Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 23:11 NegaDeath

LittleMe wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 21:29:
We need another killer app to bring PC sales back up. Web browsing and e-mail can be done on other devices now. Same with Youtube. The downtrend may continue for a while yet.. And MS seems ready to embrace the death of the PC, ironically.

I'm hoping the new consoles give the PC a boost (at least initially) the same way the current consoles have held it back.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 23:04 Steele Johnson

PC sales are slumping because the average consumers have computers that fit in their pockets and also buy slightly bigger ones called tablets. It has nothing to do with Microsoft and Windows 8. PCs were starting to slump long before Windows 8; around the time the iPhone and iPad were released. You can debate this all you want. Everyone wants to blame MS and Windows 8. But guess what, f'n Linux desktops have been around for 20 years, what has that done for consumer PC sales? Nothing.

And if you could get your little minds out of your oversized graphics cards, you'd see that MS is at least trying to make their OS work seamless across all types of platforms, while both Apple and Google cannot. Apple has to support 2 completely different OSes where the devs need to port their apps to work on both OSes, and Google's Andriod OS is so fragmented that your app may not even run on older or newer devices. FAIL.

So while Win8 isn't perfect, I believe MS is on a much better path than both Apple and Google. Cut them some slack and give them a chance to fix the issues. They've been providing you all a decent gaming platform for a long time. Show some support, or you're just going to help it fizzle away completely and all you'll have is mobile gaming with closed systems like a console.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 22:03 Dev

Its the decline of NPD sales accuracy.

Edit: Whoops, somehow I read game sales in there and didn't bother to RTFA

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 21:29 LittleMe

We need another killer app to bring PC sales back up. Web browsing and e-mail can be done on other devices now. Same with Youtube. The downtrend may continue for a while yet.. And MS seems ready to embrace the death of the PC, ironically.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 18:42 saluk

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:21:
PC Sales slumping....meanwhile in other news tablets and smart phone sales are skyrocketing.

And no wonder: PCs are roughly as good as they can get; tablets kind of suck and have a lot of room for improvement

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 16:21 dj LiTh

PC Sales slumping....meanwhile in other news tablets and smart phone sales are skyrocketing.  

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 16:12 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 14:59:
No it's still not worse than Windows ME.

Stability and compatibility issues... you are probably right.
Sales and popularity... it's probably a toss up... it is definitely doing worse than Vista at this point.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 14:59:
Windows 8 is basically just like 7 if you run the classic shell.

Uh, no... it isn't. One would have to use a more complete product, like Window Blinds to really get things back to being like 7... and they don't have a version for 8, yet. And then... why would I want to spend the extra money to properly replace a shell I don't like, when I can just stick with 7?

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 15:56 Verno

Windows ME was an unmitigated disaster. Numerous security problems, perplexing driver model, lack of any reason to upgrade, compatibility issues, constant stability problems, etc. Anyone who dealt with end users and Windows ME knows what I'm talking about. I was so happy when they finally shipped XP.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 15:50 edaciousx

Windows ME was the most stable windows i ever had and it booted up the fastest. I literally never blue screened on windows ME. Could be that I had an alienware comp that ran windows me.

I've always wondered about PC Sales... maybe people are buying less built computers in store but then more people are building computers at home? How do they even track "built" computers when people just purchase components and assemble it themselves like what I've done for the past 10 years.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 14:59 Silicon Avatar

InBlack wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:42:
Take it from me. I have it at work. Apart from performance (which is on par with Win7) Windows8 is the worst windows ever released by Microsoft.

No it's still not worse than Windows ME.

Windows 8 is basically just like 7 if you run the classic shell.

PC sales are probably slumping because there's no reason to upgrade as often anymore. Desktop computers got "fast enough" for most people a few years ago and when you have a desktop that's "fast enough" and you have cash to burn, you start looking at tablets and smartphones and other gadgets like that.

My desktop from ages ago will still run most of the new games at high settings. Why upgrade? Well, I still did because I enjoy building them and I'm a gamer, but most won't.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 14:44 killer_roach

The problem is that new offerings don't mean anything if they don't bring anything new to the table. And that's exactly the case here - ultrabooks are mostly just higher-end (and higher-priced) netbooks that don't quite do what a full-size laptop does, Windows tablets are not really doing anything that iOS and Android offerings aren't (at lower price points), and all-in-ones... the less said, the better.  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 13:52 Mr. Tact

Hey, I'm doing my part. I buy a new PC every 2-3 years. Grin  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 11:25 Beamer

I disagree that it was "in order to save money." They knew damn well they'd lose money this way.

It was about leveraging their ubiquitousness in desktop to boost themselves in mobile and tablet. It may have been an incorrect bet.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 11:22 NegaDeath

What's sad is that with a few tweaks, some of which other companies provide, they could have made it less jarring for users on desktops/laptops. But no, in order to save money they had to make it as identical as possible across different platforms. They could have made the transition more gradual across a couple OS releases. They could have included a frikkin tutorial on first boot. I guess all that would require competent management and some sort of long term plan. And previews of "blue" show they only depreciate the desktop more so there won't be any compromise for PC users.

And 8 is still so damned ugly.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 09:51 InBlack

Yeah, typo. Edited  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 09:42 Verno

InBlack wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 09:42:
Take it from me. I have it at work. Apart from performance (which is on par with Win7) Windows7 is the worst windows ever released by Microsoft.

Did you mean Windows 8?

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 09:42 InBlack

Take it from me. I have it at work. Apart from performance (which is on par with Win7) Windows8 is the worst windows ever released by Microsoft.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 09:50.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 09:31 nin

Spent a couple of hours with a users Win8 - what a nightmare. It's amazing how badly they fucked it up...

I would literally buy a mac and pay twice as much before I'd take a computer with win8.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2013, 09:28 wtf_man

PC Sales Still Slumping, Despite New Offerings

In this environment, Microsoft introduced Windows 8 last October. The software, a bold redesign of the company’s flagship operating system, is tailored to run on tablets, traditional keyboard-and-mouse computers and hybrid devices that combine elements of both. But it seems that the changes Microsoft made with Windows were so extreme that they scared off buyers.

“At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market,” Bob O’Donnell, program vice president for clients and displays at IDC, said in a statement. He said that “radical changes” to elements like the user interface and higher costs had made PCs less attractive compared with tablets and other devices.

“Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market,” Mr. O’Donnell added.

Need a native built-in option (not a hack or addon) to turn off TIFKAM, and give us Aero back (or something better) on the Desktop (Not that bland / flat look of the current desktop).

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo