Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Starbound Preorders

The Starbound website is now accepting preorders for Starbound, saying this will help fund the completion of development of Chucklefish's upcoming indie adventure game (thanks NKD) This game from one of (the last two words were added for clarification) the folks behind Terraria was announced for release last summer, saying at the time they were "willing to take the extra time to get things JUST right," which has obviously come into play, but they their preorder program will accelerate the process:

Preordering the game will go directly towards funding development and get the game to you even faster.

The Starbound beta will be coming this year and preordering the game today will make sure you’re one of the first to get access when it’s available.

You also get 2 soundtracks, the Starbound Soundtrack and an Experimental Soundtrack. For a total of 66 tracks.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 15, 2013, 09:50 Verno

My 4 pack is full now, sorry fellas who sent PMs last night.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 15, 2013, 08:57 Dev

Narf2029 wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 02:45:
I want this to be good, but the updates on the website are so infrequent it's hard to believe it will ever get done.
As I said, for $12 I'm willing to risk it. Anyone else who wants to can get in on the 4 pack with Verno.

25. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 15, 2013, 02:45 Narf2029

I want this to be good, but the updates on the website are so infrequent it's hard to believe it will ever get done. The most notable change to the website last month was when the server failed. I don't know what's going on in their forum lately, but going by the website's extreme quiet and the release being delayed from last year, I can't help but be afraid that forum users are cobbling together their own idea of how they think the game should be, while the game is no doubt shaping into what it will be. I don't look in their forum much anymore since I basically lost hope that the game would ever get finished - now I try to stay away to avoid having such preconceptions - but last time I looked their forum userbase was very excitable and very imaginative. A niche game like this isn't going to survive the hype machine those people could very easily create for themselves, if they haven't already.

edit: Yes, they have a "progress" roadmap, but the only thing I take away from that is that they delayed for at least 8 months because they were "willing to take the extra time to get things JUST right," and today they still have a ton of things left to do.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2013, 02:52.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

24. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 15, 2013, 01:02 Cyanotetyphas

If you're curious what the actual Terraria devs are up to:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460767

There's more than enough room in my heart for more of these types of game. Hopefully one of these projects will be able to streamline building a bit (it still looks slow in the demo). Maybe its just me but I spent most of my time dungeon diving in Terraria.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

23. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 22:55 Silicon Avatar

I never played Terraria but this looks fun.  

22. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 21:56 Dev

NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 19:47:
Yeah, the lead dev on this was just an artist on Terraria, and not a decision maker. The guys behind Terraria are not involved on this.

For $12 (I got in on the 4 pack, verno probably still has a spot or two open), I'm willing to take a chance on these guys.

21. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 19:47 NKD

Yeah, the lead dev on this was just an artist on Terraria, and not a decision maker. The guys behind Terraria are not involved on this.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 19:19 Rattlehead

Sold  

19. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 18:04 PHJF

Been following the shit out of this game. Seriously jonesing for more terraria-esque action.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 17:23 Alamar

The site has already raised 450k... Good stuff : )

As for Chasm... Tried the demo, and no... Clunky keyboard controls... Not very actiony combat...

-Alamar

17. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 17:18 ASeven

Omni wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 16:37:
The dev is truly a prick after all the lies and shit he pulled on terraria.

Shame it's not the same dev then.

16. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 17:02 Alamar

Omni wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 16:37:

Which dev and what shit?

Terraria had a crapload of content for it's price, and apparently the main guy, after his hiatus with family, is looking to add some more (to the PC version)...

Also note, that Blue's 'This game from the folks behind Terraria' is misleading and inaccurate...

-Alamar

15. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 16:48 Prez

I almost never play 2D sidescrolling games, but Terraria kept me insanely addicted for dozens upon dozens of hours. I definitely will play this too if it has the same fun factor.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 16:37 Omni

13. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 16:17 ASeven

Also, some of you might enjoy this Kickstarter.  

12. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 16:10 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 14:07:
For $15, I'm in.

edit: Stupid question before I pull the trigger - there is single player, right? I'm watching the building demo and see a lot of folks running around.

Yeah, AFAIK it's the same as Terraria that way. Single-player with drop-in/drop-out multiplayer over LAN or 'net.

11. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 16:02 ASeven

One of my most awaited games, this one has the potential to be the best sandbox game ever.  

10. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 14:38 Dev

Once you get the humble bundle gift link (if you join in the 4 pack) you click it, then give humble bundle an email, they send you your package link.

At the moment that package/download link just contains the soundtrack for download. The humble bundle page also has at the top, something that looks like a CD key, which is a link to the starbound webpage. Click that and the starbound folks register your email to send your steam key to when its released.

Very nicely done and this means I won't have to bug Verno in the future to send me stuff like the steam key, its all done automatically with no further inconvenience to him

9. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 14:26 Verno

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 14:19:
4 pack gets the price down to under $12.

I'm in if someone is doing a 4 pack.

They will give out steam keys when it hits beta

Dev and I are doing a 4 pack, 2 other spots left, $12 per key for anyone interested send me a PM through the board system by clicking on my name.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2013, 14:33.

8. Re: Starbound Preorders Apr 14, 2013, 14:20 Verno

Dev wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 14:11:
I was impressed with the level of support they offered and the enormous amount of free content they offered. Plus the game itself was quite fun, I played it more than I did minecraft.

(yes I know they ceased active development for it, but they were upfront about it, and it got far more than I ever expected).

This is by the guy who did the sprites for Terraria, he made his own project separate from Regedit/Terraria which is part of the reason that content ceased for Terraria. It looks badass though and I'm in like sin for just $15. I don't really care when they finish, I've got tons of my stuff on my backlog anyway and it's a small amount of money.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo