Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC

A DLC pack called E.Y.E: Blood Games is now available on Steam as a free download for owners of E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, Streum On Studio's action/RPG/FPS (currently on sale). The E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy website has details on the update, which includes four new solo/co-op levels along with changes and bug fixes, along with this trailer showing off gameplay.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 24, 2013, 02:33 Raptor

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 18:23:
EYE's story and setting is like a mutant hybrid of Jacob's Ladder with Blade Runner and Dune. There's a good reason why things such as dialogue and the books in the library don't make a whole lot of sense. It's similar to why reading text in dreams is mostly gibberish but your mind accepts it as real.

That's a very good description of it.
IMHO, the whole game is one big mind trip. That requires almost philosophical thinking to fully comprehend (something none of us is used to do in a game where you expect certain things to work in a certain way)
I haven't tried the coop, so I don't know how it plays out, but I'd definitely recommend giving the SP another try, maybe read some of the topics on the side to clear up some confusing bits.
It's definitely a gem in rough.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 24, 2013, 01:11 yuastnav

Yes it is true and the real ending was both a bit of a letdown and kinda cool.  

15. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 19:56 Mad Max RW

PHJF wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:07:
That's another thing, the ending of the game doesn't explain a fucking thing. There was a big fuss about how it had a hidden "real" ending that you could only get by a) playing through the game more than once and b) doing certain quests in exactly the right way. I don't even know if that was true or not.

It's true.

14. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 19:07 PHJF

That's another thing, the ending of the game doesn't explain a fucking thing. There was a big fuss about how it had a hidden "real" ending that you could only get by a) playing through the game more than once and b) doing certain quests in exactly the right way. I don't even know if that was true or not.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 19:00 Parias

PHJF wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:55:
The "story" they were going for is COMPLETELY impenetrable, in no small part because it's loaded with from-Russian text and there aren't any "characters" to speak of. There's no explanation as to who or what anything is or why they are doing whatever it is they are doing.

Yeah, that's my concern, and exactly matches the feeling we got during our brief co-op stint - we had a really hard time getting into the experience just because of how nothing was explained, and how abstracted the whole experience was. It was just a really difficult kind of story to get immersed into.

Maybe it would work better if I tried it in singleplayer. I'm the last person to slam a game for trying a unique approach to story (and I don't mind a complicated, fiddly interface at all) so maybe I'll just have to give it another spin with a different frame of mind.

12. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 18:23 Mad Max RW

EYE's story and setting is like a mutant hybrid of Jacob's Ladder with Blade Runner and Dune. There's a good reason why things such as dialogue and the books in the library don't make a whole lot of sense. It's similar to why reading text in dreams is mostly gibberish but your mind accepts it as real.  

11. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 18:06 PHJF

(made up) languages sound like

That would be it, it sounded Russian. And French being a Romance language one would think the writing would have been more smoothly translated to English. Then again, maybe the dev just has horrible writers.

10. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 18:02 yuastnav

It is actually a French studio that developed this game. (:

I didn't notice any Russian.

Well, apart from the theory that the Secreta is based on Eastern Europe and the Jian maybe based on Japan judging from how the (made up) languages sound like, but that's anyone's guess.

9. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 17:55 PHJF

The "story" they were going for is COMPLETELY impenetrable, in no small part because it's loaded with from-Russian text and there aren't any "characters" to speak of. There's no explanation as to who or what anything is or why they are doing whatever it is they are doing.

The game itself is a pretty bland FPS action/RPG. You run around mindless, confusing maps killing legions of mindless, endless enemies. It can be reasonably fun for a spell if you can somehow sink your teeth into it (which I managed to do when it released).

8. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 17:55 Raptor

Parias wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:30:
I was sort of curious about the story angle too. I tried it in co-op with some friends briefly, but the game's plot felt very.... well, foreign, and awkwardly presented. If under the surface there actually is a strong, compelling story under there, I'll definitely have to go back and sink some more time into it.

That's the thing about it.
The translation is bad, it could be far more refined and all that, but it's incredibly original and has a very interesting (but confusing) story.
It's an amazingly deep game, which as I've understood would take a few playthroughs to fully understand. I took just one very long one and sort of got the point, but the atmosphere is surprisingly engrossing even if you feel completely overwhelmed.

It's definitely a must-play for any even half serious PC gamer, these sort of titles are what we live for! Originality! Confusing control schemes! Weird & awesome at once!

To quote Destructoid:
E.Y.E is basically like Deus Ex would have been if Eidos had spent its time licking toads and drinking Red Bull.

So it's a hard to understand and learn this game, but somehow despite all that weirdness it's very satisfying and almost feels like climbing Mount Everest (being able to talk about finishing this game)

7. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 17:34 yuastnav

mag wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:09:
Zoom wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 15:43:
Yeah there is definitely no hand holding and the interface is hardcore. Almost like an old school RPG. The gameplay and story are deep and 110% cyberpunk. For whoever loves the genre (and its signature multiple layers of reality and evasive endings) this one is a must have.

Does this game have a story in the way that Half-Life has a story, or in the way that a game with an actual story has a story?

It's not easy to say.
I guess it's neither the one nor the other.

The story in the game itself is told through dialogue but there is also kind of a backstory available on their site.

There was also a live action video that sort of explains how it all started but I cannot find it at the moment.

And there was a thread on the old Steam forums that went on for dozens of pages where people tried to figure out the story or actually the ending.

I'd say the game actually has more lore than it has a story. Don't expect something on the level of an RPG but it's also a bit more complicated than "experiment went wrong and aliens are invading the earth", although it's probably closer to the latter.

[edit]
For anyone who is interested, here is the video and here is the thread where a lot of speculation has taken place.

To me this was really, really interesting to read and think about. It shows that Streum On Studios actually put a lot of thought into developing the lore and the whole world, even if it doesn't necessarily show in the game, at least not to such a great extent. But they knew what they were doing and probably knew what they wanted.

[edit]
And about the interface: yeah, I agree, it takes a bit of time to get into but it is also worth it. It's a bit clunky but it also reminds me of how complex games on the PC used to be. (:

That's why I am anxious to see what they are going to do next.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2013, 17:48.

6. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 17:30 Parias

I was sort of curious about the story angle too. I tried it in co-op with some friends briefly, but the game's plot felt very.... well, foreign, and awkwardly presented. If under the surface there actually is a strong, compelling story under there, I'll definitely have to go back and sink some more time into it.  

5. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 17:09 mag

Zoom wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 15:43:
Yeah there is definitely no hand holding and the interface is hardcore. Almost like an old school RPG. The gameplay and story are deep and 110% cyberpunk. For whoever loves the genre (and its signature multiple layers of reality and evasive endings) this one is a must have.

Does this game have a story in the way that Half-Life has a story, or in the way that a game with an actual story has a story?

4. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 15:43 Zoom

3. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 11:11 Mad Max RW

It's definitely not easy to jump into and expect to know how everything works right away. But when it clicks the game is so awesome.  

2. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 10:54 Frijoles

yuastnav wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:38:
Divine Cybermancy was good, really good. It goes on sale every now and again and people should pick it up and give it a try.

I've tried a few times. The interface is an immediate turnoff. And not knowing wtf to do didn't help. I remember two things from this game. 1) walking a fuck ton trying to find something to do. 2) having endless enemy spawns as I try to figure out where I'm doing.

I have a friend that loves the game. It's not for me though.

1. Re: E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy Free DLC Apr 23, 2013, 10:38 yuastnav

I rather hoped that they would be working on their new project now, whatever it is. If I remember correctly they stated in the old Steam forum that they already have an idea for a new game.

Divine Cybermancy was good, really good. It goes on sale every now and again and people should pick it up and give it a try.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo