Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 12, 2013, 09:07 Beamer

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 08:00:
Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 23:47:
He wasn't a VP, he was a creative director. Meaning he made games. He was a lead designer on games like God of War.
He wasn't a VP but he was pretty high up on the food chain. He wasn't just a regular nobody in a cubicle.

He was a creative director. That's extremely far from VP in Microsoft. He had moved into the upper level of game design, but he was still a game designer. He was lead on Medal of Honor back when Medal of Honor was playable. He did Twisted Metal. He did God of War and Lego Star Wars.

Let's not pretend he was anyone that had any influence on the development of the console. He was a software guy, leading game design. It's not just some schmuck in a cube, but some people make it out like he was a lead guy in the company. He was some putz that had been brought in from LucasArts and PopCap to design games. Doing a LinkedIn search on +"Creative Director" [current job] +Microsoft [current company] gives 70 results.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 12, 2013, 08:00 SpectralMeat

Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 23:47:
He wasn't a VP, he was a creative director. Meaning he made games. He was a lead designer on games like God of War.
He wasn't a VP but he was pretty high up on the food chain. He wasn't just a regular nobody in a cubicle.

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 23:47 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 22:57:
Golwar wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 22:16:
You mean he managed to tell the truth that people are already online all the time?

No, he tried to paint a very pointed picture of reality like you are trying to do here. Everyone is always online, all the time in happyland, nothing goes wrong so you really want your gaming console to require that it be online because hey, that makes any sort of sense from a customers perspective and totally doesn't benefit the corporation solely.

He wasn't fired for violating freedom of speech, stop being overly dramatic. When you're a VP in a division at Microsoft you know the score when dealing with the public and he damaged the brand by doing this. As people like you are so fond of saying I've noticed, its just business.

-------------

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 22:57 Redmask

Golwar wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 22:16:
You mean he managed to tell the truth that people are already online all the time?

No, he tried to paint a very pointed picture of reality like you are trying to do here. Everyone is always online, all the time in happyland, nothing goes wrong so you really want your gaming console to require that it be online because hey, that makes any sort of sense from a customers perspective and totally doesn't benefit the corporation solely.

He wasn't fired for violating freedom of speech, stop being overly dramatic. When you're a VP in a division at Microsoft you know the score when dealing with the public and he damaged the brand by doing this. As people like you are so fond of saying I've noticed, its just business.

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 22:38 SpectralMeat

I think if you are working for a company and making jokes about a product unreleased and highly anticipated the whole World is watching and you should be careful what you say. Even if it was just a joke with a friend you know in person.

Twitter is a public channel like you said. If you want to make jokes with friends make it in a private conversation. When people get fired from jobs for pictures on facebook having drinks with friends in a bar, this dummy getting fired for mouthing off on twitter like he did should not come as a surprise to anyone.

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 22:16 Golwar

Beamer wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 21:03:
Golwar wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 19:36:
Oh well. At least we shouldn't be surprised then why employees of bigger companies tend to the "no comment" solution.
I'd side any day with free opinion & speech option, but it seems that the majority prefers the alternative. What for do we communicate if we only want to hear what we like to hear? All you get that way is PR bullshit.

The guy said something that made consumers extremely angry with the company.
He then resigned, most likely because Microsoft used its freedom of speech to tell him to get lost.

Or, possibly, Microsoft never did it but his coworkers used their freedom of speech to tell him they did not trust his judgment and would never work well with him again.

In any case, this is a freedom of speech victory, not a loss. You're the one complaining that it was a freedom of speech that you don't want to hear. Remember, Microsoft isn't the government, so, actually, freedom of speech doesn't even come into play.

If you owned a business and your employees publicly used Twitter to piss off your customers you'd likely use your freedom of speech to tell them to fuck off and find a new job, too.

You mean he managed to tell the truth that people are already online all the time? And he made some jokes with a guy he knew, in a way that is pretty common in standard memes? Shocking.

We always act as if people who made such acts, would be too dumb to register that Twitter is a public channel. But just maybe the media and its consumers are too dumb and biased to care to differ between standard personal nonsense and a public provocation that indeed aimed to piss off people.

Not only should people learn to consider what they should put on Twitter or not, people should also learn to evaluate what others put on Twitter.

If I "owned" MS I'd have 2 options:
1. Durango will be online only - Well, he was right. Deal with it.
2. Durango won't be online only - Listen friends, no harm done. Glad that you are always online to register it though.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 21:08 Scud

Oh well. At least we shouldn't be surprised then why employees of bigger companies tend to the "no comment" solution.
I'd side any day with free opinion & speech option, but it seems that the majority prefers the alternative. What for do we communicate if we only want to hear what we like to hear? All you get that way is PR bullshit.
Just because you have free speech doesn't mean it will free of consequences. If he had at least said something that sounded intelligent or well thought out I could at least respect that but instead he decided to just take a verbal dump on the rug. Definitely one of those fly on the wall moments where I'd love to know what was going through his head when he pounded that out and hit send.

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 21:03 Beamer

The guy said something that made consumers extremely angry with the company.
He then resigned, most likely because Microsoft used its freedom of speech to tell him to get lost.

Or, possibly, Microsoft never did it but his coworkers used their freedom of speech to tell him they did not trust his judgment and would never work well with him again.

In any case, this is a freedom of speech victory, not a loss. You're the one complaining that it was a freedom of speech that you don't want to hear. Remember, Microsoft isn't the government, so, actually, freedom of speech doesn't even come into play.

If you owned a business and your employees publicly used Twitter to piss off your customers you'd likely use your freedom of speech to tell them to fuck off and find a new job, too.

-------------

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 11, 2013, 20:10 HorrorScope

The dude has only said 1/100th the dumb things Ballmer has publicly, why is he still heading the ship?  

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 19:36 Golwar

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 18:41 nin

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 18:19:
It's a shame he lost his job. I thought the public uproar was enough of a lesson learned.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for him. Joke or not, he sounded like a jackass in his posts. I thought it was common sense that when you have a profile with your real name (and in his case, listing where you work, according to google cache) that you be a little selective in what you say, lest it reflect badly on those associated with you.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 18:24 Julio

Orth got fired because he showed that he was ready to be Ballmer's successor. Similar terrible decision making, there can only be one  

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 18:19 jdreyer

It's a shame he lost his job. I thought the public uproar was enough of a lesson learned.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 14:03 DangerDog

Such a heart warming story, I love it when "social media" backfires on these idiots that start to think they're some sort of internet superstar because they have several thousand e-friends or twithead followers.  

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 13:50 Mr. Tact

I guess he was right, the Internet is awesome! =p  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 13:21 ASeven

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:11:
Funny how some of those came true for him

He deserves it, after all he worked hard for it!

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 13:11 SpectralMeat

Funny how some of those came true for him  

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 13:08 wtf_man

LOL

Some of those are really funny. I especially like the one that says:
"I'm only an idiot when I'm online - and I'm always online"

HAHAHAHA!

Edit: Found another gem (yes, I'm still reading them, as I get time):

"I wear a paper hat - Apple Pie with that?

Ouch! LOL

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 14:06.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 12:38 SpectralMeat

ASeven wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:36:
It seems that...

*puts on glasses*

Orth's job is #notalwayson.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
#dealwithit
I wonder if he still has the same opinion: "people should get the internet because it is awesome"

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 12:47.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 11, 2013, 12:36 ASeven

It seems that...

*puts on glasses*

Orth's job is #notalwayson.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo