Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video

This video offers a developer walkthrough of Final Fantasy XIV, as Square Enix gears up for the upcoming A Realm Reborn release that they hope will remedy the initial disastrous launch of the MMORPG. The video runs a full two hours. For the record, that makes it one minute longer than Citizen Kane. Just saying.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 11:01 BitWraith

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 08:41:
I actually do like to do that once in awhile, it lends impression to a world space that is more than the character.

I do too for about the first week of a game's launch. It's hard to keep subscribers hooked with that past a free month - as has been demonstrated again and again with failed launches.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 08:41 Verno

I actually do like to do that once in awhile, it lends impression to a world space that is more than the character. Unfortunately FF14 never found a good balance for it and I'm just uninterested in their remake. I think it was a commendable but foolish idea to do this. It failed, move on.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

10. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 08:30 BitWraith

JeffD wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 01:47:
Meh, that was a horrid video. 2 hours of running around vacant citys and battle fields. I didn't see ANYTHING that would pull me into the game even for a few hours.
Yes. It looked, to me, exactly like the original release. Big, empty spaces with limited interactivity do not make a good game. MMO developers seem to think people want to roam around in huge, massive graphical spaces and just admire the art.

9. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 03:31 Nadool

The predecessor to this game is FFXI, not XIII or the -2. The online games have very little to do with the single player games aside from a few rare character appearances and the combat system. And Chocobos 14 Came out in 2010 less than a year after 13 but before XIII-2. I always wished they had simply called it FF Online, and kept it out of the number order but oh well.

This isn't a new game, they are basically tweaking it to be a lot more like FFXI with the old Job System and stuff like that. I never played XIV (cuz the class/role system was so stupid) but I played XI for years.

Calling this gameplay is really a joke I will say. It's an MMO, there should be more than one player on the screen. That said though, the graphics are a huge improvement over XI and I don't know of any MMOs that look this good graphically.

The fact they had one perspective, no HUD, GUI, NPC/player names (or other players for that matter), and no fighting at all is disappointing. There are a few other videos that show a party fighting boss type battles though.

8. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 01:47 JeffD

Meh, that was a horrid video. 2 hours of running around vacant citys and battle fields. I didn't see ANYTHING that would pull me into the game even for a few hours.  

7. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 00:58 Cram

Vid gets an upvote for the immediate Tina remix off the bat. And the FFVI intro homage.  

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 19, 2013, 00:11 HorrorScope

More idiots in charge. What fuckin game play? It's a small character running around in the world a little bit, nothing beyond that, not even the gui. Oh yeah that is going to get me excited to play this living abortion. Who sanctions this shit? Developer walk-through, pfff.  

5. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 19, 2013, 00:08 Rattlehead

Final Fantasy has the best class system of any RPG to this day, and FFXI put it to use in a spectacular way. Let's hope they stick to the traditional job system FFXI was known for, and not this generic archetype shit you had originally.  

4. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 18, 2013, 22:50 eRe4s3r

I assume they make this because it's predecessor sold enough.. which befuddles the mind.. people actually played FF13-2 enough to make it profitable?

Didn't Square Enix just a few days ago say they don't want to do big internal projects anymore? So what do they do.. make a game that looks nearly identical to FX13 with a few tweaks?

Mhh... I think i'd rather watch Citizen Kane. Have it on NAS so might as well get to it.

Also, that is by far the worst 2 hours of "game" showing ever. (Ok, I only skipped through it, with it having no english subtitles..)

3. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 18, 2013, 22:36 Redmask

It actually does look like a whole new game in many ways but I'm not convinced it's going to get people to subscribe. They had that niche with FF11 but after a bad launch I don't think there's any recovery for this. Too many F2P competitors and a fan base that has lost faith.  

2. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 18, 2013, 21:49 Cyanotetyphas

I assume they're just continuously begging you to like the game.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

1. Re: Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay Video Apr 18, 2013, 21:43 Fantaz

And no English translation...  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo