Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams

The Grumpy Gamer outlines thoughts on "If I Made Another Monkey Island..." from Ron Gilbert, who gives hypothetical thoughts on how a new installment in the adventure series would unfold if he was in charge of such a project. To be clear, this does not seem to be in danger of happening, as he reinforces by spending the first two entries on his 17 item agenda on making that point. But if he did get the chance, he says he would make an "enhanced low-res" hardcore adventure game on a rebuilt version of the SCUMM engine. He pictures a game with a box, dialog puzzles, no verbs(!), and a setting that pretends that all games after Monkey Island 2 do not exist. Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 15:22 saluk

As good as some of the games were after 2, they are kind of like fan fiction. I can see him wanting to go down his own path. Especially after that ENDING.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 13:22 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 11:44:
and a setting that pretends that all games after Monkey Island 2 do not exist

Ron Gilbert to Telltale Games: Fuck you.

Which is weird, because the Telltale Monkey Island series was pretty fun.

Creston
My thoughts exactly. That's just being harsh to TTG, and more than a bit odd since Gilbert worked on that game.

6. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 11:44 Creston

and a setting that pretends that all games after Monkey Island 2 do not exist

Ron Gilbert to Telltale Games: Fuck you.

Which is weird, because the Telltale Monkey Island series was pretty fun.

Creston

5. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 11:13 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 10:45:
Remake it, as it was remade what, 3 years ago?
And quite good. The new interface wasnt that a good idea, took a few minutes to adjust, but both remakes of MI1 and MI2 were well done. Had hopes LucasArts would return to this genre, showing what new and fresh game design talent might produce, but ... nothing happened.

4. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 10:45 Beamer

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 10:30:
Dear Ron,

remake the first one, in cinematic splendor glory, we will give you all the kickstarter funds necessary. You would have an audience spanning 4 generations. Then you can take your 8 billion dollar profit, and make a few new games on the side, perhaps opening jobs for hundreds of thousands of aspiring young developers. done? Why isn't it done yet? What did I say wrong? What's taking so long to answer me?

Remake it, as it was remade what, 3 years ago?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 10:30 Optional nickname

Dear Ron,

remake the first one, in cinematic splendor glory, we will give you all the kickstarter funds necessary. You would have an audience spanning 4 generations. Then you can take your 8 billion dollar profit, and make a few new games on the side, perhaps opening jobs for hundreds of thousands of aspiring young developers. done? Why isn't it done yet? What did I say wrong? What's taking so long to answer me?

2. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 10:26 Bopper

First Monkey Island I played was #3 so it is still my favorite due to nostalgia. Loved the other ones as well, though.  
- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

1. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 09:34 wtf_man

He's right.
All Monkey Islands after 2, do not exist.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo