Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Greenlights 18 More Games

Steam News announces that a sixth set of titles has received the Steam Greenlight. The 20 new approvals include 18 games, which have varying release dates, and word is this program has greenlit over 90 titles to date. Here's the list of new games:

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 22:05 Dev

Bradley wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 18:08:
I still don't understand the whole point of this Green Light process. Why make unreleased games win some arbitrary popularity contest? It's not acting as a quality gateway since the games aren't released yet, and it isn't like unpopular games will consume a lot of resources.
Actually, many of the games on greenlight are released already, they just were refused by the normal steam process.

Anyway, why? Valve talked about it in the greenlight press release. I've talked about it in a number of threads about it.

Valve mostly only likes doing interesting and/or fun work (flat aka no management structure, wheels on desk). Approving games for steam tends to be neither since its mostly crap. Valve said in the press release they wanted to offload most of that work onto the community. They've even gone as far as saying they want that to be the only approval method to get new games from companies not on steam.

After a few tweaks to the process, seems like its working to get some decent games not yet on steam onto it. Both in progress games and already completed games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 20:24 Mad Max RW

Primordia and Waking Mars are amazing games released on Greenlight (as well as GOG). Get them now.  

17. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 20:02 PropheT

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 15:29:
It's about damn time Pinball Arcade made it through that broken Greenlight system. Have this on my Vita and very happy to buy it again on PC.

I didn't realize it was the same game; Pinball Arcade on Vita is awesome, probably my most played game on the device. I'd buy it again on PC, especially if it includes some of the extra tables like Medieval Madness.

16. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 19:45 Prez

killer_roach wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 19:04:
PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 18:26:
As a consumer I'd rather Steam not be inundated with shovelware.

That's about what Greenlight is doing for the most part, though

I don't see it that way. Greenlight has added a total of only 90 games to Steam, and a majority of those are looking to be quality titles. Please do NOT make Steam anythinng like the Android market.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 19:04 killer_roach

PHJF wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 18:26:

That's about what Greenlight is doing for the most part, though

14. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 18:26 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 18:08 Rattlehead

Fuck yea Shovel Knight! I can't wait. I hope Starbound gets greenlit.  

12. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 18:08 Bradley

I still don't understand the whole point of this Green Light process. Why make unreleased games win some arbitrary popularity contest? It's not acting as a quality gateway since the games aren't released yet, and it isn't like unpopular games will consume a lot of resources.

Steam should just start acting like the Android Market. Let anyone sign up their game and take a cut of the sales.

11. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 17:41 Yosemite Sam

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 15:29:
It's about damn time Pinball Arcade made it through that broken Greenlight system. Have this on my Vita and very happy to buy it again on PC.

I saw it on the PSN and was tempted but already have most of the tables in The Williams Collection and thought the add on tables were a bit pricy. Just noticed they have the ST:TNG table now, still not tempted enough, now if they add High Speed to the collection I might not be able to resist.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 16:38 Victor Grunn

So many of these just look damn, damn good. Legend of Dungeon and Hammerwatch are the ones that really have my eye. Frozen Endzone is a surprise, but a fun one.  
Gaming Trend Staff Writer: http://www.gamingtrend.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VictorGrunn
Amateur game dev: http://victorgrunn.newgrounds.com
Gtalk contact: Victorgrunn

9. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 15:35 gilly775

Awesome that Planet Explorers made it!  

8. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 15:29 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 15:15 pacefalm

Pinball arcade looks like something I'd be interested in. Sweet nostalgia.  

6. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 15:01 Verno

Cradle looks neat and Shovel Knight is a really promising throwback game.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

5. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 15:01 netnerd85

Cradle, Hrmmm, reminds me of Harvey Birdman... I can't take that bird seriously.  

4. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 14:32 Cutter

Oh hells yeah! I'm going to be all over Pinball Arcade like a Pinball Wizard!

Cradle looks interesting.

And if you want an idea of what the Unity engine can do check out City of Steam. It's a great little steampunk ARPG! The devs are good peeps!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

3. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 14:08 El Pit

Good to see Battle Worlds: Kronos on this lsit. Backed the kickstarter campaign.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

2. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 14:02 nin

Yea for Dead State! I don't recognize many of the others and I have to check at home and see what I voted for...

edit: Pinball Arcade looks good also!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Steam Greenlights 18 More Games Apr 17, 2013, 13:54 Parias

Nice! Glad to see Cradle made it (and that it's actually still in development).  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo