Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 22:49 Sepharo

Harlequin wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:25:
Wikipedia a 'force of good'? Are you kidding me? Aside from entertainment and tech information when you get to real hard data like science, religion, history, etc it's nothing but a bunch of arm chair (insert title here) pretending to know more then they do being a 'expert' on a topic they never studied in school or in many cases read a book on. No surprise one of the founders seeing the inherit flow of pedia founded his own site with only qualified experts of a field can edit a article of that topic. THAT makes a lot more sense to me then what you get with pedia. Edit wars (2 idiots on the same topic trying to be 'right') and more times then not someone trying to put forward their own ideals, morals, world view in a alleged bias free site. See most religion topics for a prime example. In most non-xian pages they talk about said religious stories in the context of fictional myth, but go to the xian pages and there is a slant towards it being more 'real', historical. I never use pedia for anything more then getting fluff info like getting a movie synopsis.

I'm glad you're not editing Wikipedia because this post is nearly unreadable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 19:50 jdreyer

Wallshadows wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 18:23:
I wonder if there have been any numbers bounced around behind the scenes between Netflix and Fox to pick up Firefly.

They know how much fans want it, it's why they used it as their April Fools joke.

Joss not available, and major chars have been killed off. Sadly, I think that ship has sailed.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 18:23 Wallshadows

I wonder if there have been any numbers bounced around behind the scenes between Netflix and Fox to pick up Firefly.

They know how much fans want it, it's why they used it as their April Fools joke.

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 13:04 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 09:26:
I've been really enjoying all of Netflixs original programming and I think this is really the way forward for them. House of Cards cost something like 100mil all told but it would have cost them just as much or more to license an exclusive big property name to replace it anyway. They have access to way better viewing metrics and can weigh things outside of advertising demands, giving niche content a better shot.

Yeah, I see them very much following the HBO model: Make high-quality shows that appeal to a specific niche strongly enough to get a person to part with $8 per month for that one show. Yes, of course they'll watch other stuff once they have the service, but that one show will provide the impetus to subscribe.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. The Nielsen Family is dead Apr 22, 2013, 11:29 Creston

LET'S FUCKING HOPE SO!

Having years and years and years of awesome television be canceled because these 25000 families worth of fucking fossils that watch nothing except American Fucking Idol aren't watching has been the fucking biggest farce since the inception of television.

So, wow, maybe you're saying that Community is actually a show worth keeping around? WHODATHUNKIT?

Can all these dumbass television execs spontaneously catch fire? Please?

Creston

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 11:25 Harlequin

Wikipedia a 'force of good'? Are you kidding me? Aside from entertainment and tech information when you get to real hard data like science, religion, history, etc it's nothing but a bunch of arm chair (insert title here) pretending to know more then they do being a 'expert' on a topic they never studied in school or in many cases read a book on. No surprise one of the founders seeing the inherit flow of pedia founded his own site with only qualified experts of a field can edit a article of that topic. THAT makes a lot more sense to me then what you get with pedia. Edit wars (2 idiots on the same topic trying to be 'right') and more times then not someone trying to put forward their own ideals, morals, world view in a alleged bias free site. See most religion topics for a prime example. In most non-xian pages they talk about said religious stories in the context of fictional myth, but go to the xian pages and there is a slant towards it being more 'real', historical. I never use pedia for anything more then getting fluff info like getting a movie synopsis.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 11:18 Axis

Netflix owns face, cable is shit.  

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 09:42 Mr. Tact

I'm surprised the "Nielsen ratings" have survived as long as they have. I've always assumed the only reason they did was because it was used as a basis for charging rates for commercial time during various shows. Which seemed crazy to me, but whatever...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2013, 09:26 Verno

I've been really enjoying all of Netflixs original programming and I think this is really the way forward for them. House of Cards cost something like 100mil all told but it would have cost them just as much or more to license an exclusive big property name to replace it anyway. They have access to way better viewing metrics and can weigh things outside of advertising demands, giving niche content a better shot.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo