Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 09:01 Dev

jimnms wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 22:31:
Why do cell providers charge more for text messaging? It would cost me $4 a month more to add unlimited text to my plan. Without the unlimited plan, it's 20 cents per text, and I don't do enough texting to to make that $4/mo. cheaper.
Because its a HUGE moneymaker for them.

The end.

Seriously, thats why. Texts used to be free, when they started getting popular, they started charging to receive, then they started charging to send and receive. It started out at like 10 cents, then 20 cents then 25 cents.

Studies have been done that show their actual cost to the phone company is like 1/100th of a cent, or some such crazy low amount.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 08:35 Mr. Tact

Enahs wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 08:10:
On my Lumia 920, I swipe up to unlock it. I am given with the prompt to input my pass pin, or I can just hit a button to call 911.

So if I was in a situation, and I was unconscious, and my friend with me did not have a cell phone, they could still call 911 easily on my phone, even if they do not know how to use it, they just need to know how to read.
Cool. That is a well thought out feature. I don't have a pin on my phone, I'm tempted to put one on to see if this happens, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly and answer your question.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 08:10 Enahs

Spektr wrote on Apr 18, 2013, 06:14:
I don't know about Iphone but I can only lament that my galaxyS2 is not built around the basic function. Which is or rather should be phonecalls. Well making a phonecall requires a swype gesture answering one also. Then the absence of a physical button for that requires you to look at the screen. In a perfect world I would say that those two facts contribute to deter people from phoning while driving but it's not the case and it only contributes to making people who phone while driving more dangerous as they look at screen and have to use two hands to answer calls or make them.
On android when I got started, if the contacts was pushed to the groups tab it makes the phone tab disappear entirely. As a newcomer I didnt know where it went and for a few days I could only make phone calls from contact list.
My point? in an emergency situation when you are stressed out, are wounded, for a reason have only one hand available ( say your arm is in a cast or you are carrying something) or using someone else's phone. Smartphones are ridiculously hard to use to start with.

On my Lumia 920, I swipe up to unlock it. I am given with the prompt to input my pass pin, or I can just hit a button to call 911.

So if I was in a situation, and I was unconscious, and my friend with me did not have a cell phone, they could still call 911 easily on my phone, even if they do not know how to use it, they just need to know how to read.

Is it not that way for iPhone and many Androids?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 06:27 Fibrocyte

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 23:59:
Fion wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 21:59:
It's hard to make a phone call in an emergency because the brain draws blood from the hands to be used in more immediately important functions (survival.. etc). That's why the standard emergency services number was changed to 911 from 555-1212 as it was years ago. Nobody could dial the number. Hell, anyone who's been in an emergency knows it's difficult enough just to punch in that 911.

It helps to just dial it once a week or so without connecting. Just to train yourself to hit that 911. It apparently kicks in the muscle memory when the time comes for you to really dial it.

Creston

Not sure if serious...

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 06:14 Spektr

I don't know about Iphone but I can only lament that my galaxyS2 is not built around the basic function. Which is or rather should be phonecalls. Well making a phonecall requires a swype gesture answering one also. Then the absence of a physical button for that requires you to look at the screen. In a perfect world I would say that those two facts contribute to deter people from phoning while driving but it's not the case and it only contributes to making people who phone while driving more dangerous as they look at screen and have to use two hands to answer calls or make them.
On android when I got started, if the contacts was pushed to the groups tab it makes the phone tab disappear entirely. As a newcomer I didnt know where it went and for a few days I could only make phone calls from contact list.
My point? in an emergency situation when you are stressed out, are wounded, for a reason have only one hand available ( say your arm is in a cast or you are carrying something) or using someone else's phone. Smartphones are ridiculously hard to use to start with.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 18, 2013, 00:29 Prez

That was a really complicated and in depth explanation for "way too many calls going through a system of only finite handling capacity". I tried reading and absorbing it twice and both times my eyes started to glaze over. I am normally very technically and technologically minded but only with stuff I can generally make use of. If my brain deems it unimportant I hear "words, words, blah-blah, words, blah, words, yadda yadda yadda".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 23:59 Creston

Fion wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 21:59:
It's hard to make a phone call in an emergency because the brain draws blood from the hands to be used in more immediately important functions (survival.. etc). That's why the standard emergency services number was changed to 911 from 555-1212 as it was years ago. Nobody could dial the number. Hell, anyone who's been in an emergency knows it's difficult enough just to punch in that 911.

It helps to just dial it once a week or so without connecting. Just to train yourself to hit that 911. It apparently kicks in the muscle memory when the time comes for you to really dial it.

Creston

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 22:31 jimnms

I've heard that, when you're in a situation where lots of people are placing phone calls, it's often easier to get a text message through...
Yes. It's much better. The SMS messages have a relatively light footprint, first of all. The second thing is that they're asynchronous. If they can't get through this instant, they keep trying. If it gets over the radio to the cell site, it will get through.

Why do cell providers charge more for text messaging? It would cost me $4 a month more to add unlimited text to my plan. Without the unlimited plan, it's 20 cents per text, and I don't do enough texting to to make that $4/mo. cheaper.

Steam Profile

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 22:16 jdreyer

@ Fion, that's a good point, but the article was talking about the fact that no one could get through.

It's like Dev says, when everyone tries to use the exit at once, only a few can get through.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 21:59 Fion

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 17, 2013, 21:56 Dev

Because there's not enough cell capacity.
Hence why landline phones are still more reliable (assuming the infrastructure hasn't been destroyed).

Texting often still works, since it uses a diagnostic channel (hence the character limit), plus it keeps trying until it sends.

Basically, no one wants to pay for enough capacity to handle 100% of people talking. So they figure 5% (or whatever number they use).

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo