Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP

Gearbox Software announces they are the winner of the Homeworld IP that was auctioned off as part of the bankruptcy of THQ (thanks nin). TeamPixel indicated that the rights to the sci-fi RTS series had been sold to someone other than them last week in announcing refunds for their Kickstarter to buy the IP. Here's word from Gearbox:

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Please visit the Gearbox Software Forums to share with us and Brian what you think should be done with Homeworld moving forward. And, please try to get our attention if you have capability and interest to join the effort in developing or enabling Homeworld's future.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:04 saluk

Rts doesn't seem in their wheelhouse.

Although other than borderlands, which obviously was a labor of love, fps doesn't really seem their wheelhouse either.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:59 Wolfox

Kobalt wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:44:
Downward trend? The only game that company has ever made that wasn't mediocre to the extreme was borderlands.

To be fair, the Brothers in Arms games were pretty good. But that was a long time ago.

11. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:52 ViRGE

Gearbox, huh? I can't say I was expecting that. But at least they're going to ensure the first two games get properly redistributed.  

10. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:50 Tumbler

Downward trend? The only game that company has ever made that wasn't mediocre to the extreme was borderlands.

They seem to do ok with "Borderlands" titled games but both of the other ventures (DNF and Aliens) seem to have been industry collapsing black holes of suck.

At least when epic goes off the "Gears" franchise they don't cause immense discussion on how corrupt the gaming industry is.

Hey Gearbox, can you please give that franchise to someone else? It's for your own good.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

9. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:46 Ward

From the company that took the IP of Duke Nukem and gave you Duke Nukem Forever! And the IP for Aliens and brought you Aliens Colonial Marines!

We are Gearbox and we KNOW what to do with other peoples IP's.

Just look at the games we make!

.....wait....err never mind

8. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:45 Kristian Joensen

I will just quote one my responses in the GBX forum thread suggesting Linux versions of the games:

Why not? Don't ask me! I am all for it and think it makes a lot of sense but Gearbox as a company probably won't do it. They are one of the most "corporate" companies in the industry. No mod tools, no free DLC, no Linux versions, no source code releases for old games(but to be fair they probably don't have the right to do that for any of their old games). They don't do any of those things.

They may as well be one of those big, publicly listed publishers when it comes to those sort of things. You won't see a Linux version of a Gearbox game just as you won't see a Linux version of a Activision game or an EA game.

If Gearbox were to be acquired by Activision nothing would change, all the changes people would usually be worried about already apply to Gearbox as a company. They already operate in that manner.

7. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:45 Sacrifice

I am not usually one to play HD remakes, but the original is a game I would like to play with such upgraded graphics.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

6. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:44 Linksil

It will only be okay if they handle it in house... otherwise it's a toss up to what kind of game will come out of it.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

5. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:44 Kobalt

4. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:43 PropheT

Tumbler wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:42:
Gearbox seems on a downward trend.

Will have to see. Aliens was terrible, but Borderlands 2 wasn't. I guess it just depends on if they can handle multiple IP's or not at this point.

3. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:43 Fantaz

First they get rights to do DNF, then Aliens... now Homeworld? It seems Gearbox sure does love to piss off gamers lately. Given their track record with acquired IPs, I have little hopes that anything good will come out of this unfortunately.  

2. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:42 Tumbler

Seems like an ok place to land. Wait...I'm thinking of Epic. Ah fuck. Gearbox seems on a downward trend.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:40 Raven

The Mothership must survive.  

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo