Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. Age of Empires II HD Edition
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Dishonored
  4. Defiance
  5. Company of Heroes 2
  6. The Walking Dead
  7. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  8. Arma III
  9. Poker Night 2
  10. The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2013, 22:18 Dev

There's also a lot of mods that tweak character progression and leveling.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2013, 02:51 netnerd85

Xero wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 09:31:
Age of Empires 2 was a great game but at this point, it's meh. Could we get Age of Mythology please? I enjoyed that heavily for it's time.
Yeah that one was great

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 16, 2013, 00:25 Jerykk

Prez wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 22:09:
The usage-based leveling system is inherently broken and allows for easy exploitation.

Is it broken in your opinion because it allows for easy exploitation, or in some other manner? Because I discipline myself to avoid abusing or exploiting it and it feels pretty fair and natural to me.

Yes, it's broken because it allows for easy exploitation. It also means you don't have to make any meaningful character progression choices because there's nothing stopping you from maxing out all your skills and attributes. A traditional leveling system prevents this by capping your level and providing a finite amount of XP. Because quest completion doesn't provide XP in the ES games, they just give money or loot instead, meaning you end up with way too much money and useless loot. In an attempt to make money useful, they added trainers that you can pay to level up your skills, which is just a half-assed band-aid on an inherently broken system.

I have a fair amount of self-discipline too. I never perform any action for the sake of leveling and I never use trainers. However, no amount of discipline changes how broken the system is. The fact that you even need self-discipline to prevent yourself from exploiting the system is proof that the system is broken.

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 22:09 Prez

The usage-based leveling system is inherently broken and allows for easy exploitation.

Is it broken in your opinion because it allows for easy exploitation, or in some other manner? Because I discipline myself to avoid abusing or exploiting it and it feels pretty fair and natural to me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 19:54 eRe4s3r

spindoctor wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 04:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 19:31:
Still think Rise of Nations was FAR superior to Age of Empires 2....

Rise of Nations might be getting the HD remake treatment too if Steam registry leaks are to be believed.

Mhhh.. Ron + Patriots HD remake would be pretty epic ^^

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 19:43 eRe4s3r

I always wondered why Fallout 3/Skyrim/Oblivion didn't have more skill checks in dialog that actually went to some logical depth... it can't possibly be just bad writers, imo it must have been a clear design decision not to include this in a proper form.

Now the Story though, that is really bad writing from start to finish. I have never seen worse main plots than in the above mentioned 3 games. It even seems as if they intentionally dumbed down the (Main) story for younger and/or dumber audience... The side quests (some of the guild quests anyway) showed some promise at least.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 12:48 eRe4s3r

I always thought that "flying" spell you get in the beginning was hilarious as well.. gave what, 1000 to Acrobatics... but if you actually jumped it would run out in mid-air and... yeah.....  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 09:31 Xero

Age of Empires 2 was a great game but at this point, it's meh. Could we get Age of Mythology please? I enjoyed that heavily for it's time. Also, RON would be sweet on steam...  

Currently playing: Skyrim

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 07:43 Kosh401

CoH 2 is suppose to have the new SEGA-ized Digital Collector's Edition back up on Steam this week. Will be interesting how it compares to the THQ one that was taken down.  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 06:50 Numinar

+1. Epic game is epic. Hopefully the interface has aged a bit better than AOE2's. TAB key was my friend if I remember right, and the units were more like Supcom/TA units in terms of quasi independence.

Really sad this style of game didn't go further down this road, well on the way to becoming a Civilisation/Supcom hybrid of winningness.

They shat the bed on the fantasy sequel. The demo upset me enough that I didn't want a part of it despite being so excited by the artstyle and previews. RIP Bighuge.

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 06:32 cronik

1. Age of Empires II HD Edition - I guess it's true what they say, a fool and his money are easily parted.  

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 04:53 netnerd85

AOE ROR beats them all, so yeah, there you go, yeah

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2013, 04:39 spindoctor

Rise of Nations might be getting the HD remake treatment too if Steam registry leaks are to be believed.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 22:02 Dev

rist3903 wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 17:10:
I commend you for sticking to your guns and not playing a very good game until it is completely dated.

Bravo, sir!

Skyrim was dated before it even came out. Still using the same clunky old dx9 engine (they said they were going to do a new one but turned out to be the same old one with a few tweaks). Thats due to being designed primarily for obsolete consoles.

I'm not going to get skyrim for its datedness or lack thereof. I'm getting it to have fun playing it.

Similarly when I go back and replay HL1 on occasion its not because of its modern graphics. When I get in on kickstarter games like wasteland 2, its not because of its eye popping graphics.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 21:50 Jerykk

RaZ0r! wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 21:35:
I'm curious to see after all of these upcoming old school RPGs (Torment, Wasterland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, etc.) release what the opinion of The Elder Scroll games will be?

No different than they are now. The Elder Scrolls has never been a very good RPG series. The usage-based leveling system is inherently broken and allows for easy exploitation. Morrowind mitigated this somewhat by adding chance-to-hit and chance-to-cast based on skill level, though this severely undermined the real-time, direct-input combat. Bethesda has never had good writers either and has never been able to implement choice and consequence in any meaningful or coherent manner. Their attempt at skill checks in FO3 was downright embarrassing.

What Bethesda excels at is creating huge, highly interactive and detailed worlds to explore and lots of dungeons to clear. None of the Kickstarted RPGs will be able to compete in this regard, as they simply don't have the budget to do so.

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 21:35 RaZ0r!

I'm curious to see after all of these upcoming old school RPGs (Torment, Wasterland 2, Project Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, etc.) release what the opinion of The Elder Scroll games will be?  

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 21:02 Mad Max RW

I was underwhelmed by Morrowind, but managed to find some enjoyment out of exploration and mods. A respectable B-. Looking back it was ironic discussing with friends what-if scenarios of Fallout games made by Bethesda.

Skipped Oblivion. Too much hype for something so simplified compared to its giant-sized predecessors.

Absolutely loathed Fallout 3 except for The Pitt expansion and mods. Thank God for Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas saving the series from mediocrity. C- for Fallout 3 and B+ for New Vegas.

Skyrim looks to be even more simplistic and too much reliance on pretty graphics instead of substance. Although I do intend to get the inevitable $10 GOTY edition. I don't have much hope for their Fallout 4.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 19:56 RaZ0r!

MattyC wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 16:58:
I payed full price at launch for AoE II, so I am not sold on the HD Edition at that price point.

But the HD version has Steam Workshop support.....

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2013, 19:31 eRe4s3r

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 19:12 StaticRandomNumber

Can only say you missed out on some great games, especially Morrowinds humour was great. "Boots of blinding speed", I wondered what they would do until I raced over the cliff at full speed completely blind.... great moment in gaming history for me  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo