Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Note to CBS: Your inability to schedule accurately around your sporting events is a big pain. MrsBlue is a fan of "The Good Wife" (I assume its a female thing) and because you always have sports that run long on Sunday, she has been forced to add 90 minutes to the end of her recordings of it on the DVR to ensure it doesn't get cut off (that's probably 30 minutes too long, she's needed an hour more than once). So on a night when all the best shows air, I have the tyranny of the DVR being locked for two and a half hours into a network that doesn't carry any of them. Tyranny I say!!!

Tyrannical Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Forest Siege.
Stories: Baserunning adventures of Milwaukee Brewers shortstop Jean Segura. Thanks nin.
Czech Republic Ambassador- Don't Confuse Us With Chechnya.
Sean Connery.
Media: TV BdayPALOOZA.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Driving by Wil Sasso. Thanks reddit. NSFW.
14-year-old disabled kid does hilarious stand-up comedy.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Brevity.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 08:30 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 10:34:
Blue wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 07:14:
SabaDiver wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 18:58:
Blue, if available in your area, get Direct TV. They have a DVR that allows you to record up to 5 shows at once and stream it between any TV in your house.

That's a sore point. I've had DirecTV for over 12 years, and my loyalty is rewarded by them only offering their cool new DVRs to new customers. Grrr.

Man a 12 year account without interruption is awesome retention currency. Call up, ask to cancel your account and they will forward you to retentions who will definitely get you a subsidized DVR to stick around.

Yup. I am on my 2 years next month, and I will be calling to "cancel" to get a lower price on their most expensive package setup.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 10:34 Verno

Blue, if available in your area, get Direct TV. They have a DVR that allows you to record up to 5 shows at once and stream it between any TV in your house.

That's a sore point. I've had DirecTV for over 12 years, and my loyalty is rewarded by them only offering their cool new DVRs to new customers. Grrr.

Man a 12 year account without interruption is awesome retention currency. Call up, ask to cancel your account and they will forward you to retentions who will definitely get you a subsidized DVR to stick around.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 09:42 ^Drag0n^

I retort with a media PC/Roku and CBS.com's video on demand section. No DVR required. I don't think my wife and I ever watch a show during it's initial airing.  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 08:04 Mr. Tact

Based on what I've read in this DirecTV forum (which I frequent) I would advise:

1) Keeping trying. One representative might turn you down, the next may give the thumbs up. There seems to be a quota system for reps. giving out discounts -- ie.. they can only give out so many per week/month.

2) Mention you are considering swapping to Dish to get the Hopper. Ask to speak with the retention group.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2013, 08:23.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 07:14  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 22, 2013, 07:07 xXBatmanXx

Closed Captioning Fail.

Well, there are 2 types of technologies for CC, one is like your phone that types what it thinks it hears, and the other is someone actually typing.

I once had a client who owned a studio that would CC movies and tv shows. Was pretty damn cool to watch and chat with the people that worked there. They got to see their favorite tv shows weeks in advance to CC them.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

9. Czech Republic vs. Chechnya Apr 22, 2013, 06:16 Agrajag

I'm reminded of the "Pine barrens" episode of "The Sopranos"...

Tony: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie: Get the fuck outta here.

Tony: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie: I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

8. Re: I feel your pain! Apr 22, 2013, 04:28 Domgrief

Darth Guybrush wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 18:06:
Is a pain in the arse yes. In Australia the culprit is "My Kitchen Rules". It just goes on and on and on FFS!

In Australia, the culprit is Channel 7 in general. I don't think I've ever seen a show start on time.

Between that, its tendency to mess around with ad breaks by using "bonus extras" Confused , their advertorials disguised as current affairs programs, and their penchant to change timeslots (or skip weeks entirely) several times during the course of a TV season, the whole channel is pretty much now a running joke at home (and a constant source of content for MediaWatch).

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 20:29 xXBatmanXx

AlexSledge wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 17:22:
Doesn't your provider offer On-Demand of prime time / big popular shows, seems at least TWC does around here.

If you're DVR'ing it, you're likely not watching it the evening it airs. If you aren't watching it the evening it airs, but you likely will in the next few weeks, just use the on-demand features provided.

Or go with an XBMC option on the main screen.

If I remember correctly, he has DirecTV, and yes, most primetimes hows are on Demand.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 18:58 Mr. Tact

Yeah, CBS Sunday night is the most consistent reoccurring scheduling issue for years now. Always wondered how much that impacted the ratings for those shows.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 18:58 SabaDiver

4. I feel your pain! Apr 21, 2013, 18:06 Darth Guybrush

Is a pain in the arse yes. In Australia the culprit is "My Kitchen Rules". It just goes on and on and on FFS!  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 17:22 AlexSledge

Doesn't your provider offer On-Demand of prime time / big popular shows, seems at least TWC does around here.

If you're DVR'ing it, you're likely not watching it the evening it airs. If you aren't watching it the evening it airs, but you likely will in the next few weeks, just use the on-demand features provided.

Or go with an XBMC option on the main screen.

I should be coding.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 16:04 Scud

Yep, I remember always having to add an hour or so if I was taping something that came after a sporting event, pain in the ass and one more reason I download all my TV these days.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2013, 15:36 netnerd85

LMAO, There's only one Connery!  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo