Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP

Gearbox Software announces they are the winner of the Homeworld IP that was auctioned off as part of the bankruptcy of THQ (thanks nin). TeamPixel indicated that the rights to the sci-fi RTS series had been sold to someone other than them last week in announcing refunds for their Kickstarter to buy the IP. Here's word from Gearbox:

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Please visit the Gearbox Software Forums to share with us and Brian what you think should be done with Homeworld moving forward. And, please try to get our attention if you have capability and interest to join the effort in developing or enabling Homeworld's future.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:52 netnerd85

Kristian Joensen wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:38:
This is just a small portion of the Gearbox people involved. Indeed they one thing they did NOT do was publish it. That was 2K Games.
oh... my... god.

In my defense! I wrote that... without having... oh wait no I had some coke... but still I've been over worked!

My mistake. How did I get that wrong. HOW!

(I like Duke Nukem Forever too, it's awesome.)

can't believe I wrote that I'm a retard

I'll leave now. Never to return again, until... tomorrow or in about 45 mins when I'm tired of working.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:49 Trevellian

I knew before I even opened this comment thread that it would just be a cesspool of hatred towards Gearbox. You guys sure don't disappoint.

I for one am happy Homeworld 1 and 2 will finally see the light of day with possible updated HD Resolutions and functioning Steamworks multiplayer.

That's all I want, I don't need a Homeworld 3, I just want the originals, available and playable online with Steamworks.

Thats it. You can all go back to your circlejerk of anger towards Gearbox for finishing up someone elses games instead of grading them on their own merit (i.e. titles they actually worked 100% on).

Peace.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

31. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:47 netnerd85

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:44:
Randy corrects Brad. He was second...er, fourth.

SHOT DOWN.. In a blaze of Glory.

Randy is such a bitch ;P, kinda funny...

30. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:45 Wallshadows

I can't wait to see which artwork-style they're going to rip off on this followed by Randy hyping the fuck out of it.

"Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games"

Same song, different tune.

29. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:44 nin

Randy corrects Brad. He was second...er, fourth.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:44 Asmo

edaciousx wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:14:
And for DNF... gearbox just finished it up, they didn't really make the game.

Yeah, fairs fair, they just brought the product to the market (at a ridiculous f#cking price point mind you...)

27. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:42 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:36:
They could engender a lot of good will by allocating a bit of resources to the original two and releasing HD versions on GoG and Steam. Do that in the next six months, and people will get excited about HW3 and feel more secure about Gearbox's competence.

Only if Complex 8 and assorted mods continue working..... There are many more good mods for Homeworld 2, for me 90% of the fun is playing Complex 8 vs AI

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 17:52.

26. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:38 Kristian Joensen

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:29:
Kobalt wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:44:
Downward trend? The only game that company has ever made that wasn't mediocre to the extreme was borderlands.
Half Life: Opposing Force.

And FUCK SAKE PEOPLE, stop being dumb as shit, Gearbox did not develop Duke Nukem Forever, they published it, that is ALL.

I mean just how retarded are you people. Google gives you all the answers yet you just continue to be stupid.

Sorry to bring FACTS into your circle jerk of rage.

What do developers do? Code? Art? Lets look at just a small portion of Gearbox's part of the DNF credits(a game I actually enjoyed for what it is worth):

"Director of Central Engineering Paul Nettle
Programmers Aaron Apgar, Bjarni Thor Arnason, Jeff Broome, Ryan Brown, Michael Carlson, Manuel Fernandez, Ryan Fields, Charles Kostick, Sean Cavanaugh, Neil Johnson, Jeffrey Mahmoudi, Ryan Medeiros, Aaron Nations, J. Kyle Pittman, John Roberts, Scott Velasquez, Tim Wu, David Ziman
Technical Artist Nicholas Wilson
Minister of Art Brian Cozzens
Art Outsourcing Producer James Lee"

This is just a small portion of the Gearbox people involved. Indeed they one thing they did NOT do was publish it. That was 2K Games.

Edit:

FYI: Games can have more than one development studio work on them. In fact DNF did. Now yeah 3D Realms did like 90% of what we saw finally(but a lot of the execution and polish on that material was done by Triptych Games a band of 9 ex-3DR developers). But it was 100% Gearbox's responsibility as IP owner. They chose to buy the IP(minus rights to previously released games and projects in development) and release the game, they could well have chosen not to do so.

25. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:37 7.62WorldOrder

It could go to a worse company, and releasing the original and its sequel is a good first step, as far as what can be done immediately.

As far as I know both Aliens and Duke Nukem Forever were handed over to Gearbox on a time crunch after their original developers went tits up, so I can't completely blame them for those games. Even if it is popular to pile on them, there are many worse games out there, and these two probably would have been much worse without Gearbox's hasty spit-shine and polish.

24. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:36 jdreyer

They could engender a lot of good will by allocating a bit of resources to the original two and releasing HD versions on GoG and Steam. Do that in the next six months, and people will get excited about HW3 and feel more secure about Gearbox's competence.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

23. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:35 Mad Max RW

Homeworld: Colonial Marines Forever  

22. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:34 jdreyer

Pros:
  • BL and BL2 were solid

• A:CM and DNF were acquired by them, not created by them from scratch like BL

• The original exists to provide a comparative baseline

• They've had two high profile failures, so there's motivation not to have a third

• Cons:
  • GB has never made an RTS

• A:CM and DNF were shoved out the door unfinished

• Randy can shovel the BS with the best of them

•  

21. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:29 netnerd85

Downward trend? The only game that company has ever made that wasn't mediocre to the extreme was borderlands.
    Half Life: Opposing Force.

And FUCK SAKE PEOPLE, stop being dumb as shit, Gearbox did not develop Duke Nukem Forever, they published it, that is ALL.

I mean just how retarded are you people. Google gives you all the answers yet you just continue to be stupid.

Sorry to bring FACTS into your circle jerk of rage.

20. Death of the IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:28 eRe4s3r

They wanna milk the cow until it's dry. This is really the worst place for the IP to be.. sigh, Gearbox of all places. Even EA would be preferable.

Fuck, Gearbox can't even do RTS, never ever are they not gonna make total suckage out of this.

After A:CM and Duke Nukem you know how good they are at "getting" an IP. They are the destroyers of Franchises, Aliens is DEAD. Duke Nukem is DEAD. Sponsored by Gearbox. And it does not matter a single bit whether they developed DNF or not. They put their name on it and lied. They put their name on ALiens:CM and lied. Maybe they could develop a half-assed good game, or a re-release "Homeworld 2 HD" but they will still end up being total asses and lie to us every step of the way.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 17:35.

19. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:23 Mashiki Amiketo

ViRGE wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:52:
    Gearbox, huh? I can't say I was expecting that. But at least they're going to ensure the first two games get properly redistributed.
    Yeah my disks are toast, so hopefully it'll end up on GOG.

I would have been happier of Creative Assembly got it though.

--
    "For every human problem,
    there is a neat, simple solution;
    and it is always wrong."
    --H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:23 Paketep

Fuck.

Well, guess something had to compensate Relic going to Sega and not EA or Acti.

Still, FUCK.

17. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:21 jdreyer

Sacrifice wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:45:
    I am not usually one to play HD remakes, but the original is a game I would like to play with such upgraded graphics.

Actually, this. I would pay for that. The original graphics are pretty rough at this point, to the point that I don't want to even load it despite the fantastic gameplay. Just too much immersion breaking.

16. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:16 Fantaz

Wolfox wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:59:

To be fair, the Brothers in Arms games were pretty good. But that was a long time ago.

Oh yeah, World War 2 shooters... those may have been good but really, did we need more WW2 shooters? Borderlands isn't even very original tbh. it takes elements from all kinds of different games and puts it into one. These Gearbox guys can't seem to do a fresh, new original IP... and even with the existing IPs or franchises they work with, they screw those up too.

edaciousx wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:14:

I really enjoyed their half life expansion packs.

HL expansions?? LOL! When was that, a decade ago? Whoever worked on that is probably long gone so those are irrelevant now. I'm starting to believe what an earlier commenter said, that they're one of the most "corporate" game companies in the industry now, and Aliens: CM is a clear indicator of that.

15. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:14 edaciousx

I really enjoyed their half life expansion packs.

And for DNF... gearbox just finished it up, they didn't really make the game.

14. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 17:14 Techie714

Ward wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 16:46:
    From the company that took the IP of Duke Nukem and gave you Duke Nukem Forever! And the IP for Aliens and brought you Aliens Colonial Marines!

We are Gearbox and we KNOW what to do with other peoples IP's.

Just look at the games we make!

.....wait....err never mind

Best post so far!

Steam (ID)
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
    DEAD SH0T
    Keep your privacy!
    http://prism-break.org/

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer