Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, we've certainly been getting our share of the joys of home ownership lately, as our furnace seems to have stopped working. We're not sure what's wrong (I've expended my own meager ability to troubleshoot this), so we have the plumber coming to look at it on Monday. The good news is that this waited until the weather turned, so at least we're not freezing as a result of this.

R.I.P.: Pink Floyd album designer Storm Thorgerson dies. Thanks Acleacius.

Cold Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: War Zomb Avatar.
Links: Why Superman is still interesting on his 75th birthday. Not sure I agree with the premise.
Thanks to Arduino, man knows that 37,112 impressions wear out a LEGO brick.
Stories: Michael Jordan was poisoned before 'flu game,' trainer says.
Science: Ammonium nitrate fertilizer isn't really a dangerous explosive (most of the time) (was invented for bombs).
Moore's Law predicts life originated billions of years before Earth.
Why Marriage Is Good for Your Health Until You Get Sick.
Media: Harrison Ford Won't Answer Star Wars Questions.
What happens when you wring out a washcloth in space.
Kitty Om Nom Vacuum Cleaner. I dare you to keep a straight face.
The Funnies: Navigating the Maze Cartoon - Savage Chickens.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Owning a home? Apr 20, 2013, 21:29 Ant

Blue, when did you own a home?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 21:23 Redmask

Most plumbers aren't actually qualified to install a furnace, very few are certified in HVAC. If you can find one great, many people can't.  

41. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 20:29 xXBatmanXx

crypto wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 15:47:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 09:27:
crypto wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 08:08:
Blue wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 09:19:
A plumber?

Yeah, a plumbing and heating guy. As opposed to?

Actually, you should call an electrician. unless you ran out of gas or your vents are clogged a plumbing/heating guy would take a long time figuring out the problem... if ever. The furnace itself is operated and controlled by motors, relays and switches which electricians are trained to work with and have all the troubleshooting experience... not to mention a volt meter

If you work on a furnace, you have all of that, and you know how to fix it top to bottom.....it isn't like a tire guy working on the engine...
What do you mean "work on a furnace"? the plumber runs the gas line the heating guy runs the vents and drops the furnace where it has to go. The manufacturer sets the limits and usually don't need to be changed. A electrician hooks up the power, thermostats ect.. Outside of furnaces Electricians also install electric motors, switches, relays... all of which are out of the scope of work for plumbers and tin bashers and those are the parts that go 90% of the time. But go ahead, call whoever you want... one time my car wouldn't start, the tow truck driver I called had a look and found the alternator lead had come loose, so anything is possible.

Well, considering I JUST HAD A NEW FURNACE PUT IN, yea, I probably don't know what I am talking about....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

40. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 18:41 Sepharo

Julio wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 06:50:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:20:
Julio wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 04:49:
Add in the fact they are Islamic extremists...

This one didn't get a number because you made it up right?

Link below, there's plenty of proof the bombers were Islamic.

Yep, it's a known fact that they were Muslims.

Julio wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 06:50:
Also mentions out there they were extremists (if you don't think bombing innocent civilians is an extreme act...I can't help you there). You guys can google facts for yourselves too

I kind of figured you would go into a, "they're Islamic and committed an extreme act therefore they're Islamic extremists" line of logic but that's not how the designation is typically applied. By that reasoning, "Christian extremist" would cover a majority of the America's most extreme criminals.

But having said that, I must admit now that you are correct. Initially the only thing said about it was the mother's claims of prior FBI investigation but she also claimed the whole thing was a setup. Now I see that much more information has been released concerning the gradual radicalization of the older brother. A good summary of the facts can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzhokhar_and_Tamerlan_Tsarnaev

I'm still curious to know whether he hatched this on his own or if he planned with extremists online or in his travels to Russia. If you want to go the conspiracy route, he was played by the Russians so that he would commit a terrorist act against the United States so that Russia could crack down on Chechnya without too much complaining from the U.S.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 15:47 crypto

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 09:27:
A plumber?

Actually, you should call an electrician. unless you ran out of gas or your vents are clogged a plumbing/heating guy would take a long time figuring out the problem... if ever. The furnace itself is operated and controlled by motors, relays and switches which electricians are trained to work with and have all the troubleshooting experience... not to mention a volt meter

If you work on a furnace, you have all of that, and you know how to fix it top to bottom.....it isn't like a tire guy working on the engine...
What do you mean "work on a furnace"? the plumber runs the gas line the heating guy runs the vents and drops the furnace where it has to go. The manufacturer sets the limits and usually don't need to be changed. A electrician hooks up the power, thermostats ect.. Outside of furnaces Electricians also install electric motors, switches, relays... all of which are out of the scope of work for plumbers and tin bashers and those are the parts that go 90% of the time. But go ahead, call whoever you want... one time my car wouldn't start, the tow truck driver I called had a look and found the alternator lead had come loose, so anything is possible.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 14:04 Jivaro

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 07:33:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:07:
If she is married to an American citizen, why can't she get at least residency? (which would get rid of the 365 day rule) My second wife was able to get that in 6 months. Denmark was her home country, is it something specifically to do with Ireland?

Yes.

Ah. Damn.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 09:27 xXBatmanXx

A plumber?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 08:08 crypto

A plumber?

35. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 07:33 xXBatmanXx

Jivaro wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:07:
If she is married to an American citizen, why can't she get at least residency? (which would get rid of the 365 day rule) My second wife was able to get that in 6 months. Denmark was her home country, is it something specifically to do with Ireland?

Yes.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 06:57 netnerd85

Julio wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 06:46:
netnerd85 wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 04:53:
Ahuh, proof? And can you define that for me. All friends and family say polar opposite.

Here's a quote from the mother of one of the bombers:
"The FBI was afraid of my eldest son because he was a leader, could stand up for himself, and talked about Islam a lot. Once they officially called me and told me that they don't doubt his decency. But at the same time they said he gets information from extremists' sites and that they are very afraid of him."
[url=]http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-suspects-no-links/index.html[/url]

You can google yourself where his uncle says the dead bomber deserved to die for what he did.
He was interviewed by the FBI and let go, she said that too.

Obviously anyone who commits a crime deserves to pay for that crime, an eye for an eye bullshit is not the way though. Forcing people to live their lives without freedom is a far worse punishment.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 06:50 Julio

Sepharo wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 05:20:

It didn't get a number, because just because someone is an islamic extremist doesn't mean they did the bombing. But it adds to the case.

Link below, there's plenty of proof the bombers were Islamic. Also mentions out there they were extremists (if you don't think bombing innocent civilians is an extreme act...I can't help you there). You guys can google facts for yourselves too

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 06:46 Julio

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 04:53:
Ahuh, proof? And can you define that for me. All friends and family say polar opposite.

Here's a quote from the mother of one of the bombers:
"The FBI was afraid of my eldest son because he was a leader, could stand up for himself, and talked about Islam a lot. Once they officially called me and told me that they don't doubt his decency. But at the same time they said he gets information from extremists' sites and that they are very afraid of him."
[url=]http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-suspects-no-links/index.html[/url]

You can google yourself where his uncle says the dead bomber deserved to die for what he did.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 05:20 Sepharo

30. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 04:53 netnerd85

Ahuh, proof? And can you define that for me.

All friends and family say polar opposite.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 04:49 Julio

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 03:23:
No need for evidence in America, trial by well trained media. "Suspect" equal to guilty?

The trial hasn't happened yet, so there's not a lot of need for much proof but here's what we know so far for evidence:
1) There is photo and video evidence showing these two idiots leaving identical bags on the ground to what the bombs were in, in the locations whether the bombs were.
2) An eyewitness has identified one of the brothers dropped the bag with the bomb that went off right behind him.
3) They found more bombs in their residence
4) When confronted, they fought the police with bombs and guns

So if the second terrorist lives (which I hope not, unless they cut off his arms & legs) he's looking guilty.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2013, 03:23 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:53:
1badmf wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:38:
the way i understand it, the two bombers' families immigrated based on a request for asylum - they came back when chechnya and that whole region was in flames trying to break away from mother russia. BIG difference from just immigrating for economic reasons. the fact that they resorted to this nonsense isn't Immigration's fault - they were 8 and 15 at the time, and the rest of their family has been well behaved.

Then how do you explain how the kids turned out? Whenever you see a fucked up kid the parents have to shoulder at least some of that blame.
No need for evidence in America, trial by well trained media. "Suspect" equal to guilty?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 18:57 Creston

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 16:54:
I haven't been turned down because I haven't applied...yet. However, I know a ton of people who have and none have been accepted - unless going the marriage route.

Admittedly that's how I got in, however I was also basically through the process to receive a work Visa at the time, but this was right around the turn of the century when they were dying for experienced IT people, so it may have changed a lot.

Being from Holland, the only immigration "law" that I've been used to was "You want to move here? Sure! Come on in! Here, have a house and $2000 a month on the government, courtesy of the Dutch taxpayer!" so it's actually surprising to see a country be a little more smart and diligent about it.

That said, they really need to put some sense in the process. When I first moved here, my wife had to sign an Affidavit of Support that stated that until I had worked 13 quarters (ie 3 years and 3 months), I was not eligible for Social Security. This was in an effort to stop me from abusing the system... I came from Holland, fellas. If I wanted to sit on my ass and collect Social Security, I'd have never fucking left Holland.

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 18:53 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 18:38:
the way i understand it, the two bombers' families immigrated based on a request for asylum - they came back when chechnya and that whole region was in flames trying to break away from mother russia. BIG difference from just immigrating for economic reasons. the fact that they resorted to this nonsense isn't Immigration's fault - they were 8 and 15 at the time, and the rest of their family has been well behaved.

Then how do you explain how the kids turned out? Whenever you see a fucked up kid the parents have to shoulder at least some of that blame.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 18:38 1badmf

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2013, 16:54 Cutter

Creston wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 13:03:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 12:10:
It boggles the mind that it's near impossible for me to immigrate to the US.

I'm a bit surprised you want to move to the US, since you are obviously not its biggest fan, but why are you unable to do so? (I mean, what reasons are they giving for turning you down?)

Creston

Just because there are policies I don't like in the US doesn't mean I wouldn't live there. Shit, there's plenty of stuff I don't like about Canada either. And that's true of how most everyone feels about their own country. Obviously I wouldn't be living in Alabama or the like, haha, but there are plenty of places in the US I've spent a lot of time in and enjoy the hell out. Given the size of the population, the culture, and the field I work in I'd have a ton more opportunities working there than here. Hell, same for Europe, though the language barrier exists.

I haven't been turned down because I haven't applied...yet. However, I know a ton of people who have and none have been accepted - unless going the marriage route. It just pisses me off given the common ancestry and history - there should be some sort of heritage rule exception that makes this stuff easier - we're each other's biggest trading partners, we have NAFTA, etc. and most of us already live on the frickin' boarder as it is. I just don't understand why it's so hard for people from first world nations to move around when they have zero problem opening the floodgates to people from second and third world countries who don't speak the language, get the culture, history, etc.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo