Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage

A Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Reveal on IGN offers screenshots and a pair of videos, one offering 12 minutes of gameplay footage from the action/RPG sequel and the other a Q&A session. Word is: "Start with our a 12-minute demo, then check out our Q&A session below, both of which feature FromSoftware director Yui Tanimura and Namcobandai global producer Tak Miyazoe, both hosted by IGN's Marty Sliva."

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 12, 2013, 11:56 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 09:06:
netnerd85 wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 03:08:
Have you played Two Worlds II?

Yeah it's pretty average and doesn't measure up IMHO :)
why would you say such lies

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 12, 2013, 09:21 avianflu

I watched some youtube gameplay videos and realized the game forces one to play the same areas repeatedly to succeed. Add to that one hit deaths. I see the appeal but not for me.  

26. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 12, 2013, 09:06 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 12, 2013, 03:08:

Yeah it's pretty average and doesn't measure up IMHO

There's a very simple solution to the health flask issue. Associate a cost with it. Make health flasks finite, consumable items that only drop occasionally or can be bought from merchants who carry a limited amount. Voila, no more potential exploit. Hell, this would make the game even more intense because you could potentially run out of health flasks entirely and have no means of replenishing them other than random drops.

Those all sound like fine ideas for a different game but they wouldn't fit into Souls games where you have integrated PvP to balance around too.

In principal sure respawns normally suck but in practice they don't make a different here, the game has much larger flaws to worry about trust me. Keep playing and you'll see what I mean. They're also a good skill check in many levels where players need to readjust tactics and the game doesn't sit there giving you tutorials on it so sometimes trial and error can be a good teacher.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

25. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 12, 2013, 03:08 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:56:
Yeah agreed Penguin, Skyrim is nice to look at but the combat feels absolutely antiquated when you finally play a great combat system. The weight, feedback and fluidity of the combat in the Souls games is just awesome. I loved the PvP system too, they implemented it all really well.

24. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 23:13 Jerykk

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:40:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:06:
How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

The devs said they didn't want people just refilling health all the time since it eliminated a lot of the tension and immediacy of encounters. It's a design choice and one that forces the player to weigh going back for more health and etc vs pushing on. The risk vs reward system is very effective for first playthroughs IMHO, I beat a few bosses with a sliver of health and no flask charges. I don't think it's an issue anyway. Once you improve your skill at the game its a trivial aspect, there are few mobs that cannot be dealt with quickly once your character is more powerful or avoided. The amount of backtracking is also a non-issue for the most part, the vertical level design is well done and you find paths open up after completing important sections.

You may not personally like it and to each his own but I don't see it changing and I wouldn't want it to. Heck Demons Souls had no checkpointing at all and full respawns.

There's a very simple solution to the health flask issue. Associate a cost with it. Make health flasks finite, consumable items that only drop occasionally or can be bought from merchants who carry a limited amount. Voila, no more potential exploit. Hell, this would make the game even more intense because you could potentially run out of health flasks entirely and have no means of replenishing them other than random drops.

I don't know, I'm just extremely averse to respawns in general. In fact, I know I am because excessive respawn systems made me stop playing Fable and Far Cry 2 and Baldur's Gate as well. I just don't like respawns at all and would rather deal with limited lives or permanent stat penalties for dying. I don't like grinding either, which you have to do if you want to beat certain bosses in DS.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 23:19.

23. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 22:54 Paranoid Jack

Demon Souls and Dark Souls are the best hack-n-slash action RPGs to date for so many reasons. I know they aren't for everyone. No game ever appeals to everyone. When I picked up my copy of Demon Souls at GameStop years ago there was a guy selling his day old copy back because he couldn't deal with the certain death of the game. It was too hard core for him. But if you think back most of the best cRPGs in the past have had that kind of tension. Knowing that you can die at any moment even fighting lesser enemies... that is the kind of immersion that so many games lack these days.

Repeating the levels to farm or gain souls is a pleasure in my opinion. Yes, they get easier because you know the layout and the enemies better yet any wrong move kills. Hell, if they just put out a new game every year with slight improvements (think Madden or any of the EA sports titles) I would still buy them all. So yeah, I am excited about Dark Souls 2, too. Even though I was hoping they would make the story and game world play out more like an ARPG.

And yes, if they could make the combat in the Elder Scrolls game even close to that of one of the Souls games they would have the greatest game ever created.

22. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 17:31 OpticNerve

Hopefully the PC version of Dark Souls 2 will drop GfWL. That was such a mess for Dark Souls 1 and trying to summon a specific friend was and is a huge, annoying pain in the ass.  

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

21. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 17:14 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 16:56:
Yeah agreed Penguin, Skyrim is nice to look at but the combat feels absolutely antiquated when you finally play a great combat system. The weight, feedback and fluidity of the combat in the Souls games is just awesome. I loved the PvP system too, they implemented it all really well.

I still remember my first win when I was invaded. (All previous invasions at that point were painfully lopsided.) I was in Sen's Fortress and was at the furthest point I had been, so was in all new territory, then I get the dreaded "Invasion" text.

I wait around for a bit but no one comes to fight. Confused, I simply moved on. There was a point in that level where there is a long narrow bridge (the narrowest one.) The invader dropped down there from above as I was crossing it (literally for the first time.) I almost pissed myself.

I could see he was wielding a katana, which for me was lucky, as I was a dex build and couldn't deal well with big strong attacks (my poise wasn't great.) I knew my strongest attack was my pyromancy glove which I had upgraded quite a bit, but I didn't want him to know I had it.

So I ran around a bit faking with my katana out, blocking and dodging and looking for an opening to surprise him by switching to pyromany. Then he hits me with his lightning katana and almost killed me in one hit. I managed to roll around, switch to my glove and use Greater Combustion on him and almost killed HIM in one hit. He started to back away, and I managed to get him in a narrow hallway where we both attacked at almost the same time. Obviously since this my first win, you know who got the last hit.

The humanity and souls he dropped I managed to lose about two minutes later, as I said this was the furthest I had been in Sen's (that level is a bitch the first time.)

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2013, 17:20.

20. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:56 Verno

19. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:52 AngelicPenguin

OpticNerve wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:39:
Esoteric wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 03:17:
I think it's the best combat I've ever had in a PC game. Everything is...fair. If you die, it's because you messed up. It's a learning process.

I'd wish that more action RPGs or MMOs had a similar system of weight and balance. Especially the Elder Scrolls games. Combats always been one of their Achilles's Heel. Imagine an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Soul's weighty combat system... *drools*

I couldn't agree more. After playing Dark Souls I literally never played Skyrim again. The idea of going back to that clunky combat just didn't appeal to me.

18. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:40 Verno

How would they cheese the levels? If every enemy is deadly and adjustments were made to the health flask system, everything would be fine. There are ways to create challenge without resorting to lousy respawn systems. They could increase the penalty for death by adding permanent stat penalties. Or they could give you a finite number of lives, after which it's game over. The challenge should stem from the threat of enemies, not from the tedium of having to kill the same ones 500 times because too many integral game mechanics result in respawning enemies.

The devs said they didn't want people just refilling health all the time since it eliminated a lot of the tension and immediacy of encounters. It's a design choice and one that forces the player to weigh going back for more health and etc vs pushing on. The risk vs reward system is very effective for first playthroughs IMHO, I beat a few bosses with a sliver of health and no flask charges. I don't think it's an issue anyway. Once you improve your skill at the game its a trivial aspect, there are few mobs that cannot be dealt with quickly once your character is more powerful or avoided. The amount of backtracking is also a non-issue for the most part, the vertical level design is well done and you find paths open up after completing important sections.

You may not personally like it and to each his own but I don't see it changing and I wouldn't want it to. Heck Demons Souls had no checkpointing at all and full respawns.

17. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:30 AngelicPenguin

Verno wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 08:44:
Wooot Dark Souls 2! Never been so happy to see a sequel.

Like what sort of shortcuts and secrets?

When you get to certain points you can kick down a ladder to provide access between areas, open up a gate, stuff like that is what I'm assuming hes referring to.

The spawning system in Dark Souls makes sense, without it people would just cheese the levels. It isn't a hindrance anyway, eventually your skill at the game increases to the point where you can run the whole thing easily.

That's not how the game plays in practice at all. At least that's not how I played it. You slowly work your way through areas from one bonfire to the next. When you get to the next you may or may not level up depending on how many souls you accumulated.

You mostly upgrade your items at blacksmiths or npcs, which do not respawn enemies and for the minor upgrades you do yourself, see the above method.

The only time where it ever came up was if I had managed to accumulate a lot of souls and had not reached a bonfire yet. Sometimes I had to decide to push on or teleport back to the bonfire to use them. That was pretty rare, though, as the most souls you get at once are from boss fights and after that you are almost always allowed to spend them because the next bonfire should be pretty soon.

And the whole do I push on to imminent death or race back to use my souls is part of the whole appeal of dark souls. In new areas you constantly have a feeling of doom.

16. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:14 AngelicPenguin

I agree, I can't think of day 1 purchase more than this. Dark souls is probably my favorite game in the past 3 years.

I loved Demon Soul's but hated farming for healing items, which Dark Souls handles brilliantly.

15. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 16:06 Jerykk

When you get to certain points you can kick down a ladder to provide access between areas, open up a gate, stuff like that is what I'm assuming hes referring to.

The spawning system in Dark Souls makes sense, without it people would just cheese the levels. It isn't a hindrance anyway, eventually your skill at the game increases to the point where you can run the whole thing easily.

14. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 15:56 kyleb

Based on the gameplay footage, the movement control system hasn't changed. That doesn't bother me much, but it would be great if they could at least provide the option for modern FPS-style third-person controls.  

13. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 12:59 vrok

The controls better not suck ass this time. Being forced to lock on to enemies in order to strafe/backpedal is fucking stupid.  

12. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 08:59 Verno

Demons Souls has more memorable bosses and characters but the mechanics are a bit rougher and it has weird unbalanced stuff like buyable healing items in unlimited supply.

I did like its hub world design, the inter-connected levels in Dark Souls are fine and it lends some credence to the world building but I do miss The Nexus.

11. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 08:49 netnerd85

I wants that fur coat! FAB O LOUS

I need to finish the first game, stopped playing after 45 hours worth of time into it... just... can't too emotional.

Demons Souls seems good too, bought that for the PS3. Very similar.

10. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 08:44 Verno

9. Re: Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Footage Apr 11, 2013, 08:28 cronik

Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 07:50:

Sprinting past all the enemies without fighting them?

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo