Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Beware the ides of April, as it's tax deadline day here in the U.S. (except in Massachusetts where it's patriotic to pay your state taxes a day late, though federal returns are still due today). Today is also Jackie Robinson day in Major League Baseball, were teams will celebrate the civil rights pioneer by having all players wear Robinson's retired number 42, making Mariano Rivera the only player in the league who won't need a special uniform (his use of #42 was grandfathered when the number was retired).

R.I.P.: Nick Pollotta. Thanks TheCaretaker.
R.I.P.: Former US Rep. Charlie Wilson of Ohio dies at 70. Different Rep. Charlie Wilson.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ghost Hacker 2.
Links: Tax Day Freebies. Thanks HARDOCP.
HOWTO spin a toothbrush on your finger. Live the dream.
A real Myst book. Thanks reddit.
Stories: Financial crisis caused by too many bankers taking cocaine, says former drugs tsar.
Amazing dad builds son a spaceship simulator. Thanks HARDOCP.
Some states dropping GED as test price spikes.
Science: Implantable, bioengineered rat kidney. Yum.
Bordeaux estate to turn carbon emissions into toothpaste.
New F-1B rocket engine upgrades Apollo-era design with 1.8M lbs of thrust.
Gallery: Behind the scenes at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.
Media: Louis CK - Stupid Facebook Posts. NSFW.
Game Sack - Gaming on a Budget.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2013, 00:17 RollinThundr

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 14:10:
Your sarcasm is misplaced. If you have such a bleeding heart, get out there and do something about it or shut the fuck about how others should. I volunteer and donate to charities, do you? Yeah, it's easy to act all morally superior online when you have no clue what the fuck you are gibbering about.

This is what Beamer does, he assumes he knows how everyone's life went and then preaches to them about how unfair the world is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2013, 00:14 RollinThundr

Julio wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 19:26:
RollinThundr wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 18:37:
the US is the world's police for better or worse. Haven't seen Canada step up to the plate lately on well, anything now that I think of it.

Unfortunately, Canada has been 'stepping up to the plate' on US wars in Afghanistan and Libya. And what a waste of taxpayer dollars that has been.

I stand corrected, thanks for that. Again agreed, we had no business starting another war on top of two mistakes already.

65. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 18:09 Julio

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 08:05:
Stop and think about how stupid your first point is. What information could they possibly have received to get that kind of specificity?

According to CNN it was from video of someone with extra backpacks who was prevented from getting into restricted area.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 14:10 Agent.X7

wraithnix wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 00:29:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 21:19:
Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 13:14:
Oh noes, the GED is going computerized and now 21 year old mothers of three can't imagine passing because they may have to *gasp* use a computer to take the test!

Newsflash, bitch! If you can't use a computer at 21 in 2013, you would never have passed high school to begin with. Hence, you don't deserve to pass an equivalency test. Equivalent. Look it up. High school kids all know basic computer skills by the time they graduate. (Or should, anyway.) If you don't have those skills, you do not have the EQUIVALENT skills of a high school graduate and shouldn't be able to pass the damn test anyway.

Wow, dude. Way to show some compassion for someone in hard straights doing their best for self-improvement so they can be a working, productive member of society. And even while computers are cheap and widespread, getting connected to the internet can be a huge problem.

Yup.

Let's be honest, there are plenty of school systems out there without computer programs or, in some cases, solid access to computers for their students, period.

And plenty of students that don't have access to computers in their homes, anyway. It's not something you can expect everyone to have, either. I mean, hell, the government years ago tried making phones something everyone should expect by giving access to those that couldn't otherwise afford it and it's mocked by several people on this site, let alone in the rest of the internet (see: Obamaphone, a program that predates Obama and has nothing to do with him yet is still repeated by a handful of members here at least once a month.)
Until there's a program allowing those living below the poverty line to have computers, you can't really expect them to know how to use them. Sure, there are programs out there to teach computer literacy for free at unemployment centers, but rural areas often don't have, you know, unemployment centers.

My heart bleeds. Truly. I grew up in a rural farm town. We had computers IN THE 80S. My business is in a small town surrounded by farms. All 3 area schools have computers. My wife taught inner city kids in 2 states, all of the poor schools STILL HAD COMPUTERS. Maybe if people didn't completely ignore everyone telling them not to drop out of school, they wouldn't make this life altering, big time mistake. But they do. And I don't have sympathy. Life's hard. Suck it up and rectify your mistakes or not, but don't expect the world to cry for your self-inflicted misfortune.

And rural areas? The whiny woman in the story is from KC. If you read the story, she is where she is because she decided to get knocked up 3 times before she was 21. Sucks. To. Be. You.

And let's be honest, even with a GED you are pretty much screwed unless you go on to college. A place where you need to know how to use a PC.

<sarcasm>Yeah, make a mistake, make a few mistakes, and fuck you. You don't deserve anything but what you get. Trying to better yourself and being held back by poverty or, well, anything else? Fuck off. You don't deserve to be able to better yourself. You don't deserve anything. In fact, you SHOULD be held back. Can't afford a computer? Fuck you. Can't afford an Internet connection? Fuck you. Can't afford a car to get someplace with an Internet connection and a computer? Fuck you.</sarcasm>

I'm glad you lived in a rural area that had computers. There are many, many, MANY places in this country that are not so fortunate. Hell, if you drive an hour away from my house, there are places in the mountains where you can't get any kind of Internet connection, so being able to afford a computer (which, many of the people in those communities are too poor to do) wouldn't help. And don't tell me "they can move". If you can't afford a computer and an Internet connection, do you think that they can afford to move?

Jesus, man, have some compassion.

No. I grew up poor. Nobody gave me anything, I had to work for it. I hated high school with a passion, but I stuck it out and graduated. I put myself through school twice. I made mistakes, but I fixed them or didn't and moved on.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. If you have such a bleeding heart, get out there and do something about it or shut the fuck about how others should. I volunteer and donate to charities, do you? Yeah, it's easy to act all morally superior online when you have no clue what the fuck you are gibbering about.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

63. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 08:05 Beamer

Julio wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 06:55:
Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 18:33:
It's far too early to speculate, but why would you?
1) The vast majority of terrorist acts on US soil are done by white men. We're talking thousands to 1
2) Usually anyone of middle east origin is backed by a group, and no one has taken credit yet
3) Usually any one of middle east origin is trained, and these bombs were made by someone not trained in how to maximized damage. You can tell from the videos/photos that they could have been far worse. Bigger, or more loaded with shrapnel

Too early to speculate without seeming stupid, though. Could have been anyone. Nothing would surprise me. We just know it was some terrorist dipshit.

Now they are on the lookout for a "darker skinned or black male" with a foreign accent. So we'll see if the white terrorist theory pans out. Also the bombs have been reported to be loaded with shrapnel, as per your third point.

Stop and think about how stupid your first point is. What information could they possibly have received to get that kind of specificity?

They don't. They're interviewing everyone. Only idiot rags like The Post are claiming there is already a suspect, and they're marginally above Alex Jones claiming he's 100% certain it's an inside job.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

62. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 08:03 Beamer

wraithnix wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 00:29:
Oh noes, the GED is going computerized and now 21 year old mothers of three can't imagine passing because they may have to *gasp* use a computer to take the test!

Newsflash, bitch! If you can't use a computer at 21 in 2013, you would never have passed high school to begin with. Hence, you don't deserve to pass an equivalency test. Equivalent. Look it up. High school kids all know basic computer skills by the time they graduate. (Or should, anyway.) If you don't have those skills, you do not have the EQUIVALENT skills of a high school graduate and shouldn't be able to pass the damn test anyway.

Wow, dude. Way to show some compassion for someone in hard straights doing their best for self-improvement so they can be a working, productive member of society. And even while computers are cheap and widespread, getting connected to the internet can be a huge problem.

Yup.

Let's be honest, there are plenty of school systems out there without computer programs or, in some cases, solid access to computers for their students, period.

And plenty of students that don't have access to computers in their homes, anyway. It's not something you can expect everyone to have, either. I mean, hell, the government years ago tried making phones something everyone should expect by giving access to those that couldn't otherwise afford it and it's mocked by several people on this site, let alone in the rest of the internet (see: Obamaphone, a program that predates Obama and has nothing to do with him yet is still repeated by a handful of members here at least once a month.)
Until there's a program allowing those living below the poverty line to have computers, you can't really expect them to know how to use them. Sure, there are programs out there to teach computer literacy for free at unemployment centers, but rural areas often don't have, you know, unemployment centers.

My heart bleeds. Truly. I grew up in a rural farm town. We had computers IN THE 80S. My business is in a small town surrounded by farms. All 3 area schools have computers. My wife taught inner city kids in 2 states, all of the poor schools STILL HAD COMPUTERS. Maybe if people didn't completely ignore everyone telling them not to drop out of school, they wouldn't make this life altering, big time mistake. But they do. And I don't have sympathy. Life's hard. Suck it up and rectify your mistakes or not, but don't expect the world to cry for your self-inflicted misfortune.

And rural areas? The whiny woman in the story is from KC. If you read the story, she is where she is because she decided to get knocked up 3 times before she was 21. Sucks. To. Be. You.

And let's be honest, even with a GED you are pretty much screwed unless you go on to college. A place where you need to know how to use a PC.

<sarcasm>Yeah, make a mistake, make a few mistakes, and fuck you. You don't deserve anything but what you get. Trying to better yourself and being held back by poverty or, well, anything else? Fuck off. You don't deserve to be able to better yourself. You don't deserve anything. In fact, you SHOULD be held back. Can't afford a computer? Fuck you. Can't afford an Internet connection? Fuck you. Can't afford a car to get someplace with an Internet connection and a computer? Fuck you.</sarcasm>

I'm glad you lived in a rural area that had computers. There are many, many, MANY places in this country that are not so fortunate. Hell, if you drive an hour away from my house, there are places in the mountains where you can't get any kind of Internet connection, so being able to afford a computer (which, many of the people in those communities are too poor to do) wouldn't help. And don't tell me "they can move". If you can't afford a computer and an Internet connection, do you think that they can afford to move?

MY GAMES BETTER NOT BE ALWAYS-ON BUT YOU BETTER EXPECT ME TO HAVE COMPUTER SKILLS TO GET A GED FOR A JOB AS A SUBWAY SANDWICH ARTIST!

-------------

61. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 06:55 Julio

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 18:33:
It's far too early to speculate, but why would you?
1) The vast majority of terrorist acts on US soil are done by white men. We're talking thousands to 1
2) Usually anyone of middle east origin is backed by a group, and no one has taken credit yet
3) Usually any one of middle east origin is trained, and these bombs were made by someone not trained in how to maximized damage. You can tell from the videos/photos that they could have been far worse. Bigger, or more loaded with shrapnel

Too early to speculate without seeming stupid, though. Could have been anyone. Nothing would surprise me. We just know it was some terrorist dipshit.

Now they are on the lookout for a "darker skinned or black male" with a foreign accent. So we'll see if the white terrorist theory pans out. Also the bombs have been reported to be loaded with shrapnel, as per your third point.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 01:59 xXBatmanXx

Louis CK - Stupid Facebook Posts. NSFW.

All of them.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

59. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 00:29 wraithnix

Yup.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 00:25 xXBatmanXx

Your political spin is embarassing guys....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

57. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 23:54 Jivaro

Happy to hear your sister's ok Pig.

56. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 23:49 Prez

I know that feeling Pig. My dad worked in the north tower on 9/11, and I found it hard to breathe after seeing that building collapse. He had gone out on an errand about 20 minutes before the first plane hit and called us from the last ferry to Jersey City before the whole island was locked down. Very glad your family is okay dude.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 23:09 nin

Glad your sister's ok, Pig.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 23:06 WarPig

regardless of what it is the bomber was mad about or was attempting to accomplish, it is undeniable fact that those who were killed and injured today had NOTHING to do with it.

Well said Prez.

I learned about all of this when my mom called me at work in tears because my sister, who was there supporting a friend running the marathon (who crossed the finish line 5 minutes before the blasts), wasn't answering messages on her cell phone. My sister finally was able to email Mom that she was alright but believe me, I was worthless at work today after all this. I can't imagine what the families of victims are going through right now.

Fuck politics, this is bullshit.

GO SEAHAWKS!

53. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 21:32 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 18:36:
The why's always matter. And they matter even more in the critical moments. The worst thing you can do is react without thinking. I can already seeing this all unfolding over the next few weeks. It's a script we've all seen before.

There is no 'why' that will justify or even adequately explain the bombing of innocent people entirely unrelated. Using a tragedy to espouse personal political beliefs isn't exactly critical thinking either.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 21:19 Agent.X7

Yup.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

51. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 20:29 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 20:13:
Cutter wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 20:08:
Prez wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 19:20:
It has been a long time of uneasy quiet on the terrorism front - we all knew it was only a matter of time but it still is shockingly horrible to see the images coming out of Boston.

And I can guarantee that none of the runners, spectators, and security personnel (least of all the 8 year old child who died today) had anything to do with "American Imperialism", so how about we drop it.

My heart goes out to them, but it does have everything to do with that or it wouldn't be happening to begin with. This stuff doesn't occur in a vacuum.

We don't know that it has anything to do with that. It could be some ass against taxes, or that believes the stupid rumors that there's an ammo shortage due to the government, or that thinks the government is about to prevent abortions.

I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out to be the Mooninites.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 20:22 Prez

It has been a long time of uneasy quiet on the terrorism front - we all knew it was only a matter of time but it still is shockingly horrible to see the images coming out of Boston.

And I can guarantee that none of the runners, spectators, and security personnel (least of all the 8 year old child who died today) had anything to do with "American Imperialism", so how about we drop it.

My heart goes out to them, but it does have everything to do with that or it wouldn't be happening to begin with. This stuff doesn't occur in a vacuum.

Re-read what I wrote - regardless of what it is the bomber was mad about or was attempting to accomplish, it is undeniable fact that those who were killed and injured today had NOTHING to do with it. Imperialism, high taxes, wars in the middle east, et . are not "causes". The cause, as it is with all terrorism, is that some fanatic who was fucked in the head drew some sick moral equivalency between some perceived wrong perpetuated by a government body made up of clueless elitists in Washington D.C. (or elsewhere in the case of overseas terror) and the wanton murderer and agony of people who never did a single thing to the terrorist.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 20:13 Beamer

We don't know that it has anything to do with that. It could be some ass against taxes, or that believes the stupid rumors that there's an ammo shortage due to the government, or that thinks the government is about to prevent abortions.

-------------

48. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 20:08 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo