Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 17, 2013, 21:35 HorrorScope

That Grandma at 90 could do it, damn it, I CAN TO!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 19:19 jdreyer

I defintely want to try before I buy, but it looks pretty awesome for flight sims and stuff. Also would be awesome for something like Skyrim, where twitch speed is less important.

Hopefully it's not too onerous to patch old games to work with it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 18:59 Tom

Long video but worth watching for those curious about the Rift. It starts to shed some light on the practical difficulties of combining head tracking with mouse input. Valve put some work into trying to solve it. It's nice that they gave the player these different modes to try, but none of them seemed like a real good solution. It was interesting to see that guy's reaction to the last mode which effectively disabled head tracking. Completely intolerable. As I suspected, once you've tasted the head tracking it could be difficult to go without it.

I need to try this thing myself. But at the moment, I still think it's going to be fantastic for vehicle sims and only so-so at best for FPS games.

3. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 14:49 mag

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 14:05:
I've noticed recently that I can no longer focus on objects closer than 12 inches away. The optometrist says that this is normal: the eye lens thickens as you age, so the focal length increases. I wonder if I'd even be able to use Oculus Rift, or if I'd have to use corrective lenses of some kind.

Your eye won't be focusing at the actual distance of the screen. There'll be lenses and such so that you're actually focusing quite a bit further away.

Edit: I mean, I'm assuming. I can't imagine that they're expecting people to focus at 5"...

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2013, 15:10.

2. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 14:40 nin

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 14:05:
I've noticed recently that I can no longer focus on objects closer than 12 inches away. The optometrist says that this is normal: the eye lens thickens as you age, so the focal length increases. I wonder if I'd even be able to use Oculus Rift, or if I'd have to use corrective lenses of some kind.

Huh! I didn't know that. I tried to read a cd label and seem to be able to do it pretty close, but I don't have a ruler at my desk...

I initially ignored the rift, as I didn't think it would catch on, but the more I see now, the cooler it looks. If the game support continues, I suspect I'll have to get one.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2013, 14:05 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo