so that the maps don't get too stale. The one thing I really found annoying, though, is that once you get full satellite coverage, the ONLY missions you get anymore are downed UFO missions, and those get really fucking boring in a hurry. I deliberately would keep one country without a satellite so I'd still at least get some abduction missions. (There's also a mod that allows abduction missions even if you have full sat coverage.)

Creston

12. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:44 Beamer

-------------

11. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:43 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:20 Beamer

Also, since I bought this late, I didn't get the unit visuals upgrade. It was $4.99 on Steam just to get the old school hair (which looks terrible) and the ability to change the color of my armor.

So worth it! Horse armor but I love it!

-------------

9. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:17 MattyC

Enemy Unknown had some issues for sure, but overall I thought it was a great game. I thought the length of the campaign was perfect. I am at about 50 hours and I am just shy of finishing my second campaign with the second being set to the longer campaign DLC option.  

8. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:13 Beamer

I've only played Classic. Tons of autosaving, too.
Next game I'm going to something easier but Ironman.

Also, nothing is random. It's EXTREMELY easy to replicate turns. Just do things the same order. All rolls are done between turns, so if you save, it's the same rolls. If you have one guy left and some enemy lined up and save, then fire, then load, fire again, it'll be the same result.

-------------

7. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 10:11 wonkawonka

Weird, I didn't see those problems. Granted the half-cover is relatively crappy, but overall I felt I had control over the battlefield. My tactical decisions worked.
I played many campaigns all the way through, including an Ironman, and I loved it. Yes, some missions are repetitive but it's not that bad.
But I haven't played in classic or impossible modes, so that might be the big difference. I'm considering switching to classic, because my only challenge now is managing panic.

6. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 09:51 Krovven

My biggest problem with XCOM EU was the lack of consistency in combat.

The problems to me are most notable when you reload a mission, make the exact same moves, yet the outcome was different regardless of the execution of movement, tactics and abilities. There is also the problems with line of sight, and cover meaning very little, which they have even mentioned publicly they are/were looking at, but never actually fixed.

Some people may love this randomness, but to me, it just throws player skill out the window when it comes to a turn-based game.

5. Re: XCOM Shooter Apr 24, 2013, 09:43 Verno

I heard 1.5m all in on the forums awhile ago which could be fine depending on the budget.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo