Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges

An update to the Kickstarter that was launched last month by indie developer teamPixel in an effort to fund the purchase of the Homeworld IP announces they have been outbid for the rights to the sci-fi RTS series (thanks GameSpot). It is not known at this point who now owns the property, but since it isn't them, they say they will be refunding the over $50K in pledges they received. They also say that those who supported their efforts will get credits in their upcoming Homeworld-inspired RTS game, which will now obviously center on a new IP. Here's word:

Homeworld will escape the THQ bankruptcy to a new home, however, that home will not be with teamPixel, LLC. The auction for the Homeworld license ended April 15, 2013, and while we reached qualified bidder status for the bankruptcy auction, we were unable to raise the necessary funds to remain competitive against the other parties at the auction. We hope you will join us in supporting Homeworld's new owners in building a future for the franchise. We anticipate an announcement of the new owner to be made within a couple weeks and for the sale to be finalized around mid-May. Words cannot describe how honored we are to have been supported by so many in the community.

As promised, we are offering full refunds to all of our generous donors. To facilitate this process, we've established a website where you can verify that we have properly recorded all of your contributions, supply us with any special instructions for your donation, and track your refund. As a special thanks, we would like to offer each and every donor a special credit in our upcoming space RTS game. Yes, this means we will still be moving forward with our own Homeworld-inspired space RTS, but under our own intellectual property. We hope all of you will stay in touch and follow us during the production of our game.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 12:12 killer_roach

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:34:
In my fantasy world, Creative Assembly bought the IP and have decided to put a temporary hold on developing the Total War series after Rome II so they can work on Homeworld III.

Remember that Sega owns both The Creative Assembly and Relic, the developers of the original Homeworld games. They're the heavy favorite to be the buyer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 11:50 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:29:
Good. I don't think a couple of no-name developers have earned the right to have a franchise like Homeworld just handed to them on a silver platter.

Pretty much my thought. I not sure why they thought they were qualified.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 11:29 Beelzebud

Good. I don't think a couple of no-name developers have earned the right to have a franchise like Homeworld just handed to them on a silver platter.  

15. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 11:19 Cutter

Honestly, it was a dumb idea to begin with.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

14. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:50 eRe4s3r

Which by the way, would be pretty damn EPIC... with Homeworld IP or not.  

13. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:43 Trevellian

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:34:
In my fantasy world, Creative Assembly bought the IP and have decided to put a temporary hold on developing the Total War series after Rome II so they can work on Homeworld III.

or they could call it....
Total War: Spaaaaaaaaaaaace

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

12. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:34 Burrito of Peace

11. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:29 eRe4s3r

I dunno, but I think Homeworld as a IP is probably worth about 250k if you made Homeworld 3 without wasting 100m on advertising you would easily break even. And Homeworld is still the most asked for game in certain circles on the web.  

10. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:19 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:13:
So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?
Who would even pay more than $50K for Homeworld? Sure it was an interesting series, but having been dead for a decade there's not much value to it right now.

9. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:13 eRe4s3r

So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?  

8. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:53 Ozmodan

Ten to one whoever bought the IP won't make a sequel or if they do it won't be very good. I wish teamPixel the best, hope they come up with a great game.  

7. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:43 InBlack

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:40:
I have to agree that using KS to fund the purchase of an IP seems a bit out of line... but hey, if people wanted to give them money for it. As long as they were upfront about what they were doing with the money. It's moot now.

I would gladly donate (a significant ammount of) money via kickstarter to Volition if they decided to buy the rights for a Tie Fighter sequel.

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:41 InBlack

Well until we know the new owner there is little to discuss about this, I will assume though that whoever bought it will attempt to develop some kind of Homeworld game as buying an IP and then sitting on it makes little sense in todays dog-eat-dog world.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:40 Mr. Tact

I have to agree that using KS to fund the purchase of an IP seems a bit out of line... but hey, if people wanted to give them money for it. As long as they were upfront about what they were doing with the money. It's moot now.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:38 Verno

Darks wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:24:
Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:21:
Fucking bummer, I hope it wasn't some shit house IP holding company or (god help us) EA.

You didnít seriously for one min really think this IP would go unsold did you? If so you were only fooling yourself

No, quite obviously I was hoping the teamPixel kickstarter would get it first. *shakes head*

I will assume the worst, that some company bought the Homeworld IP just to sit on it for five years then make a FPS that is somewhat Homeworld related.

Yeah, I will just be super pessimistic about this and any good news will just be a pleasant surprise

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

3. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:29 MoreLuckThanSkill

Well, I'm a little glad teamPixel was unable to buy the Homeworld IP. They were misusing Kickstarter in my opinion, as funding to buy an existing IP. Hopefully the refund process goes smoothly for the people they convinced.

I will assume the worst, that some company bought the Homeworld IP just to sit on it for five years then make a FPS that is somewhat Homeworld related.

2. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:24 Darks

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:21:
Fucking bummer, I hope it wasn't some shit house IP holding company or (god help us) EA.

You didnít seriously for one min really think this IP would go unsold did you? If so you were only fooling yourself.

And yea, I hope some lame ass didnt buy it up either.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

1. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 09:21 Verno

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo