Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP

Gearbox Software announces they are the winner of the Homeworld IP that was auctioned off as part of the bankruptcy of THQ (thanks nin). TeamPixel indicated that the rights to the sci-fi RTS series had been sold to someone other than them last week in announcing refunds for their Kickstarter to buy the IP. Here's word from Gearbox:

Gearbox Software has prevailed as the highest bidder in the acquisition of the Homeworld franchise from THQ. Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's Chief Creative Officer, has great love and respect for Relic's brilliant, fun and innovative game and personally spearheaded the acquisition.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.

Please visit the Gearbox Software Forums to share with us and Brian what you think should be done with Homeworld moving forward. And, please try to get our attention if you have capability and interest to join the effort in developing or enabling Homeworld's future.

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

53. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 19:19 Kosh401

Well, that's definitely not great news. Recent-ish release issues aside, I also don't relate Gearbox to detailed and quality RTS games. I'll be keeping an eye out for news/info, but not going to get my hopes up now.

If only SEGA/Relic has acquired it for Relic to develop. Man, that would have been nice.

As others mentioned, I could be convinced to buy a reasonably priced HD makeover at least.

EDIT: I took that "leading digital platforms" comment to mean Steam, Origin, etc.; platforms for distributing games.... that's pretty disturbing if they would actually try to put Homeworld on consoles O_o

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 19:14 Atomic

KS wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:09:
Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms

Translation : Let the console-oriented rape commence.

I was thinking tablets, but yea, surprised no one else has picked up on that. Obviously, they are not thinking of a PC game, or they would of said "on today's cutting edge hardware".

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

51. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 19:12 Mad Max RW

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:22:
I can understand the point about them coming in late on DNF and trying to wrap it up, but giving them cover for Alien Colonial Marines is utterly ridiculous. They were the ones that got the contract. They did not come in on a half-finished project. It was theirs to screw up, and screw it up they did.

This is exactly what happened to Colonial Marines:

After SEGA acquired the Aliens/AvP video game license they contacted Gearbox to develop a new A:CM not at all connected to the long canceled PS2 Colonial Marines game. Gearbox was seeing major financial problems and was forced to lay off a ton of their staff. What happened was the remaining people focused entirely on Borderlands 1 development and A:CM development was in the hands of a skeleton crew. After a couple years Sega saw it was going nowhere and briefly put everything on hold. Borderlands 1 launched and sold like hot cakes, saving Gearbox as a studio. Sega then restarted A:CM at the same time Gearbox went full speed ahead on Borderlands 2. What happened next is Randy Pitchford farmed out work on Colonial Marines to a handful of studios, including Timegate at the end of 2010. The last year of development it was an incomplete Frankenstein of a game. A Frankengame, as it were. Gearbox asked Sega for more time after getting multiple delays already. Sega said no (it was costing them upwards of $100 million at this point) and rushed to completion, then going gold at the end of 2012.

In short, everybody fucked up and Randy Pitchford is a huge lying asshole. And it goes all the way back to how he handled their Halo port. But that's a longer story. He's a liar, a thief, and should never be trusted.

50. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:57 dj LiTh

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.  

49. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:44 Beelzebud

Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:40:
Well, it could have been worse. Could also have been better. At least they're getting to work on putting Homeworld up on GOG (at least, that's what I assume from the statement.)

As for them developing a new Homeworld, I don't really see it happening. Gearbox has never made an RTS, or even anything like it. I would imagine if they judge the interest big enough, they'll farm the IP out to someone (Relic perhaps?)

Creston

Never underestimate ego and arrogance. Bethesda had never made a isometric turn based RPG before either, but that didn't stop them from buying the Fallout franchise and converting it into a shooter.

48. Re: Death of the IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:40 OpticNerve

Ffffuuuuuuuuuu-

Ah well. RIP Homeworld.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

47. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:40 Creston

Well, it could have been worse. Could also have been better. At least they're getting to work on putting Homeworld up on GOG (at least, that's what I assume from the statement.)

As for them developing a new Homeworld, I don't really see it happening. Gearbox has never made an RTS, or even anything like it. I would imagine if they judge the interest big enough, they'll farm the IP out to someone (Relic perhaps?)

Creston

46. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:22 Beelzebud

I can understand the point about them coming in late on DNF and trying to wrap it up, but giving them cover for Alien Colonial Marines is utterly ridiculous. They were the ones that got the contract. They did not come in on a half-finished project. It was theirs to screw up, and screw it up they did.

45. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:20 Trevellian

Prez wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:06:
It seems a little unfair to judge Gearbox on how Aliens and DNF turned out. Both were extremely troubled products that had a sordid history before Gearbox even touched them. My only real concern with them acquiring the Homeworld IP is that they have no experience making RTS's , though I imagine they can easily hire some talent to fill that gap. I certainly hope they wouldn't try making a Homeworld-based FPS.

I'll admit Gearbox was not on my wishlist for companies I was hoping would acquire the property, but as someone who loved the Borderlands series more than America and apple pie I am willing to give them a chance here. After all, a lot of the problems that Borderlands and its sequel had were inherent to being designed to run on consoles, and most likely any new Homeworld RTS would be designed PC first.

You pretty much some up my feelings well Prez. However I feel like their UI and PC support improved 10 fold between Borderlands 1 and 2 so I don't see them making a super shitty interface if they do Homeworld 3.

As well, even looking back at the originals I don't think it would be too hard to make a Homeworld sequel. The ship design was simple yet elegant, the combat and movement engines are already in place. Homeworld seems like an incredibly hard IP to fuck up, even Relic didn't rewrite the engine between 1 and 2 they just bumped up the graphics and added some new ships.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 18:30.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

44. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:19 Cutter

The review for Gearbox's "Homeworld" was merely a one word review which simply read....

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

43. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:18 Wolfox

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:17:
I hope the 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, because then it means there is a universe in which companies like Looking Glass made it, and companies like Gearbox went bankrupt.

But you're not in that universe, so what difference does it make?

42. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:18 Redmask

It seems a little unfair to judge Gearbox on how Aliens and DNF turned out. Both were extremely troubled products that had a sordid history before Gearbox even touched them. My only real concern with them acquiring the Homeworld IP is that they have no experience making RTS's , though I imagine they can easily hire some talent to fill that gap. I certainly hope they wouldn't try making a Homeworld-based FPS.

I'll admit Gearbox was not on my wishlist for companies I was hoping would acquire the property, but as someone who loved the Borderlands series more than America and apple pie I am willing to give them a chance here. After all, a lot of the problems that Borderlands and its sequel had were inherent to being designed to run on consoles, and most likely any new Homeworld RTS would be designed PC first.

I don't really see Gearbox making a Homeworld RTS game in todays market, they would need it to function on consoles and controls are difficult at best. Also what kind of market for RTS games is there on consoles? X-Com is about as much strategy as you can manage without turning your game into Halo Wars. What else can they do to make money off the game but ship something in a different genre? Does anyone really see Gearbox making an exclusive PC RTS in 2013+?

I would love to see more Homeworld games but not as an FPS or third person Gears clone.

41. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:17 Beelzebud

I hope the 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, because then it means there is a universe in which companies like Looking Glass made it, and companies like Gearbox went bankrupt.  

40. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:15 nin

It seems a little unfair to judge Gearbox on how Aliens and DNF turned out. Both were extremely troubled products that had a sordid history before Gearbox even touched them.

If they want to slap their name on the box, crow to the heavens, and expect the accolades, then they should also be able to take criticism, when the product fails.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:15 jdreyer

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:47:
nin wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:44:
Randy corrects Brad. He was second...er, fourth.

SHOT DOWN.. In a blaze of Glory.

Randy is such a bitch ;P, kinda funny...

It's a bit of a shame that Stardock DIDN'T end up with it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:12 Fantaz

Gearbox is a console developer... and I am willing to bet you a million dollars the next Homeworld game's primary platform will be next-gen consoles (or maybe even current gen 360/PS3 if they're really that stupid!) ", with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms." <-- see that right there in the press release?

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:35:
Homeworld: Colonial Marines Forever

We already know it's going to be a shooter! Everything you know about Homeworld is only in the name. It will be like XCOM, and change the name to The Bureau, or some shit like that. History repeating itself. They already started a Homeworld forum on Gearbox already where people can bitch and complain, how lovely.

37. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:10 Kristian Joensen

As far as I know A:CM had 0 history before Gearbox touched it. It was started at Gearbox. BEFORE being farmed out to Timegate(Supposedly a Gearbox decision, under Gearbox control) only to be taken back to Gearbox.  

36. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:09 KS

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms

Translation : Let the console-oriented rape commence.

In businessman-speak: We're re-imagineeringating it!

35. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:06 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

34. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 18:05 Reikon

Even if we ignore DNF and Aliens, Borderlands had terrible PC UI, and UI is pretty damn important in RTS games, especially Homeworld which has 3D movement.  

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo