Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 10:51 Verno

Haha what? The kids didn't just grow up and everyone else stopped using computers magically. Also kids aren't inherently better at tech despite growing up with it, most people still specialize in their chosen careers. They are better at seeking out information since they're conditioned for it but that doesn't automatically translate into knowledge. User interfaces are a whole different beast anyway, most people get annoyed at them and give up, they don't even attempt to customize.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 20, 2013, 13:09 HorrorScope

Jivaro wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:46:
Kawlisse wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:07:
It is so easy do disable Metro,

go in regedit

That is great stuff there for an enthusiast, but what MS has done has driven off the casual/average user. Those folks won't go looking for a regedit fix,

I think we need to stop thinking some of us are that far ahead anymore. That fix is simple and kids have now grown up on tech. All it takes is google. "I don't like metro how do I get rid of it". It's harder reading how to make mac n cheese.

42. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2013, 04:52 Julio

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 19:17:
Just to add to this cluster.... i'm happy with my win8 install.

So a few people like Win8, a lot won't ever accept it as their O/S. Which generally represents the problem for Microsoft. Unless they want to get out of the Windows market

41. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 20:53 Redmask

Enahs wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:09:
But also look at this thread. You have people complaining about the lack of innovation from Microsoft, and how that will be its downfall. You have the people, who as soon as Microsoft changes something, the same people complaining about lack of innovation, complain because it is different!

No, you totally miss the point. People don't just want change or innovation that is good for microsoft, if they're giving up the old then the new better be worth it. When the new is a half cocked copy paste of competitor interfaces then people rightfully criticize the attempt to hardsell them the same thing with a new coat of paint. A 'better' start menu and an app system that is mainly microsoft playing catch up doesn't exactly get my juices flowing to run out and upgrade. Also I don't see any evidence that Windows 8 is pacing Windows 7, Microsoft is eerily quiet about the sales numbers now that the $15 bonanza is over.

40. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 19:17 dj LiTh

Just to add to this cluster.... i'm happy with my win8 install.  

39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 19:04 SirKnight

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:23:
PC Manufacturers Say Windows 8 Has Driven Millions To Become Apple Users.

Man I knew it was bad with casual users but that bad? Wow. Ironically most of the enthusiasts seem to have stayed with Windows 7 or figured out how to disable Dumbtro and made peace with Windows 8. I guess casual users just didn't find it very desirable, certainly not enough to stop seeking the Apple brand.

go in regedit

go to : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Double-click the key labeled: RPEnabled

then change the value from 1 to 0

and voila !!!

Dont even know why so many people are bitching about windows 8 its the same freaking os than windows 7 (when you reg edit Metro)

That doesn't even work any more. That was ONLY for the developer version a year or more ago.

38. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 18:58 NegaDeath

Enahs wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:09:
But it is selling, so it is successful enough for now...

Microsoft has refused to release Windows 8 sales figures for the last two quarters so you can't say that with any certainty. Usage data has 8 trailing behind even the craptacular Vista launch, let alone 7's.

You mix complaints about change with complaints about negative change. The majority that I've seen fall under the latter. You disagree with the complaints but you don't represent the market.

37. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 18:58 SirKnight

BitWraith wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:31:
The "Magic Mouse" is trash, and all the scroll bars are tied to it (they disappear when you stop moving your finger on it). The scroll bars also cover files on the sides and bottom. Also, just putting your hand on the thing causes all kinds of mayhem. You can disable the swipe functions, but that breaks some basic navigation.

You can easily keep the scroll bars turned on in the settings so they don't disappear. Also, I don't know what kind of crazy stuff your hand is doing, but my magic mouse never does bad things when my hand is on it. The mouse works just as good, if not better in some cases, than any other mouse.

I have no earthly idea where you get that the latest OSX is a complete mess. I'd much rather use OSX than Win8. And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy either. I use Windows, OSX and Linux the same.

What I've noticed time and time again, the OSX bashers/haters just simpley don't know how to use the OS worth a damn and also have little clue about UNIX. Thus, they bash/hate it. For me, it's no issue at all. I can do just as much on OSX as I can on Windows or Linux. But I'm a software engineer, so I don't just use a few programs and call it a day. I have to know quite a bit about how a particular system works.

36. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 18:09 Enahs

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:32:
Murden wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:06:
I have this cool way to disable metro. When it starts up. Click on the Desktop button.

I don't know why everyone's so upset about metro. Some of it I like, some of it I don't like. When I start up my computer its nice and simple to start up an app I use often, it's right there in front of me. If I need to use something suited to a more windows 7 atmosphere (like surfing the web, using the old interface with favorites bar) I simply click on the desktop button and I have it.

Everyone was happy with windows 7, and it really hasn't gone anywhere. They just added metro to it. Why the confusion? It's all there as it was.

IMO - Metros a step in the right direction, it just needs to be tweaked a bit.

Anyone who says it's confusing hasn't actually spent the time to see what it really is.

This article is a great answer to your question. Odds are if you are posting here you are an enthusiast, or at least technologically adept. The vast majority of people aren't. If something gets moved or changed you can find it, others can't. Removing the start button and the different control styles of the new start screen were enough to completely befuddle people. The lack of any meaningful tutorial only compounded the problem. Hell I have fellow employees that struggle just with using outlook. Throwing metro at them would be like throwing them in the ocean without a life preserver.

Yes.
But also look at this thread. You have people complaining about the lack of innovation from Microsoft, and how that will be its downfall. You have the people, who as soon as Microsoft changes something, the same people complaining about lack of innovation, complain because it is different!

It is impossible for them to "win" on discussion on the internets because the most vocal people want them to innovate while keeping everything exactly the same...

But, they are still selling the OS. I gave it a fair chance and I enjoy it.

Does it matter if they are selling as fast as Win 7? If it is still selling at a decent rate (which it is), then it is a win for them. A fail for them is not internet tech reporters complaining and bitching, or praising, just to get traffic to their websites.

People play with it at BestBuy and the like, and they buy it or they don't.

But it is selling, so it is successful enough for now...

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

35. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 18:08 dj LiTh

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:23:
PC Manufacturers Say Windows 8 Has Driven Millions To Become Apple Users.

Man I knew it was bad with casual users but that bad? Wow. Ironically most of the enthusiasts seem to have stayed with Windows 7 or figured out how to disable Dumbtro and made peace with Windows 8. I guess casual users just didn't find it very desirable, certainly not enough to stop seeking the Apple brand.

go in regedit

go to : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Double-click the key labeled: RPEnabled

then change the value from 1 to 0

and voila !!!

Dont even know why so many people are bitching about windows 8 its the same freaking os than windows 7 (when you reg edit Metro)

That only worked on the dev preview, not the RTM

34. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 17:59 Redmask

BitWraith wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:31:
Yes my frame rates improved greatly as soon as I installed Windows 8. Maybe it was the new driver, but I doubt seriously that Nvidia had their crap that together when 8 launched. I'm running a GTS 450 - not exactly top of the line folks. Most likely the OS taxing my other hardware less which is compensating for my crappy video card.

You didn't even say what games. Feel free to link some results backing that up, otherwise it's just a meaningless anecdote that somehow controverts most benchmarks by professionals.

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 17:45 Mr. Tact

Hell, even as someone who's owned a computer since 1991 and made a living on them since 1988 I barely keep up. Just now my home PC booted (Win7 Pro) and I immediately noticed not all my normal start-up applications launched. After looking around some and attempting a couple of things I decided to just reboot -- on the shutdown windows couldn't shutdown explorer.exe -- OY. Fortunately, it seems to have rebooted normally, but I have absolutely no idea what happened.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:40 Draugr

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:49:

Windows8 adoption rate is still tracking close to what Windows7 achieved in the early days. There has been a decline once the promotional ($30-40) period was over, but that was expected.

I thought that was total licenses and that OEM numbers were way down which tracks with the OEM market in general experiencing slowdown for many factors, of which its hard to argue Windows 8 isn't one.

It's spin, the adoption rate is like more like vista, not 7.

Edit: Dated article on the subject, so maybe things have improved in the last month or two, but I doubt it.
Article
Yay graphs!

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2013, 17:01.

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:32 NegaDeath

Murden wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:06:
I have this cool way to disable metro. When it starts up. Click on the Desktop button.

I don't know why everyone's so upset about metro. Some of it I like, some of it I don't like. When I start up my computer its nice and simple to start up an app I use often, it's right there in front of me. If I need to use something suited to a more windows 7 atmosphere (like surfing the web, using the old interface with favorites bar) I simply click on the desktop button and I have it.

Everyone was happy with windows 7, and it really hasn't gone anywhere. They just added metro to it. Why the confusion? It's all there as it was.

Anyone who says it's confusing hasn't actually spent the time to see what it really is.

This article is a great answer to your question. Odds are if you are posting here you are an enthusiast, or at least technologically adept. The vast majority of people aren't. If something gets moved or changed you can find it, others can't. Removing the start button and the different control styles of the new start screen were enough to completely befuddle people. The lack of any meaningful tutorial only compounded the problem. Hell I have fellow employees that struggle just with using outlook. Throwing metro at them would be like throwing them in the ocean without a life preserver.

30. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:31 BitWraith

nin wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:49:

These [Windows 8] stories are so full of it. When Vista was released, all the nerds fell all over themselves on the internet bitching about how terrible it was. So, Microsoft reboxes it and sells it as Windows 7, and all of a sudden everyone loves it.

I bought Vista - thought it was a little clunky at first, but it was OK. I bought Windows 7 and thought "this is the exact same thing. It's just as clunky."

Quite the revisionist history. If you can't tell the difference between vista and 7, you might want to get your eyes checked.

I still have Windows 7 on my PC downstairs. It still takes longer to calculate how long it will take to empty the trash than it does to actually empty the trash - same with copying files. Same as Vista.

Yes my frame rates improved greatly as soon as I installed Windows 8. Maybe it was the new driver, but I doubt seriously that Nvidia had their crap that together when 8 launched. I'm running a GTS 450 - not exactly top of the line folks. Most likely the OS taxing my other hardware less which is compensating for my crappy video card.

No I don't work for Microsoft. I do take the time to use something before snapping to a judgement. I can access my applications much faster now using Metro than I could using the Start menu. Sorry that doesn't fit the stereotype anti Windows 8 people want to be true.

I work on a Mac (graphic designer). Anyone who dumps Windows and goes for a Mac will be pleasantly surprised to find it's a complete mess (as of version 10.7.5). The "Magic Mouse" is trash, and all the scroll bars are tied to it (they disappear when you stop moving your finger on it). The scroll bars also cover files on the sides and bottom. Also, just putting your hand on the thing causes all kinds of mayhem. You can disable the swipe functions, but that breaks some basic navigation.

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:17 Julio

It may be too early to say we've got lots of switching to Apple, but I can see it happening if Windows 9 doesn't go back to what makes Windows 7 great. Like a lot of people, I upgraded just before Win 8 came out so I can avoid it.

Vista was much worse than Win7, not the same at all.

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:06 Murden

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 16:02 Verno

I agree. So many dumb and clueless people keep 'blaming' it on MS. Again, it has nothing to do with MS! Sure, they were late to the game with tablet and phones with good usability, but that's nothing to blame. Apple just designed the next step in personal computing before anyone else. That's all it is. So please, enough with the blame on MS for lackluster pc sales. Gamers will still buy pcs for as long as game companies still support them, and they still support them on Windows 8.

I don't know, I think you can make a case for Microsofts repeated inability to innovate over the past 15 years as "their fault". Even on the business side of things they're often playing catch up and thriving on legacy products. There's this perception that people just hate Microsoft, I don't know maybe some people do but I don't. I want Microsoft to succeed because the alternative is shitty for my usage needs. The trouble is that they aren't really giving people a reason to upgrade and software demands have long since caught up with hardware. The traditional strengths of the Windows platform that kept people upgrading were desktop applications and games, people don't see much performance benefit in either from a new version of Windows anymore.

Apple is competing on features, not really performance. Microsoft has to do the same and they need new features, not just feature parity with what Apple had a year ago. It's a shame they went Xbox instead of keeping PC gaming tied into their ecosystem more closely, I'm not sure what they gained was worth what they lost. The console industry is huge but its also split up between three competitors and look at what Steam has to itself now.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 19, 2013, 15:58 Jivaro

noman wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 15:33:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:46:
That is great stuff there for an enthusiast, but what MS has done has driven off the casual/average user. Those folks won't go looking for a regedit fix, won't do a regedit fix, and in most cases don't feel like they should have to do a regedit fix. Then they will ask you just what the hell regedit is.

Casual users will find start screen better suited to launch desktop applications than the old start menu. The start screen button pops up at exactly the same location where start menu used to be. There's very little learning curve there, if any.

The metro-apps though will throw a curve ball, mostly in terms of learning the search/print/settings options in the charms menu, but that's a different issue. The start-screen itself is just a better start menu.

Most casual users would have a bunch of desktop icons any way (from installing applications), and will not use start menu or start screen in the first place.

It's incredible how much the lack of start-menu has been mourned by some, when it was one of the most useless parts of the OS, at least in the way it was designed.

The point of the article is that, at least according to some the hardware manufacturers, the casual/average user is *not* finding Win 8 better suited to anything and are thus leaving to something else they do find familiar. While your opinion may be that the casual/average user should find it easier than the start menu, the article seems to indicate that this is not the case. Sales have been weak, the manufacturers are complaining, and Apple continues to increase it's own PC sales despite changing virtually nothing about the products.

Heck, you may even be right...it might very well be easier in some sense. I myself tend to agree that Win 8 is pretty damn easy to use, but that point is irrelevant to the larger problem. People don't like different. It looks different, they go find something that looks familiar. I am not sure why people keep argueing over whether Windows 8 is a "good" OS, or if the start menu being gone is a "good" thing. It is irrelevant. The mainstream (and more importantly the business sector) seems to be saying they don't like it and, at least according to this article and various others that have been popping up over the last 6 months, the manufacturers that provide Windows hardware are starting to get even more anxious than they were when Stevie B and crew first started pushing it.

Again, as enthusiasts, I don't see how any of us could possibly be surprised by any of this. Look at the Windows Phone. You could make a strong case that the mobile OS is strong and easy to use. It is however pretty different in appearance to just about everything else out there. People who used Palm back in the day could easily transition to iOS or Android. People who use iOS can transition to Android. Android transitions iOS easily. People can stay loyal or bounce from OS to OS and it doesn't matter. But then we have the Windows Phone...and it's tiles...and people take one look and say "damn, that's weird"..and without even bothering to give it a shot, they move on to something else more familiar. Blackberry is facing the same problem. People who use them don't like it when they change stuff and once they go use something else they don't come back because the competition is easy to use and transitions easily. My mother can use a iOS phone without getting instructions from anyone even though she has owned an Android phone for the last 3 years. Believe me, if you knew my mother and her technophobia you would understand just how big of a statement that is.

The same thing is happening here that has been happening to MS on the phones. Given the choice the mainstream is either staying with what they know (Windows 7/Vista) or going to Apple rather than learning something new....and it was so entirely predictable I am seriously at a loss for why anyone would be surprised or feel a need to defend it.

I disagree with this concept that MS is blameless. They have seen the success of others and instead of building on it they have tried to present the exact same results with a visually and functionally different UI. They made that choice, the results are on them. I do agree that articles that don't specify numbers or sources specifically are ultimately not very useful however.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2013, 16:36.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo