Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Flashback HD Officially Announced

The Official PlayStation Magazine website now offers a trailer showing off Flashback HD, confirming rumors from January that a remake of the classic platformer is in the offing. The trailer says this will be "the sci-fi classic game - reimagined by the original core team." The clip concludes with a number of logos, none of which refer to the PC platform in any way, so it's possible the remake is not returning to one of its original platforms (and we're almost positive it's not returning to the Amiga). There's a video interview on Eurogamer talking with writer Simon MacKenzie about the project, according to their story and a headline on VG247 the remake is also coming to PCs, though where that tidbit originates is not mentioned.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 12, 2013, 20:04 Quinn

saluk wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 18:30:
Yeah seems to lack personality. Looks too similar to any other modern alien shooter being put out these days. I'm all for an HD version, but like this I'm not really feeling it.

As for these games being ancient relics best forgotten... bahahaha.

I only hope quick time events are someday an ancient relic.

Not sure. I think I am feeling it. The part where he mounts that vehicle and the part where he's dropping red nades on the enemy below him... those 2 moments pulled me right back in time to when I was 8 years old. Man I loved that game. My dad helped me cheat because I couldn't get past most areas but that was alright.

Still waiting for a proper Another World HD. I finished that game maybe a hundred times back when I couldn't even speak English yet. Fucking ace.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 20:46 Rhialto

Xero wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:41:
I still have Flashback for SNES, lol.
And I still have my 3DO copy!

12. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 18:30 saluk

Yeah seems to lack personality. Looks too similar to any other modern alien shooter being put out these days. I'm all for an HD version, but like this I'm not really feeling it.

As for these games being ancient relics best forgotten... bahahaha.

I only hope quick time events are someday an ancient relic.

11. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 14:18 yuastnav

Yakubs wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:42:
Wolfox wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:15:
Wraith wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:28:
The world has moved on since then and while Flashback was barely acceptable for its day, right now it - and Another World - are ancient relics best forgotten.

"Barely acceptable in its day"? It might as well be my favorite game of that generation, and easily in my top 30 games of all time. I don't know if it aged well (because I haven't played it in what, 12 years now?), but it was pretty awesome back then, and it was a commercial and critical success.

Then again, its sequel ("Fade to Black") was not nearly as good. But the box it came in was awesome.

It actually aged really well. The graphical style holds up and the gameplay/level-design is still superb. I replayed it last year. One of my favorite games ever.

Yeah, this is one of those games like Transport Tycoon or One Must Fall 2097 that will always look good because it has these beautifully drawn 2d graphics. And the gameplay is, while not overly difficult and a bit simplistic, very well polished and easy to get into so getting into such a game is not that difficult.

10. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 12:42 Yakubs

Wolfox wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:15:
The world has moved on since then and while Flashback was barely acceptable for its day, right now it - and Another World - are ancient relics best forgotten.

"Barely acceptable in its day"? It might as well be my favorite game of that generation, and easily in my top 30 games of all time. I don't know if it aged well (because I haven't played it in what, 12 years now?), but it was pretty awesome back then, and it was a commercial and critical success.

Then again, its sequel ("Fade to Black") was not nearly as good. But the box it came in was awesome.

It actually aged really well. The graphical style holds up and the gameplay/level-design is still superb. I replayed it last year. One of my favorite games ever.

9. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 12:42 TurdFergasun

Nice idea, but from the looks of the trailer it sure doesn't have the same feel at all or art direction as the first. It looks like they slapped on some side scrolling just cause 2 maps, animation, and sprinkled some justin bieber onto the main character.  

8. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 12:41 Xero

I still have Flashback for SNES, lol. Awesome game for it's time. I think that, Out of this World (Another World), and StarGate were pretty solid platformers for their time.

Then again...will they be updating every solid platformer from the 90s??? When will I see Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3 remade??? Yoshi's Island??? Do we need this??? lol

Currently playing: Skyrim

7. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 11:15 Wolfox

6. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 10:39 J

Hyatus wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 10:32:
Flashback was barely acceptable for its day, right now it - and Another World - are ancient relics best forgotten.

Barely acceptable? That game was fun as hell, critically acclaimed and looked great, especially considering the hardware it was run on at the time. Did you just quit cigarettes or something?
Read his post history and draw your own conclusions. I think he has subscriptions. That means he has a lot of issues, folks! *dances off stage right*

5. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 10:32 Hyatus

Flashback was barely acceptable for its day, right now it - and Another World - are ancient relics best forgotten.

Barely acceptable? That game was fun as hell, critically acclaimed and looked great, especially considering the hardware it was run on at the time. Did you just quit cigarettes or something?

4. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 09:43 Parias

Seriously? Who gives a fuck? Putting a pretty face on 25 year old gameplay is lazy as fuck.

It's just a platform game and by today's standards a somewhat mediocre one at that.

I disagree - I'd gladly pay for an updated copy of this (although not a huge amount). Maybe this is just the nostalgia talking though.

3. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 09:34 yuastnav

Ah, Flashback. Good game, good game.
It'd be a shame if it didn't came to PC.

Back when the first screenshots emerged I actually didn't like the graphics style they went with but seeing it in motion actually changes things somewhat. It looks decent.

2. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 09:28 Wraith

Seriously? Who gives a fuck? Putting a pretty face on 25 year old gameplay is lazy as fuck.

It's just a platform game and by today's standards a somewhat mediocre one at that.

1. Re: Flashback HD Officially Announced Apr 11, 2013, 09:14 InBlack

No PC version??????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

I have a nifty blue line!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo