Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The guys finally came to check out the furnace yesterday, which was welcome because it was down to 59 degrees in the house, which is not a hardship compared with some recent horror stories of storms leaving people with no heat in the dead of winter, but still not so much fun. The boiler is close to 35 years old, so the good news is that it still has some life in it, and it just needed a little tweaking to get going again. What's odd is that there seemed to be two simultaneous problems: A valve was stuck so there was no water pressure in the tank, and there was some dirt preventing the pilot from firing. The weird part is we are told that a unit this old has no failsafe against firing without any water to boil, which would end up ruining the furnace, so we are to believe that the pilot coincidentally went flaky just in time when the water stopped flowing to prevent such a scenario. That's certainly a weird coincidence, but the guy who told us this has loads of experience in the field, and this simple job involved charging us for just a one-hour service call, so it's not like he was trying to sell me on something, so I have no reason not to believe him.

Warm Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Clowns in the Face.
Stories: 'Futurama' not renewed.
NYC proposes raising age for cigarette purchases.
Media: "Thor: The Dark World" First Trailer. Thanks nin.
All teeth pulled instead of 3! Crazy dentist. Never use a dentist with OCD.
"Get Lucky" Michael Jackson edit. Thanks nin.
Auction: You Can Buy the Leica That Captured the Iconic Kiss in Times Square Picture.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2013, 10:00 Verno

That Thor trailer was interesting in how much of a departure it seems from the first film which was ok but had some pretty major flaws.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 21:16 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 20:19:
Redmask wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:58:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:26:
Google products and sites slow for anyone else this afternoon? Shit is slow as hell and times out....wonder if they are getting attacked.

Working fine here, run a traceroute, its probably your ISP or a route in between.

Yeah, I wonder if it's even possible to DDoS Google given their massive infrastructure. It would be like attacking the Death Star with one-man fighters or something. Ridiculous.

ummm...you know that worked......right?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 20:19 jdreyer

Redmask wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 19:58:
Google products and sites slow for anyone else this afternoon? Shit is slow as hell and times out....wonder if they are getting attacked.

Working fine here, run a traceroute, its probably your ISP or a route in between.

Yeah, I wonder if it's even possible to DDoS Google given their massive infrastructure. It would be like attacking the Death Star with one-man fighters or something. Ridiculous.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 19:58 Redmask

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 19:26 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 18:03 PHJF

It was a Rob Zombie movie, of course it was terrible. And knowingly making and admitting a movie is terrible doesn't make it any less terrible. I caught Place Beyond the Pines and "ambitious to a fault" was a pretty accurate way of describing it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 17:42 Mr. Tact

Based on the trailer, I'm not surprised to hear that.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 17:40 xXBatmanXx

Wife and I went to see Lords of Salem......terrible.....terrible.....terrible....terrible.

I get it, it is an homage to terrible black and white flicks that he likes, but wow. Glad we went to the matinee.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 16:44 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 13:13:
Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:54:
I remember when I was younger we used to say chesterfield all the time but now everyone just says couch or sofa.

Holy shit, Cutter, just how old ARE you?

Creston

I grew up hearing davenport, but often sounded more like dabbenport.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 16:04 Cutter

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 15:57:
Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 15:34:
Oh, how comfy warm I'd be in the winter... *swoon*

Creston

Also handy in case of Terminators.

And every time the wife puts dinner in the oven she'd have to say, 'You're terminated, fucker!'

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:57 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 15:34:

Creston

Also handy in case of Terminators.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:34 Creston

subx wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 13:58:
All this talk of having a furnace in your home just sounds insane to me :)

...considering this is what I see in my head whn you say furnace...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/images/blast_furnace.jpg

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:32 Cyanotetyphas

Verno wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 13:00:
Don't really care about Futurama being cancelled, it had a much longer run than it deserved considering the post-comeback quality.

Futurama is dead again, long live Futurama.

The first Comedy Central season back was pretty funny. Usually the show is entertaining to watch even when the jokes are not on target.

I don't regret this, but I both rue and lament it.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:27 jdreyer

If the laws for tobacco and marijuana were reversed, the world would be a better place.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:25 Mr. Tact

Ahh, but the device heating my house doesn't heat water, there is nothing boiling. No one would ever call it a boiler. The burning of natural gas heats the flowing air pretty much directly. Forced air heating (and cooling) is pretty common in a large portion of the US.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 15:16 subx

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 14:07:
So what do you refer to it as subx?

A boiler - burning (natural) gas - heating both the water in the central heating system and the hot tap (faucet) water.

There isn't much residential use of the VAC part of HVAC here so that term isn't used. To service a boiler you have to be certified to work with natural gas, plumbers often are, but the generic term for someone who does this is a "gas man" (which probably ends up sounding humorous :)

Oh, and a heater is a standalone thing that is usually powered by electricity.

This would all be a damn sight easier if you guys just spoke English ;)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 14:28 Cutter

I'm only 44, but it stems more from the fact that me family is Irish and English. We also grew up in a very tight-knit British neighborhood here too where everyone was English, Irish, or Scot for the most part so words like chesterfield were par for the course. It's also the reason I drink mainly tea most of the time.

And yeah subx, that's what we all have in our houses which is why we call them furnaces.

What do Aussies call them? They have weird names for everything. Probably something like a 'golongaloon'.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 14:07 Mr. Tact

So what do you refer to it as subx?  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:58 subx

All this talk of having a furnace in your home just sounds insane to me :)

...considering this is what I see in my head whn you say furnace...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/images/blast_furnace.jpg

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:54 NegaDeath

Same here, heard chesterfield all the time as a kid in Canada (34 now). And now that I think of it I haven't heard that word in a long time.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo