Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm sad that Spartacus on Starz has ended... the show seemed so cheesy and goofy at first, but really found itself after the first season and became a real favorite. I wonder if there's any talk of continuing this as a new series centered on Julius Caesar? I would watch.

Rebellious Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Back to the Stars.
Links: 'Spartacus': Steven S. DeKnight breaks down the series finale.
Stories: Man dies after being attacked by a beaver that he was attempting to photograph.
Science: 'Sustainable fish' label comes under fire.
Scholars reveal how they scrambled to authenticate Gospel of Judas.
How crying can make you healthier.
Media: Gorilla vs. Goose.
When Anus Speaks, Penis Listens. NSFW.
Confusing Question of the Day - Jimmy Kimmel Live. Thanks nin.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2013, 09:48 Mr. Tact

MisterBenn wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 17:59:
Any Path of Exile players here?
I am playing, but I'm not in hardcore. I tried starting there based on a suggestion by someone here but apparently either I suck at this game or I'm doing something terribly wrong. I built a Ranger to level 30 and thought I had figured things out. Started another Ranger which I got to 30 with more health, mana, and roughly the same DPS -- and I died to the final act 2 boss four times while killing him. *shrug*

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 11:52 Wallshadows

I really liked Spartacus and sad to see it go but, thankfully, there are other great shows to keep me occupied even through Netflix reruns. I'll likely even re-watch the previous seasons.

The issue I had with Spartacus is that it took terrific liberties with the story every now and then which made me question the outcome and whether it would deliver a more accurate portrayal or just cast it out the window in the same way they decided his son's fate. That and the Caesar plot and history armor kind of bothered me because he was essentially the terminator with whomever he faced. That said, I enjoyed the finale and, from the Roman perspective, it lived up to the tale that the body of Spartacus was never recovered.

I would definitely enjoy watching a spin-off with Caesar, Crassus, and Pompie though but I feel there would be a lot of resentment from those who enjoyed the series and hated Caesar

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2013, 11:58.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 07:41 xXBatmanXx

Seriously....the snow....STOP IT! SSSSSSSSSTOP IT!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 05:34 OpticNerve

mag wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 04:13:
None of your links work.

Yeah the original links are broken so I'll just put them up on dropbox.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 04:13 mag

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 02:01:
Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 01:36:
I bought seasons one and two of Spartacus when they were on sale. Watched the first episode and put it away in a deep, dark closet somewhere. I don't mind stylized stuff, but their combat was just blatantly ridiculous. It made 300 seem like a factual documentary on the horrors of melee combat.

I take it from the comments that the story actually does get better?

Creston

It definitely does. Took a few episodes before the cast and writers started getting into their groove and bit by bit, it slowly started turning from a cheesy 300-wannabe ripoff with a lot of T&A to an awesome show with memorable characters, an addictive plotline and engaging cast. With a lot of T&A still

The action always stays stylized but it gets better as they start using less CGI'd blood and constant slow-mo shots and the choreography gets more solid with some very cool combat scenes. If you don't like the comic bookish nature of the fighting scenes then that won't change your mind but dammit they're just badass IMO:

http://timgonzales.com/excess/fyeah.gif

http://timgonzales.com/excess/gifs/bullet-time-spartacus.gif

http://timgonzales.com/excess/gifs/barrel-roll.gif

None of your links work.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 03:10 1badmf

yeah i've watched faithfully from the start, and i always knew going in that certain aspects would be on the ridiculous side. but then again, life in the roman republic was a little ridiculous. they really thought nothing of sex, death, and slavery. it maybe wasn't quite as common as depicted on the show, but even that's debatable.

and yes, the writing gets stronger as the show goes along. i think the first season was just really entertaining, but i didn't really start caring about the characters until after the rebellion started. still there's nothing truly memorable until the 3rd season, when Crassus and a certain young and ambitious patrician take center stage. i won't say who for those who've yet to see it, but he and Crassus i think are the only two that really transcended the show.

the thing with the language is that it's sort of a literal interpretation of latin. there's no phrase for 'thank you' in latin so they express sentiments instead. that's why they say 'gratitude' and the like. i really dig it; it gives a foreign feel to the show that helps convey the difference in culture between then and now. and my GOD the chicks are hot!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 02:01 OpticNerve

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 01:36:
I bought seasons one and two of Spartacus when they were on sale. Watched the first episode and put it away in a deep, dark closet somewhere. I don't mind stylized stuff, but their combat was just blatantly ridiculous. It made 300 seem like a factual documentary on the horrors of melee combat.

Creston

It definitely does. Took a few episodes before the cast and writers started getting into their groove and bit by bit, it slowly started turning from a cheesy 300-wannabe ripoff with a lot of T&A to an awesome show with memorable characters, an addictive plotline and engaging cast. With a lot of T&A still

The action always stays stylized but it gets better as they start using less CGI'd blood and constant slow-mo shots and the choreography gets more solid with some very cool combat scenes. If you don't like the comic bookish nature of the fighting scenes then that won't change your mind but dammit they're just badass IMO:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96424278/bullet-time-spartacus.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96424278/barrel-roll.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96424278/iamspartacus.gif

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2013, 05:33.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 01:36 Creston

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 14, 2013, 00:00 Prez

Cutter wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 23:25:
That's not what comes to mind when I imagine death by beaver. Wokka wokka!

I tried to resist but I can no longer. So here it is:

"In Soviet Russia, Beaver eat you!!!!"

HAHAHAHA!

Outtahere

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 23:25 Cutter

That's not what comes to mind when I imagine death by beaver. Wokka wokka!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 23:07 OpticNerve

Squirmer wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 20:23:
PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 17:46:
Maybe it was just the actor but I preferred Spartacus in season one when it was nothing BUT a guilty pleasure.
Andy Whitfield certainly had more screen presence. The show became really good during that first season, though, not after it. The second half of the first season is great.

The thing that impressed me about the show is its pacing. It managed to make every episode satisfying while compelling you to watch more. Particularly in the second season, there tended to be two climaxes per episode, so you'd have some conflict and resolution 3/4 of the way through, then have another cliffhanger at the end to make you watch the next episode. Satisfying rather than annoying.

Compare with Game of Thrones, which has a number of interesting scenes in each episode, but whenever there's a conflict (physical or emotional) that's going to move the story forward, that's where they cut it and we have to wait until next week. That's much less satisfying, because you think back on each episode and realise that not much actually happened, in terms of plot movement. Or maybe it's just me. (I still like the show a lot.)

I completely agree with you about the pacing of Spartacus. Each episode made me want to watch more and there was always a good mix of awesome action, characterization, political scheming, gore and of course T&A. It was almost perfect pacing for a show and made every episode satisfying.

I especially loved the odd mish-mesh of language. Made for a lot of memorable quotes and scenes. Jupiter's cock!

The finale was one of the better finales that I've seen and I'm really going to miss the show :/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 20:23 Squirmer

PHJF wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 17:46:
Maybe it was just the actor but I preferred Spartacus in season one when it was nothing BUT a guilty pleasure.
Andy Whitfield certainly had more screen presence. The show became really good during that first season, though, not after it. The second half of the first season is great.

The thing that impressed me about the show is its pacing. It managed to make every episode satisfying while compelling you to watch more. Particularly in the second season, there tended to be two climaxes per episode, so you'd have some conflict and resolution 3/4 of the way through, then have another cliffhanger at the end to make you watch the next episode. Satisfying rather than annoying.

Compare with Game of Thrones, which has a number of interesting scenes in each episode, but whenever there's a conflict (physical or emotional) that's going to move the story forward, that's where they cut it and we have to wait until next week. That's much less satisfying, because you think back on each episode and realise that not much actually happened, in terms of plot movement. Or maybe it's just me. (I still like the show a lot.)

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 17:59 MisterBenn

(Sorry for the brief derail, didn't know where else to post this.)

Any Path of Exile players here? If you play in the hardcore league I have a bunch of free shit to give away from my 61 fire templar that died. All the equipment and a shit load of gems for fire/magic damage. Will give it all away before deleting so may as well give it to a Blues Newser. I am playing now/tonight, my main is MB_Darkmagic in the hardcore league so PM me there, or alternatively I just joined the BN Steam group so you can message me on that presumably...

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 17:46 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 16:41 scratz

Blue, you echo my take on Spartacus nearly thought for thought. Somewhere in the middle of season 3 I realized it had morphed from being a silly guilty pleasure to a genuine good show that had my complete attention.

Side note, Spartacus charging up the hill in chase of Crassus last night was about the coolest moment I have ever seen in anything.

5. Re: Gorilla vs. Goose Apr 13, 2013, 16:28 Sepharo

Hah, even gorillas know not to fuck with a goose.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 16:23 Killer Kane

Julius Caesar is busy...on Game of Thrones

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 15:39 Agent.X7

Funny you should mention that Blue; they have been discussing a spin-off with Julius Caesar.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/starz-spartacus-spinoff-julius-caesar-talks/

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 14:36 Ratty

Ha, I watched Spartacus a couple of times when they had those free Starz weekends. The gore and sex was so hilariously gratuitously over the top. It was like the perfect essence of what the gladiator genre is supposed to be. It wasn't quite my cup of tea but maybe you'd have to watch awhile to get into the characters and the plot. Though I really would have liked to see more of Xena.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2013, 13:36 Redmask

I did a double take on the beaver thing until I read the article, apparently it severed an artery and he bled out. Pretty strange occurrence though, beavers are normally pretty wary of humans and usually give off plenty of warning before attacking. I'm guessing rabies or human ignorance might have been a factor here.

I used to go hunting with a friend near Thunder Bay in Canada and we would see them all the time. They hit the ground with their tails when they feel threatened, it makes a sound like a gunshot and scares the shit out of you if you didn't happen to notice one around.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo