Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 24, 2013, 13:26 m0deth

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 18:00:
I want to see something from AMD and buy some stock (owning the console market for example), but this also puts it into perspective.

AMD will supply both the GPU and CPU for Sony's PlayStation 4 and is widely expected to do the same for Microsoft's next Xbox. AMD also supplies the GPU for the outgoing Wii and the struggling Wii U. Game consoles are a relative drop in the bucket compared even to the dwindling PC market (Microsoft has sold a little over 70 million Xbox 360s since 2005, and the PC market can generally meet or beat that number in a single quarter)+

We get brainwashed thinking consoles are a huge deal and then we are reminded how many pc's really do sell overall.

But, the sky is raining tablets and phablets that will KEEL the PC platform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did that sound Kotaku enough?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 24, 2013, 02:52 Ant

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:35:
The Win 8 UI is a pretty darn good TABLET UI. Forcing that UI on desktop machines was one of the most stupid blunders MS has ever made. Ever.
Ditto.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 23, 2013, 20:54 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 20:15:
Thanks, Horrorscope, that puts it in perspective.

I wanted to break down the numbers more yet. Figure AMD has 17% of the PC market, take that # per quarter do the math that is about 40 million per year, just talking CPU's.

Took the Xbox number / years... They'll ship around 40 million GPU's/APU's for consoles each year. So I see half, less what their gpu's do. I'd say more than a drop in the bucket.

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 23, 2013, 20:15 jdreyer

Thanks, Horrorscope, that puts it in perspective.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 23, 2013, 18:00 HorrorScope

I want to see something from AMD and buy some stock (owning the console market for example), but this also puts it into perspective.

AMD will supply both the GPU and CPU for Sony's PlayStation 4 and is widely expected to do the same for Microsoft's next Xbox. AMD also supplies the GPU for the outgoing Wii and the struggling Wii U. Game consoles are a relative drop in the bucket compared even to the dwindling PC market (Microsoft has sold a little over 70 million Xbox 360s since 2005, and the PC market can generally meet or beat that number in a single quarter)+

We get brainwashed thinking consoles are a huge deal and then we are reminded how many pc's really do sell overall.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 17:44 dj LiTh

Intel's competitor is ARM, that war is going to be a very interesting one.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 17:37 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 17:02:
Yeah, that was a pretty big score for them, and surprising that Sony and MS weren't scared off by AMD's current troubles.

I'm pretty sure Sony and MS made sure they're covered if AMD goes poof. In fact, they might even benefit depending on the way they negotiated things.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 17:02 jdreyer

McSterls wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 16:24:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:38:
Man I hope AMD can pull through. The industry needs a competitor for Intel.

I think they will be okay, AMD is supplying the processor and graphics chips for both the new XBox and the new PS4.

Yeah, that was a pretty big score for them, and surprising that Sony and MS weren't scared off by AMD's current troubles.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 16:24 McSterls

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:38:

I think they will be okay, AMD is supplying the processor and graphics chips for both the new XBox and the new PS4.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 15:22 Fion

I used to be a real AMD fan. Sure they've almost always been behind Intel but offered near-similar performance for real nice prices. Anyone remember back when they first bought ATI. They took the idiotic stance of only allowing ATI cards on boards that used AMD processors. Well I do not buy ATI cards because of a poor history with them so for the first time since I've been tooling with PCs (the late 80's) I went with Intel because I could not find a board that let me use an AMD CPU with Nvidia GPUs.

To me that was one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. Today you can find tuns of boards with AMD chipsets and SLI. But because I switched to intel because AMD essentially forced me to, I just haven't gone back with a single build and neither has anyone I know.

That said Intel has been the assholes on the block for some time. Yea they have the best CPUs but they constantly play strong-arm tactics, pushing AMD out of every market they possibly can. Hopefully if AMD goes down another competitor will crop up. Probably some company from South Korea since thats were all the tech giants are from these days it seems. I'm a huge Samsung person myself.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 14:48 Verno

Indeed, Intel was shipping absolute horseshit (remember NetBurst?) and demanding a fortune for it until AMD kicked them in the teeth. Intel actually won through a combination of innovation and literal bribery of OEMs, AMD has made some serious missteps over the years but they've had some unfair bullshit done to them as well.

Reading about some of the things Intel did to its competitors over the past two decades is pretty eye opening.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 14:38 jdreyer

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 14:35 jdreyer

The Win 8 UI is a pretty darn good TABLET UI. Forcing that UI on desktop machines was one of the most stupid blunders MS has ever made. Ever.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 23, 2013, 11:52 NegaDeath

"Windows 8.1 set to bring back the Start button."

And according to the article all that will do is take you to metro when you click it. That "whoooosh" sound you hear is the whole point behind the blowback flying over MS's head.

Boot to desktop is an improvement.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo