Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 14, 2013, 12:59 Dev

Creston wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 15:12:
terrible now. Just terrible. Absolutely every link of theirs is infected.

Creston
Its all the ads. One can just click SKIP AD in the upper right corner of the stupid adfly popup thing, and it goes to the actual download link, the files of which don't seem to be infested.

Remember that part where I said earlier when one is downloading stuff, the legit links are outnumbered by the adware links? Looks like its the same case here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 12, 2013, 15:12 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 19:45:
Are we certain that if a AV picks up on a crack, that the crack truly is dangerous?

No, it's often possible that due to the way a crack works, you get a false positive. But do you want to run the risk?

Dev wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 22:02:
Its been a while but last time I needed a no cd for a game I own, game copy world seemed to be the place to go. I don't recall catching anything from them.

Gamecopyworld is terrible now. Just terrible. Absolutely every link of theirs is infected.

Creston

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 22:02 Dev

Its been a while but last time I needed a no cd for a game I own, game copy world seemed to be the place to go. I don't recall catching anything from them.

Nowadays the problem is a lot of searches take you to SEO optimized sites that try to suck in people to download adware/malware. And all the ads. ZOMG. When I try to get a legit utility, there's usually 4 download links, 3 of which are adware links which usually look more legit than the actual real download link.

Also, many AV's complain about stuff like packing/compression used in cd check bypasses, and thats usually a false positive.

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 20:01 D4rkKnight

False positives AVG - I wonder who payed them to release this statistically incorrect information.  

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 11, 2013, 19:45 HorrorScope

Are we certain that if a AV picks up on a crack, that the crack truly is dangerous?  

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 18:37 nin

Scud wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 17:35:
Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:30:
Yeah, it's pretty fucking terrible. Tried to find a no-CD key for my old Battle for Middle Earth CDs awhile ago (they wouldn't play because of whatever horseshit DRM was on it), and each and every single one of them had the kind of malware in it that made my scanner go "NO.FUCKING.WAY" and delete it as soon as it downloaded.

Creston

Oddly enough the crack GOG uses for Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay sets off my AV every time, I can't run it unless I disable my AV first (NOD32).

I remember there was a game years ago, where they figured out the no cd patch from the dev was actually a no cd patch from the warez groups? Can't remember what game it was now...years ago.

Here's one. It's even more ironic when it's UBI that did it, considering they eventually went with an always-on policy before backing off.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 17:35 Scud

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:30:
Yeah, it's pretty fucking terrible. Tried to find a no-CD key for my old Battle for Middle Earth CDs awhile ago (they wouldn't play because of whatever horseshit DRM was on it), and each and every single one of them had the kind of malware in it that made my scanner go "NO.FUCKING.WAY" and delete it as soon as it downloaded.

Creston

Oddly enough the crack GOG uses for Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay sets off my AV every time, I can't run it unless I disable my AV first (NOD32).

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 13:32 NewMaxx

wtf_man wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:51:
That said, My gaming rig is only a gaming rig.

It is the way to go. I have a primary machine, which is both a workstation and a gaming PC, and a secondary machine which is only the latter. It's amazing how well the secondary runs since it has nothing extra installed, and games work pretty much perfectly on it. My primary machine requires a ton of protection (MBAM, ESET, PeerBlock, VPN, etc.) with a good 90+ processes on startup (from a scant ~35 after clean and tweaked format) to handle all my real world stuff. I need 3 SSD's in it just to keep it up to speed of the secondary that has a large mechanical.

I'm by no means wealthy, I mostly cobble items together for the secondary, but keeping it streamlined and specialized really works well.

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 13:03 Harlequin

Last time I was in 'the scene' was mid 90's, I started to get to know some game developers and made a ethical choice to support these people, as if you support them they make more games you like. Warez was fun when your a teen,early 20s but at some point you need to grow up, pay your bills and if you want a product buy it. With Steam and the like I really don't see the need to D/L illegal copies anymore(abandonware and the like aside). The cost of games haven't budged for the most part since the early 90s, so pricing really isn't a excuse. For old games you own and you want to play that is another topic however.

1996 called and wants their CD cracks back.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:51 wtf_man

Although all my installed games are currently Steam or GOG... I do have boxes of old games, and would download a hack if I installed them.

That said, My gaming rig is only a gaming rig.

No personal info on it at all.
No security software.
No surfing the internet.
No e-mail.
No office products.
Wireless NIC is mostly off, except for when I buy/patch games on Steam or GOG, Play an MMO, or get MS updates.

I do all my other computing activity on my Mac, which has security software, including downloading and scanning any potential hack for my games.

That said, it sucks that in order to get around copy protection, most of the hacks are infected.

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:39 Creston

McSterls wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:35:
Not sure about that game, but for a lot of them it just easier to buy new copies on GoG or Steam to get rid of the antiquated CD checks, especially if you can get them for three bucks on sale.

I would have gladly done that, but sadly it's not on GoG or Steam. :\

Creston

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:35 McSterls

Not sure about that game, but for a lot of them it just easier to buy new copies on GoG or Steam to get rid of the antiquated CD checks, especially if you can get them for three bucks on sale.  

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:33 McSterls

MindStalker3 wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:03:
The sad thing is, even trying to download mods for things like Minecraft leads one to walk a constant minefield (pun not intended) of malware. I had to forbid my kid from installing mods himself to minecraft because even though I taught him how to extract and install the mods, he's not ready to walk that minefield.

Just gave my nephews Minecraft, and was surprised that the mod sites for it were exactly as you say: full of malware. I was too late to save them, but that is a learning experience for kids.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:30 Creston

Creston

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 11:03 MindStalker3

The sad thing is, even trying to download mods for things like Minecraft leads one to walk a constant minefield (pun not intended) of malware. I had to forbid my kid from installing mods himself to minecraft because even though I taught him how to extract and install the mods, he's not ready to walk that minefield.  

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 11, 2013, 10:36 J

nowai?  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo