Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The guys finally came to check out the furnace yesterday, which was welcome because it was down to 59 degrees in the house, which is not a hardship compared with some recent horror stories of storms leaving people with no heat in the dead of winter, but still not so much fun. The boiler is close to 35 years old, so the good news is that it still has some life in it, and it just needed a little tweaking to get going again. What's odd is that there seemed to be two simultaneous problems: A valve was stuck so there was no water pressure in the tank, and there was some dirt preventing the pilot from firing. The weird part is we are told that a unit this old has no failsafe against firing without any water to boil, which would end up ruining the furnace, so we are to believe that the pilot coincidentally went flaky just in time when the water stopped flowing to prevent such a scenario. That's certainly a weird coincidence, but the guy who told us this has loads of experience in the field, and this simple job involved charging us for just a one-hour service call, so it's not like he was trying to sell me on something, so I have no reason not to believe him.

Warm Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Clowns in the Face.
Stories: 'Futurama' not renewed.
NYC proposes raising age for cigarette purchases.
Media: "Thor: The Dark World" First Trailer. Thanks nin.
All teeth pulled instead of 3! Crazy dentist. Never use a dentist with OCD.
"Get Lucky" Michael Jackson edit. Thanks nin.
Auction: You Can Buy the Leica That Captured the Iconic Kiss in Times Square Picture.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:52 Verno

Well regardless of what the wiki says, I remember hearing it all the time when we moved around over the southeastern US when I was younger. I wonder why it would take root in Northern Cali of all places  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:35 Mr. Tact

From wiki:

"In the United Kingdom, a Chesterfield is a deep buttoned sofa, with arms and back of the same height."

"In Canada, the term 'chesterfield' is equivalent to a couch or sofa."

"The use of the term has been found to be widespread among older Canadians. This term is quickly vanishing from Canadian English according to one survey..."

"Northern California is the only place besides Canada where 'chesterfield' is a synonym for couch or sofa."

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:28 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:54:
I remember when I was younger we used to say chesterfield all the time but now everyone just says couch or sofa.
Don't recall ever hearing this prior to now. If you had ended the sentence at "time" -- I wouldn't have had a clue what you were talking about. I figured I was pretty much the oldest guy haunting this place, maybe not...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:13 Creston

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:54:
I remember when I was younger we used to say chesterfield all the time but now everyone just says couch or sofa.

Holy shit, Cutter, just how old ARE you?

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:00 Verno

Yeah I can't even remember the last time I heard someone say chesterfield although it was really common when I was a kid.

Don't really care about Futurama being cancelled, it had a much longer run than it deserved considering the post-comeback quality.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 12:54 Cutter

nin wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 11:24:
We use the phrase "heater" here as well. Hence calling a "heat and air guy" as opposed to a "plumber" that Blue mentioned the other day.

Also we have "pop" here and not "soda".

We generally say pop, but sometimes say soda. When we refer to a heater we usually mean the small, portable types. Yes, and a plumber for us is someone who works specifically on plumbing. Anyone else is a furnace and air guy. I remember when I was younger we used to say chesterfield all the time but now everyone just says couch or sofa.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:55 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 11:24:
Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 11:14:
You've never heard the word furnace? Cereal? A fiery furnace? We call them furnaces too. In fact I don't even know what you'd call them otherwise.

We use the phrase "heater" here as well. Hence calling a "heat and air guy" as opposed to a "plumber" that Blue mentioned the other day.

It is because he has a boiler and iron/metal units in each room I assume. I have central air and a gas furnace with vents. I assumed Blue had the same, but it now makes sense that a plumber was there instead of an HVAC person.

Not a fan of boilers, we had one blow in a room once in the house I was renting at the time. HUGE MESS!

Full circle.

Like I said, I replaced mine a couple months ago (furnace) that was about 13 or so years old. I got the 98.5% unit, and it heats the house with 1/2 the gas in 1/2 the time. Technology is amazin.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:28 nin

it's not using heating oil too is it?

I thought that was still halfway common in cold areas?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:26 Mr. Tact

A boiler? Man, you guys in the Northeast -- it's not using heating oil too is it? I call it a furnace, don't really recall it being called anything else. Replaced mine in Oct. 2011, previous unit was (IIRC) 16 years old at time of replacement, went with the 95% efficiency model.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:24 nin

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 11:14:
You've never heard the word furnace? Cereal? A fiery furnace? We call them furnaces too. In fact I don't even know what you'd call them otherwise.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:14 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 11:03 Creston

It's what people in the US call the unit that runs their central heating system.

Anyway, Blue, 35 years old? Damn, I'd definitely be thinking about upgrading that...

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 10:18 1badmf

a furnace? the fuck is a furnace? does it have something to do with cavemen figuring out what fire is for?  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo