Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 23, 2013, 10:42 Verno

Tumbler wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 17:05:
Reading House of Suns atm, that is kind of dragging, need to finish it and move on.

Yeah that's a weird one, some people say its his best book but I've always found Reynolds characterization to be really poor and House of Suns didn't change my mind.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 23, 2013, 07:57 Mr. Tact

Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.
I've read Dune many times. The first 4 or 5 times I kept catching new stuff.

I'd definitely agree the second and third books in the original Dune trilogy are average. I thought the 4th was better, but still not as good as the first. I felt the fifth and sixth were much better, close to the original. I've also read the prequels written by his son and what would be the 7th and 8th novels. I know the 7th and 8th are based on an outline by Frank, not sure how fleshed out that outline was. The prequels about the families (House Atreides, etc..) where meh. However the others however, The Butlerian Jihad; The Machine Crusade; The Battle of Corrin were enjoyable and I thought he did a very good job of "setting up" Dune. I haven't read the Heroes of Dune series.

Pandora's Star is on my list at Amazon now. I'll see when I can get to it. After hearing about the expansive universe he creates, I'll be interested to see how it stacks up against Banks' Culture universe which for me currently holds the title of "fictional place I'd most like to live".

Edit: On the off chance this inspires someone to tackle the prequels or the 7th and 8th novels. I'd suggest reading the three non-family prequels (The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin) and then read 7th and 8th which are Hunters of Dune; Sandworms of Dune.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2013, 08:56.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 23, 2013, 01:40 Creston

I passed on Misspent Youth. Are the follow up books after those two any good? (Void Trilogy)

I like the way he advanced the universe 1000 years and still managed to come up with believable ultra-advanced technology. Like Pandora's Star it's a case of multiple storylines eventually coming together, but unfortunately there are a few of them that are just not that interesting, plus there's a lot of "Err...what?" going on in the start for you as the reader, as he basically jumps straight into the middle and doesn't explain certain things until halfway through the story.

The books are split between the future universe and the story of the Waterwalker, and while I wish he'd made the Waterwalker story shorter and given the future universe more time to shine, both storylines are actually pretty gripping.

If you enjoyed Pandora and Judas, the Void trilogy is basically more of the same (even with some of the same characters. Paula Myo is back!) and you'll definitely enjoy them.

Creston

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 22, 2013, 20:45 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 20:12:
Well they had them on camera and it didn't stop shit, did it? In fact I'd wager it's never stopped any crime. All it's goof for is finding the criminals after the fact and that doesn't seem a certainty either. So really it's a waste of tax dollars that allows obese rent-a-cops to sit around and watch people pick their noses and scratch their asses in public.

But they did catch the bad guys. And I'm not sure why we need to attack cops either. I'm sure plenty here sit on their ass for a living looking at a screen.

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 20:12 Cutter

Well they had them on camera and it didn't stop shit, did it? In fact I'd wager it's never stopped any crime. All it's goof for is finding the criminals after the fact and that doesn't seem a certainty either. So really it's a waste of tax dollars that allows obese rent-a-cops to sit around and watch people pick their noses and scratch their asses in public.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 20:10 Tom

Amazing universe he manages to build and a believable future. It's equal to Dune (the first book) but delivers more. Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.

Great assessment of the Dune series. It's hard for me to believe anything could equal or surpass that first book...

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 22, 2013, 19:00 HorrorScope

This is one of those tough ones for me. One part says "yeah I don't want to be watched", but the other part of me says "wtf am I doing that they'd even care to watch? nothing." So really it's only used to catch the bad guy right? What would they be getting catching a nameless face strolling around shopping etc?

All back to if you aren't doing anything wrong, it's really not affecting you. They'd be shit up a creek right now if they didn't have the video evidence in Boston it seems. The killers were just chillin with their friends afterwards assuming not getting caught. But what we learned is do a little make up and beard work first...

Sort of like DRM/Always online to me. I got to get bit more before I freaked, otherwise I feel I'm overly paranoid.

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 17:05 Tumbler

I just finished Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained about a month ago! Fantastic books! They reminded me of the complexity of the game of thrones books. The author likes to just throw you into the deep end and see how long it takes you to learn to swim.

I felt like the author was fucking with me for half the book and at that point things finally started moving forward.

Amazing universe he manages to build and a believable future. It's equal to Dune (the first book) but delivers more. Dune is tragically short. There are 6 books but the first one is unique. The remaining books don't have the same intensity. I made it to the end of book 4 (dune) and quit. Bored as hell.

I passed on Misspent Youth. Are the follow up books after those two any good? (Void Trilogy)

Reading House of Suns atm, that is kind of dragging, need to finish it and move on.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention Pushing Ice. I really enjoyed that one, it's the same author as House of Suns, Alastair Reynolds. Highly recommend Pushing Ice.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 16:12 Creston

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 12:09:
Creston wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:47:
If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.
A bold claim. I currently give that title to Dune for a single novel. Is there any advantage to reading Misspent Youth first?

Not really. Misspent Youth is not a very good novel; it's basically about some geriatric old fool who undergoes the first rejuvenation treatment, and then spends the entire book enjoying being young again to the detriment of others, including his own son. Other than the rejuvenation treatment (which realistically exists in pretty much every Hamilton novel, even though he gives it a different name and somewhat different concept in other series), Misspent Youth has little in common with Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 16:07 Creston

Double post.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 16:12.

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 16:06 Creston

nin wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:48:
Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.

Better than Altered Carbon?!

I thought so, yeah, but obviously tastes will differ. I love huge, expansive universes and Hamilton is a fucking champ at creating those.

I will agree with Verno and that his endings are typically Deus Ex Machina and reasonably terrible, though the Void Trilogy, I thought, ended fairly logically, and Judas Unchained, while perhaps a tad grandiose and overblown, had a pretty decent ending too.

Creston

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 14:34 Cutter

Yosemite Sam wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 13:02:
Ya it's not spying if the cameras are out in plain view for everyone to see.

Well that all depends on the field of view. Public property than no. Private property, then yes, it is spying. Regardless, just because you're in public it doesn't mean you're not entitled to privacy and personal space.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 13:02 Yosemite Sam

Ya it's not spying if the cameras are out in plain view for everyone to see.  

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:15 Beamer

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 12:08:
Hamilton is like Dan Simmons, great author but cannot write an ending to save his life. Also never google authors you read, I had no idea Simmons was such a nutcase before and would have been happier not knowing

I just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons and have to say its one of his best.

I've only read that and Drood, but as I've said to others, I felt the ending of The Terror was horrible. Loved the rest of the book.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:09 Mr. Tact

If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.
A bold claim. I currently give that title to Dune for a single novel. Is there any advantage to reading Misspent Youth first?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:08 Verno

Hamilton is like Dan Simmons, great author but cannot write an ending to save his life. Also never google authors you read, I had no idea Simmons was such a nutcase before and would have been happier not knowing

I just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons and have to say its one of his best.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 12:00 Ratty

The novel I'm currently reading, "The Great North Road" by Peter F Hamilton, unintentionally has a very topical part about how they investigate a murder in a city where every single inch is covered with the future equivalent of cameras.

Essentially they just pull all the data from every "camera" in the entire city for a set amount of time and colate it into this VR 'zone' which allows them to observe the city second by second and backtrack basically everyone and everything that way.

It's a cool thing to read, but quite unnerving if you think about it. It seems pretty likely that's the direction it's going to go, though. Especially in the UK (where Hamilton is from.)

Great sci-fi writer, btw. If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.

Creston
Love love love Hamilton (except his endings, those have consistently stunk). I was thinking about getting North Road but I don't really care for detective scifi. Murder mysteries in spaaaace. Nah.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 11:48 nin

Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.

Better than Altered Carbon?!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 22, 2013, 11:47 Creston

The novel I'm currently reading, "The Great North Road" by Peter F Hamilton, unintentionally has a very topical part about how they investigate a murder in a city where every single inch is covered with the future equivalent of cameras.

Essentially they just pull all the data from every "camera" in the entire city for a set amount of time and colate it into this VR 'zone' which allows them to observe the city second by second and backtrack basically everyone and everything that way.

It's a cool thing to read, but quite unnerving if you think about it. It seems pretty likely that's the direction it's going to go, though. Especially in the UK (where Hamilton is from.)

Great sci-fi writer, btw. If you love expansive sci-fi, pick up his "Pandora's Star" novel. Best sci-fi novel ever, imo.

Creston

2. not a very good prediction.... Apr 22, 2013, 11:07 Shataan

I remember when I 1st saw Surveilance Cameras. It was way back years ago, when the Irish Police/Government put them up to identify Rioters/IRA types etc. I knew way back then, that it was just a matter of time till it was adopted in N America.

And yes this stuff can be put to great use against the criminal element. But it is as well is being put to great use against the average citizen.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo