Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, we've certainly been getting our share of the joys of home ownership lately, as our furnace seems to have stopped working. We're not sure what's wrong (I've expended my own meager ability to troubleshoot this), so we have the plumber coming to look at it on Monday. The good news is that this waited until the weather turned, so at least we're not freezing as a result of this.

R.I.P.: Pink Floyd album designer Storm Thorgerson dies. Thanks Acleacius.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: War Zomb Avatar.
Links: Why Superman is still interesting on his 75th birthday. Not sure I agree with the premise.
Thanks to Arduino, man knows that 37,112 impressions wear out a LEGO brick.
Stories: Michael Jordan was poisoned before 'flu game,' trainer says.
Science: Ammonium nitrate fertilizer isn't really a dangerous explosive (most of the time) (was invented for bombs).
Moore's Law predicts life originated billions of years before Earth.
Why Marriage Is Good for Your Health Until You Get Sick.
Media: Harrison Ford Won't Answer Star Wars Questions.
What happens when you wring out a washcloth in space.
Kitty Om Nom Vacuum Cleaner. I dare you to keep a straight face.
The Funnies: Navigating the Maze Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

23. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 16:19 Julio

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:10:
Word is they are Chechen, but Wahhabi muslims. Big surprise there.

Agreed - we could see that coming. Islam the religion of peace my ass.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 16:07 Jivaro

If she is married to an American citizen, why can't she get at least residency? (which would get rid of the 365 day rule) My second wife was able to get that in 6 months. Denmark was her home country, is it something specifically to do with Ireland?  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 16:03 xXBatmanXx

Word is they are Chechen, but Wahhabi muslims. Big surprise there. It boggles the mind that it's near impossible for me to immigrate to the US. Yet, they seem to have a never ending supply of green cards for scumbags from shitholes all over the globe. And that really pisses me off seeing as my ancestors got here in the beginning of the 1700s and I do have distant relations in the US - in Mass. at that! I have skills the US needs. I know the language, the culture, the customs, the history, and already have plenty of friends throughout. Scored 86% on the citizenship exam. So why is it so difficult then? I guess if they're going to naturalize the illegals I won't need to immigrate, will I? Just cross over illegally and apply. Then again so will 100 million other people and who'll want to be in the US then?

Have a very close friend of mine who is a cop who has an Irish wife sho can't get citizenship....she has to go back every yar (364 day rule) and can't get work here in Minnesota. It makes me want to (insert really outrageous anti government action)......

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 15:22 Creston

That washcloth in space thing was so awesome. I'd guessed the water would form into small globules and just sort of get flung everywhere. I'd have never guessed at what really happens. Cool cool cool.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 15:00 jdreyer

Word is they are Chechen, but Wahhabi muslims. Big surprise there. It boggles the mind that it's near impossible for me to immigrate to the US. Yet, they seem to have a never ending supply of green cards for scumbags from shitholes all over the globe. And that really pisses me off seeing as my ancestors got here in the beginning of the 1700s and I do have distant relations in the US - in Mass. at that! I have skills the US needs. I know the language, the culture, the customs, the history, and already have plenty of friends throughout. Scored 86% on the citizenship exam. So why is it so difficult then? I guess if they're going to naturalize the illegals I won't need to immigrate, will I? Just cross over illegally and apply. Then again so will 100 million other people and who'll want to be in the US then?

Cutter, the Canadians bombed the Baldwins. That's why you can't come in.

On a more serious note, it's all about lottery. And I'm sure you've got A LOT of competition for the Canadian slots.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 13:03 Mr. Tact

The US isn't the only place that's hard to legally. permanently, immigrate to. Specifically I know it's tough to get into Australia, and I seem to remember some EU countries are pretty tough too, but don't recall specifics at the moment.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 13:03 Creston

It boggles the mind that it's near impossible for me to immigrate to the US.

I'm a bit surprised you want to move to the US, since you are obviously not its biggest fan, but why are you unable to do so? (I mean, what reasons are they giving for turning you down?)

Creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 12:52 Verno

Plenty of normal people immigrate to the US every day, often under conditions of duress and strife in their home country. The whole system isn't meant to be judged by 2 idiots who took advantage. As for green cards vs citizenship, there's so much involved I would barely know where to start. Immigration reform is on the table right now but its an uphill battle getting a 2 party solution.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2013, 14:25.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

15. removed Apr 19, 2013, 12:49 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 19, 2013, 14:13.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 12:48 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:34:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:26:
Some of those detention slips are priceless. I love the girl who screams "I volunteer as tribute!"
The letter from the teacher saying the student should accept her teaching even though she admits she was wrong is fantastic.

I would have loved to be the parent answering that one. I would sit down after dinner and take my time relishing every word in response, just excoriating that idiot in a letter CC'd to the whole staff there. Yes let's teach our kids to just blindly accept everything and that people who are wrong shouldn't have to admit it. I had teachers who got confused and got things wrong in the classroom before, they managed to admit it and retain authority by making light of themselves a bit.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 12:25 Bodolza

That's unique. I don't hear many xenophobic rants from people who want to immigrate to the US.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 12:10 Cutter

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 11:34 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:26:
Some of those detention slips are priceless. I love the girl who screams "I volunteer as tribute!"
The letter from the teacher saying the student should accept her teaching even though she admits she was wrong is fantastic.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 11:03:
Yep. Definitely been a wild night in Boston. Here is a raw video on youtube of one of the encounters. The amount of gun fire makes it sound like a war zone.

People are such idiots. The other video link in that same screen the person who is about 100 feet away BEHIND the Mercedes and most likely in the line of fire "omg those are real guns".

People are idiots, and Darwin proves that.

One could argue that if that person shooting the video FROM BEHIND THE BAD GUYS, owned even something as simple as a deer rifle or slugged shotty, game over for bad guys.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 Cutter

Eador: Masters of the Broken World unlocks on Steam today. Anyone play the beta? Is it worth the purchase? Any idea if they're putting out a demo? It's only 20 clams, but so was Warlock and that was a waste of money.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 11:26 Cutter

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 11:03 Mr. Tact

Yep. Definitely been a wild night in Boston. Here is a raw video on youtube of one of the encounters. The amount of gun fire makes it sound like a war zone.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 10:59 The Half Elf

Anyone watching the news out of Boston this morning?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 10:48 nin

Well, we've certainly been getting our share of the joys of home ownership lately, as our furnace seems to have stopped working. We're not sure what's wrong (I've expended my own meager ability to troubleshoot this), so we have the plumber coming to look at it on Monday.

You put chicken bones in the furnace, didn't you Blue?!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 09:41 Verno

Many guys in the trades do crossover work. Err that sounded..nevermind.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo