Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within

The Bethesda Blog announces The Evil Within is the game they've been teasing all week, making winners of all those who speculated that this was about a new survival/horror franchise from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks, the developer Bethesda purchased in 2010. There's an The Evil Within Debut Trailer on IGN, a live-action clip showing we are dealing with an entity so evil it hand-crafts its own barbed wire, and word is IGN will have further details on this on Monday. No gameplay is shown (unless this is an FMV game), and no system logos are included. The game has a Facebook page, a Twitter feed, an Instagram account, and a blog on tumblr, the last of which reveals this is coming to PC as well as consoles next year:

Shinji Mikami, the father of survival horror, is back to direct The Evil Within – a game embodying the meaning of pure survival horror. Highly-crafted environments, horrifying anxiety, and an intricate story weave together to create an immersive world that will bring players to the height of tension. The Evil Within is in development for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, PC and next generation consoles and is slated for release in 2014.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 22, 2013, 17:03 Fantaz

New making of video on IGN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d-P5Qm0zkV4

Uses ID Tech 5... looking good.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 20:25 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:56:
Secondly, it's hard to get excited about another Bethesda Fallout when Obsidian's Fallout was so much better.

Except, of course, the world doesn't revolve around you, and there were plenty of people who loved Fallout 3 better than New Vegas, for reasons that have been discussed on this forum ad infinitum. And for those people, this means that Fallout 4 is going to take longer to come out than we had hoped.

Creston

53. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 19:06 siapnar

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:42:
Undying was awesome, great mix of tension and jump scares. The story was convoluted but the characters were really interesting and they did an awesome job on the level design. I wish we could play a modern remake of that.
Undying is probably in my top 10 favourite games.
I would pay good money to have a nicely done remake to today's graphical standards

I have projectile dysfunction.

52. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 19:04 siapnar

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:53:
I don't even want to think that there is someone out there who didn't enjoy Super Mario World
I'm a little late here, but it didn't even dawn on me that it would cover all things Nintendo!

I have projectile dysfunction.

51. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 08:31 Quinn

Jerykk wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:56:
If this man knows how to write horror, he has yet to show it in my book.

"Write" survival horror? Surely you mean "design" survival horror. This is a game we're talking about, not a book or film. Survival horror doesn't need good writing. It just needs good atmosphere and the ability to make players feel vulnerable and uneasy. Gameplay first, writing second.

Yes, I guess I do mean "design". I think it's how you look at it. There's allot of writing involved in the process of putting atmosphere together. But not to sound as an apologist, I guess I mean "design" indeed.

If you look at RE1, with a mindset of the '90s ofc, it's easy to see in what horrible proportions the sequels failed in bringing horror -- the horror that makes you uncomfortable, I mean!!! -- to the genre. So like I said.. for guys like me they certainly should not mention RE in the announcement of a new survival-horror game.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

50. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 06:39 Bludd

I just want to say how happy I am this was not Wolf. Wolf sucks, stop making Wolf.  

49. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 05:56 Jerykk

I'm surprised that people are so angry that this isn't a Fallout 4 announcement. For one, everybody knows that there's going to be another Fallout game. It's an inevitability given the success of the last two games. Secondly, it's hard to get excited about another Bethesda Fallout when Obsidian's Fallout was so much better. If Bethesda announced that Obsidian was going to make the next Fallout, that would be a good reason to get excited.

"Write" survival horror? Surely you mean "design" survival horror. This is a game we're talking about, not a book or film. Survival horror doesn't need good writing. It just needs good atmosphere and the ability to make players feel vulnerable and uneasy. Gameplay first, writing second.

48. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 05:47 Quinn

Spektr wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:09:
I cant believe what I am reading!!! Shinji Mikami is called the father of survival horror??? Sorry but French game maker Frederick Raynal creator of Alone in the dark invented the genre...

It's just marketing nonsense. If anything just mentioning Resident Evil in a new survival-horror game announcement is the absolute LAST thing you should do for people who share my opinion. Apart from RE1, there entire franchise is a freaking joke. Umbrella, uber-zombies.. piss off.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

47. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 04:20 Jerykk

jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:31:
Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:47:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:26:
Lame. Playing off the goodwill created by other Bethesda titles to announce something unrelated. They got their publicity, but they pissed off a lot of people too.

I didn't really follow this stuff much, what did they do?

Just the whole stupid teaser vids they released over the past few days without saying explicitly what it was for. Lots of people were speculating about the next Fallout, which has yet to be announced. Lots of people are interested in another Fallout, or even another Wolfenstein. No one is really interested in this, but they used interest in those unannounced titles to announce this.

That's a bit a generalization. I can think of many people who don't care about Wolfenstein. I can also think of a lot of people who do care about a new survival horror game from the guy who created Resident Evil.

46. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 20, 2013, 03:54 saluk

Intriguing.  

45. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 20:37 Quinn

Grown up with a love for horror movies and having seen almost all of them... I gotta say that this trailer brings it home. There was some sick stuff in there that made pinhead wince. Good show!  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

44. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 17:25 DangerDog

hah what a weak announcement, I've played a bit of these survival horror games like Silent Hill. I didn't find them scary or entertaining.  

43. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 16:51 Cutter

VogelAP wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:04:
I make my own barbed wire. Does that make me an evil person?

Yes, yes it does.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

42. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 16:32 dj LiTh

In my mind, atleast its not wolfenstein.  

41. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 16:22 Prez

JohnBirshire wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:58:
Lame. Playing off the goodwill created by other Bethesda titles to announce something unrelated. They got their publicity, but they pissed off a lot of people too.

I agree. There was a bunch of hoopla over this announcement, and the climax fizzled. A surival horror game from the makers of Resident Evil? Who gives a shit. Next time just announce it without all this fanfare making people believe its something more significant.

Yeah, I went from mildly annoyed by the "teases" to totally put off by the announcement. Very, very lame.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 16:04 VogelAP

I make my own barbed wire. Does that make me an evil person?  
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

39. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 15:31 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:47:

I didn't really follow this stuff much, what did they do?

Just the whole stupid teaser vids they released over the past few days without saying explicitly what it was for. Lots of people were speculating about the next Fallout, which has yet to be announced. Lots of people are interested in another Fallout, or even another Wolfenstein. No one is really interested in this, but they used interest in those unannounced titles to announce this.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 15:22 NKD

Spektr wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:09:
I cant believe what I am reading!!! Shinji Mikami is called the father of survival horror??? Sorry but French game maker Frederick Raynal creator of Alone in the dark invented the genre...

It's a marketing blurb, are you really so shocked and in disbelief over them puffing this guy up?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

37. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 15:09 Spektr

36. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 14:58 JohnBirshire

I agree. There was a bunch of hoopla over this announcement, and the climax fizzled. A surival horror game from the makers of Resident Evil? Who gives a shit. Next time just announce it without all this fanfare making people believe its something more significant.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo