Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More THQ IP Sold

Subject to the approval of the bankruptcy court, the results of the auction of more of the assets of defunct publisher THQ have been revealed besides word from earlier that Gearbox now owns Homeworld. In this we learn that Gearbox paid $1.35 million for the RTS series, Nordic games paid almost $5 million for several IP, including Darksiders, Red Faction, and Supreme Commander, and someone wanted the Drawn to Life franchise:

The $6.55 million sale of the IP assets breaks down as follows:

• $4.9 million from Nordic Games Licensing AB, a Swedish-based video games publisher, for Darksiders, Red Faction, MX vs ATV, Other Owned Software (includes Destroy all Humans!, Summoner and more), and Other Licensed Software (includes Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and more);
  • $1.35 million from Gearbox Software, LLC, a Plano, Tex.-based developer of interactive entertainment, for Homeworld; and
  • $.3 million from 505 Games Srl, an Italian video game publisher, for Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter.

The company expects the Bankruptcy Court to hear the sales motions on May 13, 2013 and to finalize the sale transactions thereafter.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 12:55 Burrito of Peace

Homeworld goes to Geabox?

GODDAMNITSOFUCKINGMUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no hope for that once great IP. I now know I'll never see another contiguous installment in the game series I love before all others.

Really bummed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 11:06 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 11:02:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 03:45:
Nordic Games has been an excellent publisher so far, supporting GOG(source), Linux(source), mod tools(source) and the like. They are basically the anti-Gearbox. They were the retail publisher for the Alan Wake games on PC. TLDR version: Gearbox does (almost) everything wrong, Nordic Games does (almost) everything right.

Oh, okay. We'll see how it goes then.

Creston

Speaking of jowood and gog, I forgot they added silent storm there - I need to grab that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 11:02 Creston

Kristian Joensen wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 03:45:
Nordic Games has been an excellent publisher so far, supporting GOG(source), Linux(source), mod tools(source) and the like. They are basically the anti-Gearbox. They were the retail publisher for the Alan Wake games on PC. TLDR version: Gearbox does (almost) everything wrong, Nordic Games does (almost) everything right.

Oh, okay. We'll see how it goes then.

Creston

24. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 09:18 Axis

Nordic is good. RF is good. GFWL was the only shit in the RF pool...  

Yours truly,

Axis

23. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 08:46 nin

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 01:30:
Nordic Who?

Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 23:01:
Isn't Nordic just a rebranded Jowood?

Oh, fuck me... Well, so much for Red Faction and Supcom.

Creston

Yeah, I'm not going near another RF. At least Volition kept SR.

22. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 07:34 panbient

entr0py wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 21:12:
Still, I guess there's some dim hope that they could make a faithful sequel. The price seems to be a good sign that they'll actually use the IP.

I'd be super happy with a straight up Homeworld HD / widescreen re-release just keep everything else the same; re-render the graphical assets to get rid of blockiness and jagged edges, unlock the camera and FOV to support wider displays, and sell those revamped classics for $20 a pop on Steam and GOG.

21. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 03:45 Kristian Joensen

20. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 01:55 Jerykk

It's true that Nordic has been a better publisher than Jowood thus far. We'll have to see how polished Deadfall is before declaring them redeemed.

In any case, I highly doubt they'll do anything with these IPs. They simply lack the money to fund original AAA games. I suspect they just bought the IPs so they could milk sales of the existing games and possibly resell the rights at a profit if interest ever peaks.

19. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 01:45 netnerd85

No, they were acquired by Nordic. Nordic have been growing.

Besides, Jowood made some good stuff.

Nordic are putting out Deadfall Adventures - by far the best looking FPS game since... ever.

18. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 23, 2013, 01:30 Creston

Nordic Who?

Oh, fuck me... Well, so much for Red Faction and Supcom.

Creston

17. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 23:53 Tanto Edge

I've got some spare change; I'll take Evil Dead.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 23:40 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 21:51:
RFG was lame. Just going to site after site and destroying the same shit. Would have been way better if it had remotely been anything close to as good as GTA.

And what was it those yoyos on KS thought they could get the IP for? 50k? Lulz!

Eh it needed about 25% more variety to be a solid game. Destroying shit in new and creative ways and watching the AI go apeshit over farting and then trying to get out of it was a lot of fun, but the game needed a little more. Plus, after the first area or two, it stopped feeling like Mars and got boring.

I'll still play it any day over the atrocity that was Red Faction Armageddon.

15. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 23:01 Jerykk

Isn't Nordic just a rebranded Jowood? If so, that doesn't bode well for any of those franchises.

As for Homeworld, I still have no idea why Sega didn't buy that along with Relic. If they want to dominate the PC strategy space (aside from Blizzard), it seems like that would have been a no-brainer.

14. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 22:37 Parallax Abstraction

I can't imagine why Gearbox would want Homeworld. It's a game in a genre that's completely outside any wheelhouse of theirs. I mean, they paid so little that they could probably turn a profit on their investment by just repacking the original games and selling them on GOG. I imagine a crappy, touch-based iPad version is coming too.

My dream scenario for this is that Gearbox is trying to get away from AAA a bit and trying to become a kind of mini publisher of smaller projects, meaning that their plan is to give Homeworld 3 to a developer who knows how to make this kind of thing. I don't see how them doing it can work out well. But yeah, between their spotty track record and especially Duke Nukem Forever and the Aliens scandal, I would rather several large publishers end up with this before Gearbox.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

13. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 22:10 eRe4s3r

Crytek bought the developers (Vigil Games) not the IP  

12. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 22:10 nin

Rattlehead wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 22:08:
I thought Crytek acquired Darksiders?

They acquired the devs, not the IP. Although they were going to try and get the IP, too. Didn't happen.

11. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 22:09 eRe4s3r

But destroying shit is FUN I never cared for the story or the missions  

10. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 22:08 Rattlehead

I thought Crytek acquired Darksiders?  

9. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 21:51 Cutter

RFG was lame. Just going to site after site and destroying the same shit. Would have been way better if it had remotely been anything close to as good as GTA.

And what was it those yoyos on KS thought they could get the IP for? 50k? Lulz!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 21:47 Qbex .

Homeworld 3 - new Gearbox's console port, cover based,"E" mashing, container opening, first person shooter. You've heard it here first.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo