Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer

A new official trailer (NSFW) is now online for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, the recently revealed comedic installment in the Far Cry series which seemed like an April Fools' joke before turning out to be a real game with an unintentional free preorder program (thanks nin). The clip reinforces the game's over-the-top style, which at times makes Duke Nukem seem subtle by comparison. Meanwhile, Steam News announces they are now accepting preorders for the game:

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon is Now Available for Pre-Purchase on Steam!

Pre-Purchase and receive the Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon soundtrack when the game is released.

The year is 2007 and Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war which erupted in the 90s. The east vs. west conflict has raged for generations, and humanity continues to struggle to progress after a disastrous decade. New paths for peace must be found, and the US cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. Your mission is to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 12, 2013, 17:17 eRe4s3r

The question is.. is it fresh and fun? Because if it is.. then that's more than 99% of the shooters nowadays  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 12, 2013, 16:49 vrok

nin wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 14:32:
It's only a couple hours long, even with doing everything there is to do.

I'd thought I'd heard 6 8 hours, based on the RPS preview? For $15, I'm fine with that. And I tend to poke along and explore everywhere...
Well, maybe if you want to collect every single collectible item you might come close to that, I never count such things as gameplay time, otherwise I'd say maybe 5 hours just doing every mission normally. Way shorter than that if you only care about the main story line.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2013, 16:59.

40. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 12, 2013, 14:32 nin

It's only a couple hours long, even with doing everything there is to do.

I'd thought I'd heard 6 8 hours, based on the RPS preview? For $15, I'm fine with that. And I tend to poke along and explore everywhere...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

39. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 12, 2013, 14:16 vrok

This game is awesome, funny, and has amazing music. Some bullet points:

• It's only a couple hours long, even with doing everything there is to do.

• Almost the entire game takes place on one map.

• Short main quest.

• Main bulk of gameplay instead comes from driving around and capturing ~15 or so bases on the map from the enemy cyborgs.

• You can get the blood dragon creatures to help you with this, if one is close by, by throwing in cyber hearts in to the base. These are looted from enemy cyborgs and attract dragons which will make them attack the base with eye lasers, or you can simply bring down the shields of the base and they will run in and ravage it.

• These bases, when captured, have mission terminals where you can get 1-2 different missions per base.

• There are only 2 different mission types for these missions. Hostage rescues which are focused on stealth, and kill x using y.

• Each mission unlocks a weapon attachment, that can then be bought at a vendor terminal, and gives you some cash and xp. Some attachments require completing achievements.

• Weapons include pistol, assault rifle, sniper rifle, minigun, flamer and a bow, plus explosives and your offhand cyber knife for silent takedowns.

• Leveling gives you extra health and some other stuff you have no control over.

• Instead of regenerating health you heal yourself. You can't sprint or shoot while doing this. You can do this repeatedly and endlessly. It returns about 3 health boxes, so when you're higher level and have 10+ boxes it can take a while. Medpacks also exist but they are of limited supply, unless you buy them constantly at a terminal, but heal you fully in one go.
  •  

38. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 12, 2013, 11:35 Creston

Drayth wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 15:58:
    I'm going to go home and watch Robotech now.

Nod Nod Nod

Creston

37. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 19:10 Linksil

OMG, that first 15 min playing sold me on it. It's one of those games you just want to play with someone else watching so you can share in the glory.  
    Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

36. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 17:33 Asmo

The tutorial had me in bloody tears..

"Press A now to prove that you have the ability to read..."

The whole time, Biehn is in the background "Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me..."

35. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 17:28 Kosumo

Wow, the 80's called and they want their cool back Cheesy (but they'll have to take it from my cold cyber hand)  

34. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 16:18 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 10:31:
    SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 10:14:
    InBlack wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 10:08:
    There is virtually no marketing $$$ spent on this....
    It is a $15 mini game.
    Probably even Ubisoft wasn't sure how well would this do.

Which is kind of my point. They release a leaked version, with virtually no marketing to see how word of mouth will affect sales. Let the pirates do their marketing for them, for free. (Or rather not for free, for the price of lost piracy sales) The relatively low price of the game would also compel any well meaning pirate to buy the game if they liked the 'demo'. Especially if they plan to release some kind of DLC packs, expansions, multiplayer modes and whatnot.

There are two problems with this theory, first of all they need to be superconfident that their game is rock solid gold quality. Secondly a month in advance seems way too long a period.

You'd think. Unless the idea was to hype the pre-orders up. Notice how we talk about the game a MONTH before they release it. Everyone considered it April Fools.... so if this was intentional marketing.. well let's just say it works.

I at least, am hyped for this. The leaked intro sequence alone is golden ;p So many 80ies and Retro-Sci-Fi things ...

33. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 16:00 A51Abductee

Sold, what an amazing nostalgia trip. Bonus that you get the soundtrack with the Steam preorder.

So glad they got Michael Biehn to do the voice. It's a perfect fit.

32. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 15:59 Mad Max RW

The last and only Far Cry I played was the original. This looks awesome enough to get me back into the series.  

31. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 15:58 Drayth

I'm going to go home and watch Robotech now.  

30. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 15:41 Wolfox

Frags4Fun wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 15:34:
    Quboid wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:18:
    Why does the release date at the end of the trailer initially flash up as 2007?

I was wondering the same thing. Had to go back to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

The game takes place in 2007, so it seems to be a joke/reference. If you want to go meta, it might mean that the games mocks the present time (and game conventions) more than it does the 80's and the "alternate future" the game evokes.

Or it means "look, you're living in the future of the future!" as another meta-joke.

Feel free to pick any of those explanations, or make up your own. That's part of the fun.

29. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 15:34 Frags4Fun

Quboid wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:18:
    Why does the release date at the end of the trailer initially flash up as 2007?

I was wondering the same thing. Had to go back to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

28. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 14:03 theyarecomingforyou

Awesome. Definite purchase.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
    Star Citizen: Blue's News

27. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 13:59 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:52:
    He-Man
    You mean, He-Man!

26. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 13:52 Cutter

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:03:
    Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:52:
    Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:46:
    avianflu wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:28:
    looks like the devs played saints row the 3rd and then made this.

I take it you missed the 80s entirely.

I don't remember the 80s being THIS fucking wacky.

Creston

Yeah, but as an 80s parody, it was pretty awesome I'm now interested in this game and hope that the gameplay lives up to what it looks like it could be from that trailer.

Zackly. This was a perfect parody of 80's cartoons like GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, et al combined with 80's toy ads.

1980s Toy Commercials

1980s Cartoons

and my personal fave from the early 80s!

Battle of the Planets!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 13:05 SpectralMeat

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:03:
    I'm now interested in this game and hope that the gameplay lives up to what it looks like it could be from that trailer.

I guess people have missed this at the beginning of this thread, so here it is again, the first 15 minutes of actual gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZUueizrR0A

Steam: SpectralMeat

24. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 13:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:52:

Creston

Yeah, but as an 80s parody, it was pretty awesome I'm now interested in this game and hope that the gameplay lives up to what it looks like it could be from that trailer.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 12:52 Creston

Creston

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo