Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Curiosity Adds Adding

Eurogamer has word on a new feature in Curiosity What's Inside the Cube?, the clickfest/gullibility experiment from Peter Molyneux's 22Cans. The planned PC edition of the game has still not materialized, but what has been materializing is more of the game's namesake cube, as they have added the ability for users to pay to add back to it, even as other players chip away at the cube to earn access to the "life-changingly amazing" secret contained within. Points to Gamasutra for pointing out: "Peter Molyneux may have just monetized trolling," though arguably this was achieved when this app initially launched. Thanks nin.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 11:52 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 23:35:
If my gut is right, this feels like Molyneux has realised his Populous remake isn't going to be possible with the money he raised on Kickstarter

He raised 400 some K, and has a studio of... what, 80 or so people? So he can pay them for... what, 2 months? Yeah, it never seemed like the math was really working out there.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 09:51 Verno

Sites should really just stop publicizing this, giving this guy eyeballs for an obvious ripoff is silly.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

13. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 09:13 Mr. Tact

I hope he makes millions. Proving people are as stupid as I think they are.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 08:59 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 23:35:
I "played" this "game" on my girlfriend's iPad for about 5 minutes and never touched it again. It's everything that's gross about the exploitive non-game garbage that Zynga produces, except now he's added the ability to pay to make it go in reverse. If my gut is right, this feels like Molyneux has realised his Populous remake isn't going to be possible with the money he raised on Kickstarter and this is a way to help fill out the coffers to try and get that to market. Could be completely wrong but given his penchant for going way over time and budget, this might be what he has to do since he has no publisher to get more money from this time around.

Man, I had my first real taste of Zynga this past month. Scramble With Friends and What's the Phrase. Dear god, are they annoying. Slow, ads everywhere. I suppose I can pay my way around, but...

This just sounds infinitely more so. Microtransactions don't work for me. They kill the fluidity of gameplay, even when the game isn't designed specifically for that purpose.

However, letting you pay to screw others over is hysterical, in a "holy crap they made a bad idea worse!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 07:11 xXBatmanXx

Haven't dl'd the program (and never will) but can't you just create a simple script to super click for you?

Anyway, we went around this thing before, it is a money grab by an asshole.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

10. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 04:23 jdreyer

I'm curious, what is causing all these people to DL Curiosity? Curiously, I was not even mildly compelled to check out Curiosity, based on the hype, previews, and marketing.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 22, 2013, 01:23 saluk

Lol this is awesome. I'm sure Molyneux is making more money on his secret betting cabal (borrowed from Rat Race) than he's making on the actual game.  

7. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 23:35 Parallax Abstraction

I "played" this "game" on my girlfriend's iPad for about 5 minutes and never touched it again. It's everything that's gross about the exploitive non-game garbage that Zynga produces, except now he's added the ability to pay to make it go in reverse. If my gut is right, this feels like Molyneux has realised his Populous remake isn't going to be possible with the money he raised on Kickstarter and this is a way to help fill out the coffers to try and get that to market. Could be completely wrong but given his penchant for going way over time and budget, this might be what he has to do since he has no publisher to get more money from this time around.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 20:29 Dr. D. Schreber

At the center of the cube is this.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

5. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 20:07 Creston

Every single lemming who participates in this is literally braindead.

Creston

4. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 17:13 jdreyer

The description of this post is so full of win. Thanks Blue.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 16:56 eRe4s3r

From the numbers he published it doesn't seem like many people actually "play" and "pay" for this ;p (less than 2000)  

2. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 16:34 Cutter

Yeah, I'm sure Petey would love nothing better than for it to be a war of attrition as he rakes in the dough for nothing.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: Curiosity Adds Adding Apr 21, 2013, 15:09 Dev

0.69 will add 10,000 cublets. 4.99 adds 100,000 and 7.49 adds 500,000.

You can also remove the same numbers of cublets for the same amounts, creating what Molyneux hopes will become a "war of attrition".
[...]
So far, users have paid to remove 13,780,000 cublets and add another 4,680,000, for a total difference of -9.1 million cublets on the next layer.

The experiment is now 164 days old. During that time, 260 layers have been hammered off.

The new features will be deactivated two layers before the end of the cube.

I thought no one was supposed to know the size until the end? Ending those features 2 layers before means ppl will get a big clue as to when it will end.

Anyway, this is no "experiment" its trying to get piles of money for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. And apparently its working.

Although if you calculate the total paid to add/remove, at the 500k price its a hilarious about 300 british pounds. They also have at least 3 million suckers I mean people who've downloaded the app and tried it.
I'm fairly sure thats a horrible conversion rate, which hopefully means most people who tried this have a tiny clue

(note, this is just guesses, and if there's other paid options, I'm not counting them, only going by what I've pasted above)

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2013, 15:15.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo