Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Sale

• BioWare Games on Gamefly. Save up to 75%. Save 10% more with code from Dealzon.
  • The Debut 2 Bundle on Indie Royale. Save up to 75%.
  • Ridge Racer Unbounded on Steam. Save 66%.
  • Telltale Crazy Sale on GOG.com. Save 85%.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: On Sale Apr 21, 2013, 16:18 Kedyn

$9 for Mass Effect 3 - I think that's the right price to take the plunge. Any DLC I shouldn't miss?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: On Sale Apr 21, 2013, 13:37 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 21, 2013, 02:00:
It's another example of how the pirates have an easier life (download, copy crack into the folder, enjoy) compared to honest customers.
I totally agree with this. In my experience, legit customers are FAR FAR more inconvenienced by protection crap than people who just d/l the stuff. And not just consumers, but businesses too.

15. Re: On Sale Apr 21, 2013, 02:00 El Pit

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 19:30:
Would it be though? My understanding is that in germany, one can go a gamestore and ask them to get the USA retail box imported version from behind the counter, and they can sell it to you. They just can't advertise or display it.

As I said before, I don't know the details of those laws, but when I visited Germany, that was how it seemed to work.

Unfortunately not. Some games are on the "index", and may be bought from behind the counter, though the shops can neither advertise nor display them. Other games have been confiscated and must not be sold at all! The funny thing: a lot of the indexed versions are nevertheless censored. Uncensored boxed versions of indexed titles can be imported, confiscated ones not at all.

And to top it all off, some publishers don't allow the activation of imported versions on Steam.

It's a bloody mess because of pseudo-Christians trying to fool the citizens to believe that games and movies are responsible for violence and therefore need to be censored and classified.

In the end it's coming down to this: with shops like GMG refusing to sell uncensored titles online, even 30- and 40-somethings have to rely on either the gray market key stores (risky) or on Steam gifts from fellow gamers from other countries. Or there is the possiblity to warez those games, which I don't want to. It's another example of how the pirates have an easier life (download, copy crack into the folder, enjoy) compared to honest customers. And on the other hand, we got the games industry whining about less sales... Yeah, right! Sell the (uncensored) game to the people, and they might give you money for it, fools!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

14. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 19:30 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:54:
Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:26:
El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:04:
Thx, Dev, but I won't try proxies and fake addresses to cheat them into TAKING MY MONEY. It's a bit like voting with my wallet: they want my money, they need to put pressure on the publishers.

Instead, it'll be back to Steam gifts for the next sale for the few censored games I'm interested in. Got most of them already, so... I can wait. It's a shame about the great GMG sales, though.
What pressure can they put on the publishers? The publishers hold all the cards, the publishers basically tell companies to comply or they can't sell their stuff.

Also if its censored stuff, the publishers cannot bend, or else they'd be liable (I'm not sure of the details of the laws, they could be theoretically be criminally liable if they allowed it to happen).

Dev, I will not break the law via proxies and fake addresses just to make somebody take my money. If they want it, it's up to them to move and challenge those that stand in the way of their profit. All that I can do is a) don't give my vote to any party supporting censorship, and b) putting pressure on all profiteers by not buying censored games from them.
Would it be though? My understanding is that in germany, one can go a gamestore and ask them to get the USA retail box imported version from behind the counter, and they can sell it to you. They just can't advertise or display it.

As I said before, I don't know the details of those laws, but when I visited Germany, that was how it seemed to work.

13. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 15:54 El Pit

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:26:
Thx, Dev, but I won't try proxies and fake addresses to cheat them into TAKING MY MONEY. It's a bit like voting with my wallet: they want my money, they need to put pressure on the publishers.

Instead, it'll be back to Steam gifts for the next sale for the few censored games I'm interested in. Got most of them already, so... I can wait. It's a shame about the great GMG sales, though.
What pressure can they put on the publishers? The publishers hold all the cards, the publishers basically tell companies to comply or they can't sell their stuff.

Also if its censored stuff, the publishers cannot bend, or else they'd be liable (I'm not sure of the details of the laws, they could be theoretically be criminally liable if they allowed it to happen).

Dev, I will not break the law via proxies and fake addresses just to make somebody take my money. If they want it, it's up to them to move and challenge those that stand in the way of their profit. All that I can do is a) don't give my vote to any party supporting censorship, and b) putting pressure on all profiteers by not buying censored games from them.

12. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 15:26 Dev

11. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 15:04 El Pit

10. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 14:58 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 10:53:
Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 08:04:
El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:55:
And GMG bit the dust for me. They've got regional restrictions now (some games not available anymore for customers with German IPs), so I guess it's bye-bye. What a shame, I really liked them.
Pretty sure they have to by law.

I wonder if a proxy would help a situation like that?

Only until they check the address of the the cc owner. And it would have to be a trusted proxy, i.e. one you need to pay for. Otherwise I wouldn't use it with my cc data. Anyway, too much hassle to deal with. What are they afraid of? Germany invading the UK?
If its like amazon with digital purchases, they don't check address against what the CC company has, so you can put in something else. I have no idea if there's a similar thing you can do with GMG, I'd suggest watching GMG threads (not just on blues) to see what people have tried.

9. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 14:54 Dev

El Pit wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 13:53:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 13:25:
GMG has always had restrictions on their publisher agreements, mainly that certain games can ONLY be sold to UK residents. So it's not just Germany being left out, dude.

As of lately, GMG hat become more prohibitive. Like, I am not allowed to buy GTA: San Andreas, because they're selling the uncensored version. And during their "zombie" sale they even posted on their blog that Germans were not allowed to buy a couple of games. This really sucks, because I bought a lot of games from GMG. What about OZ gamers? Are they allowed to buy the "evil" games?
Probably because as they get bigger and more popular (there's been tons of great GMG deals in the last year) they get more publisher attention, and the publishers start demanding more protections against people buying their games. The threat would be that they wouldn't be able to sell games at all for a certain publisher if they didn't comply

GMG (or steam) doesn't have a problem selling you games you want to play, but for some reason publishers do.

In most cases, the censorship of games can be traced back to laws of the country one lives in. Changing the laws or changing countries that one lives in would be potential solutions.

In other cases its some sorta licensing or some such, and that can be blamed on the companies themselves.

In the case of a particular voucher/sale only working in one country, thats due to the greed of the publisher.
LightAssassin wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 14:53:
Here in Oz (damned wizards) we can now get our naughty games... well some. It's a slow process and many have to be reclassified so that will take awhile. Even then, many won't bother as their games will be too old.

My Left 4 Dead 2 is still bloodless =( But at least I can get the new Mortal Kombat.... =\
Since it should be very small amount of uninteresting work involved on valve's end, they might be willing to patch l4d2 up to include the blood. Just need to get their attention about it.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2013, 15:01.

8. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 14:53 RenownWolf

Here in Oz (damned wizards) we can now get our naughty games... well some. It's a slow process and many have to be reclassified so that will take awhile. Even then, many won't bother as their games will be too old.

My Left 4 Dead 2 is still bloodless =( But at least I can get the new Mortal Kombat.... =\

http://www.renownwolf.com

7. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 13:53 El Pit

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 13:25:
GMG has always had restrictions on their publisher agreements, mainly that certain games can ONLY be sold to UK residents. So it's not just Germany being left out, dude.

As of lately, GMG hat become more prohibitive. Like, I am not allowed to buy GTA: San Andreas, because they're selling the uncensored version. And during their "zombie" sale they even posted on their blog that Germans were not allowed to buy a couple of games. This really sucks, because I bought a lot of games from GMG. What about OZ gamers? Are they allowed to buy the "evil" games?

6. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 13:25 jacobvandy

5. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 13:12 El Pit

The only thing this kind of "prohibition" induces, is less sales for the legal shops, and more sales of keys from the grey market, including trouble with Russian, etc. keys on Steam. Complete bs, if you ask me.

But on the other hand, a couple of people here already helped me out on Steam with uncensored games, so it's no biggie in the end thanks to you, guys.

4. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 10:53 El Pit

Dev wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 08:04:
And GMG bit the dust for me. They've got regional restrictions now (some games not available anymore for customers with German IPs), so I guess it's bye-bye. What a shame, I really liked them.

Only until they check the address of the the cc owner. And it would have to be a trusted proxy, i.e. one you need to pay for. Otherwise I wouldn't use it with my cc data. Anyway, too much hassle to deal with. What are they afraid of? Germany invading the UK?

3. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 08:04 Dev

2. Re: On Sale Apr 20, 2013, 05:55 El Pit

1. Re: On Sale Apr 19, 2013, 20:59 Acleacius

It's ridiculous bioware is still selling the original releases without any dlc attached and not complete editions.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo