Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Comcast caught hijacking web traffic Apr 11, 2013, 18:34 NewMaxx

John wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:38:
McSterls wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:32:
While I'm no fan of Comcast, I believe they have the right to show you your data usage if you are approaching the cap. How else would they show you this info, or alert you of violating the six strike rule if they don't redirect your traffic?
I didn't think Comcast had data limits.

They do. I had Comcast for many years up until recently. The unofficial limit was 250 GB, although eventually they announced that publicly. They then later switched it to 350 GB temporarily until they could institute a tiered/metered system. However, even when it was 250 you could check it online in many locations. At around 180 GB (or roughly > 8 GB in a 24-hour period) you would experience increased latency and intermittent speeds, eventually becoming disconnects/packet loss after 220 GB or so, then complete Internet outage (for up to days at a time) when you hit ~250 GB.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Comcast caught hijacking web traffic Apr 11, 2013, 16:38 John

McSterls wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:32:
While I'm no fan of Comcast, I believe they have the right to show you your data usage if you are approaching the cap. How else would they show you this info, or alert you of violating the six strike rule if they don't redirect your traffic?
I didn't think Comcast had data limits.

This space is available for rent

2. Re: Comcast caught hijacking web traffic Apr 11, 2013, 13:29 m00t

I've heard people check their email now and then.

Or a phone call. Or text message. It's unlikely his phone number isn't on file. Violating someone's security interests to tell them they're reaching some ridiculous arbitrary cap is a pretty piss poor idea.

1. Re: Comcast caught hijacking web traffic Apr 11, 2013, 09:32 McSterls

I'm surprised he received this notice though, I wonder what area he lives in. In my area Comcast currently isn't enforcing bandwidth caps, they are supposed to be implementing an overcharge policy but that hasn't come to fruition yet.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo