Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again

The Consumerist has word that EA has triumphed for a second consecutive year in their annual "worst company in America" poll, beating out the likes of Bank of America, Ticketmaster, Comcast, Walmart, Time-Warner Cable, ATT&T, and a late run by Carnival Cruise Lines. They conclude their write-up by suggesting the higher-ups at EA reflect on the following question:

When we live in an era marked by massive oil spills, faulty foreclosures by bad banks, and rampant consolidation in the airline and telecom industry, what does it say about EAs business practices that so many people have for the second year in a row come out to hand it the title of Worst Company In America?

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 21:37 Dev

Saboth wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 15:22:
I think Consumerist would prevent a lot of problems if they renamed the contest to "Company that crapped on their customers the most in the past 12 months."
Probably that would be one of the other final 4

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again Apr 10, 2013, 17:00 Creston

When we live in an era marked by massive oil spills, faulty foreclosures by bad banks, and rampant consolidation in the airline and telecom industry, what does it say about EAs business practices that so many people have for the second year in a row come out to hand it the title of Worst Company In America?

Actually, it probably more says something about Consumerist's website, and its inability to prevent bots from spamvoting.

Even so, EA really SHOULD be thinking about what a terrible fucking shithole they are. Constantly fucking over your customers as a modus operandi is going to catch up with you at some point.

Creston

40. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 15:22 commonperson

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 22:04:
commonperson wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:08:
Honestly what this tells me that a)the sample pool is invalid and b)The Consumerist is rubbish. I'm sorry, but in no way does anything that EA has done in it's worst imaginings stack up against Bank of America or any of those other companies. It's crap like this that make gamers look like fools.

Hi, you must be new to gaming - as in you started yesterday - because this is really pretty much spot on. EA is the poster child of how to do everything wrong as a company - particularly when it comes to customer service. Their reaction to it last year only validated what this poll was saying. And the fact that it's so easy to actually do it right in the first place only further illustrates what a bad company they are.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget EA screws people all over the globe where BoA is US only.

Like I said they are not perfect or even good, though probably about on par with Activision in my experience, but PropheT said it best "Compare that to people who get screwed by Bank of America, who is paying out almost $10 billion in mortgage buyouts or cash for screwing people who got loans for the better part of the last decade. Look at Comcast, for the articles you see posted here almost as often as EA's despite this being a gaming site (same for Time-Warner). Carnival has been leaving people stuck at sea with only a "sorry" and a voucher for another one of their cruises, and a number of other issues that you don't see reported much."

Long story short, there's a seriously broken sense of priorities here that really make me struggle to take The Consumerist's study seriously.

39. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 15:22 Saboth

Devinoch wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 02:49:
It's not really about SimCity though. EA's crap service towards customers goes far back, even into the days of BF2142 where they'd outsource their Support department to foreign workers such as Indians, and would refuse to assist with certain issues and refuse refunds even in those days.

SimCity is just an example, and it's also proof that EA has not changed since.

Which is clearly more evil than, say, foreclosing on tens of thousands of homeowners, or destroying the economy.

I swear, this is why we can't have nice things.

"Bad customer service is worse than families being thrown out on the streets."

Get the fuck over yourselves.

Everyone keeps mentioning "Evil". I think Consumerist would prevent a lot of problems if they renamed the contest to "Company that crapped on their customers the most in the past 12 months." Who destroyed the economy in the past 12 months? The mass foreclosures were years ago. Games are a luxury? Sure. So are TVs. So are cars in many places. Hell, you don't even have to own a home, go live in an apartment. Consumerist doesn't differentiate the contest based on what are needs and wants. It is a contest to see which company steps all over their customers. Is Walmart evil? Sure! Do I have a bad experience shopping there? No. Is Sallie Mae bad? Sure! Have I had a problem with them as a customer? Never. Is BP terrible? Sure! Have I ever filled up a tank of gas with them that ruined my engine? No.

38. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 10, 2013, 12:18 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 04:29:
There's no such thing as bad publicity,

.... if you are down and out. No place to go but up.

37. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 12:02 JohnnyRotten

Flak wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 23:58:
...perpetual mediocrity

That would be a great band name.

36. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 11:58 JohnnyRotten

killer_roach wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 23:41:
Plain and simple, it's vote-bombing from a contingent that really thinks the new SimCity is the worst thing that's happened to modern society.

Then again, the warning flags were all over the place on that one. EA didn't exactly go out of their way to hide it - it was their experiment, and they deserved to have it blow up in their faces.

But to say they're markedly worse than any of the other companies mentioned? Doubt it. Bank of America, Comcast, and TWC are all in more methodological polling considered some of the worst customer service in North America. A poorly-executed game doesn't rate next to the perfidy of those other firms.

I don't disagree that their was vote bombing, but so what? This isn't an election for President of the US, and the fact that people were willing to do this only for them (and not BOA, Comcast, etc) is just another sign of consumer discontent, not that someone rigged the contest.

Don't forget they also won last year, before the release of SimCity, which is another bad sign.

Also, EA winning the poo award was the #1 news item for me on Yahoo this AM.

35. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 09:29 Dev

Orogogus wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 01:45:
To throw another one out there: The reason you (or at least a lot of people) can't file taxes online directly with the federal and state governments, and for free, is because Intuit lobbies heavily to keep it the way it is so they can keep selling Quicken. Pisses me off to no end every single year.
I just did both for free this year (was not able to in the past). Depends on how complicated the return is. Intuit and HR block offer a basic free federal efile return.
Also, in california there's "calfile" which is free. Google for other state returns that are free.

What you are saying may be the case for many, but its not all.

34. Re: EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again Apr 10, 2013, 08:47 Mr. Tact

I would say the "Final Four" are definitely four sucky companies...

Bank of America, ComCast, Ticketmaster, EA -- losers all..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 05:27 Julio

Good job EA! Time for a threepeat!  

32. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 05:02 Kajetan

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 04:29:
There's no such thing as bad publicity, which is exactly why this poll should disappear from the face of the earth.
Tell this John Riccitiello, who was forced to resign from the position of the CEO of EA because business is bad for EA. Bad publicity is NOT GOOD for a company which deals in higly emotional goods like video games.

31. Re: EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again Apr 10, 2013, 04:29 Quinn

There's no such thing as bad publicity, which is exactly why this poll should disappear from the face of the earth.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

30. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 03:16 InBlack

commonperson wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:08:
Honestly what this tells me that a)the sample pool is invalid and b)The Consumerist is rubbish. I'm sorry, but in no way does anything that EA has done in it's worst imaginings stack up against Bank of America or any of those other companies. It's crap like this that make gamers look like fools.

Even though I hate EA I have to agree with this sentiment. At least EA is providing jobs and products, this is all bullshit to pull wool over our eyes while our Angloamerican finance overlords are sucking the lifeblood out of us and making the 99% poorer by the minute.

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 02:49 Devinoch

It's not really about SimCity though. EA's crap service towards customers goes far back, even into the days of BF2142 where they'd outsource their Support department to foreign workers such as Indians, and would refuse to assist with certain issues and refuse refunds even in those days.

Which is clearly more evil than, say, foreclosing on tens of thousands of homeowners, or destroying the economy.

I swear, this is why we can't have nice things.

"Bad customer service is worse than families being thrown out on the streets."

Get the fuck over yourselves.

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Apr 10, 2013, 02:47 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 22:27:
I'll say it again, in no way are the even a fraction as evil as Sallie Mae.

What this proves is how passionate and active video game players are.
It's sad that so few companies manage to harness that in a positive way. That EA has done it in such a negative way, though, is perfectly telling and deserving of winning some negative award.

True, and it doesn't help EA that they sell luxury stuff, games are a luxury, let's be realistic. And people have different expectations there than with say, Comcast. Who'd you fully expect to mess with you. But when a company messes with your (expensive) hobby....

And yes, Sim City was probably the final nail in the coffin. I don't think they will rebound from that anytime soon.

27. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 01:45 Orogogus

To throw another one out there: The reason you (or at least a lot of people) can't file taxes online directly with the federal and state governments, and for free, is because Intuit lobbies heavily to keep it the way it is so they can keep selling Quicken. Pisses me off to no end every single year.

A few years ago California (or maybe just San Diego) was going to make efiling free for low income residents, but a Republican bloc in Intuit's pocket put a block on separate legislation funding shelters for victims of domestic violence until the tax filing assistance program was scrapped.

In this day and age there's no reason why the US and state governments can't make an easy portal for tax filing, but Intuit is basically the DeBeers of the tax preparation in world. Utter scum, although I hear they're nice to their employees.

===

EDIT: Honorable mention does have to go to the Internet providers in the US, fighting tooth and nail against state-subsidized broadband while maintaining cozy local monopolies dedicated to terrible, terrible service. AT&T in particular with its awful download caps for anyone who doesn't want a goddamned U-Verse package.

It is kind of weird that people are defending this poll. It's clearly not any more valid than, say, Mountain Dew's online poll to name their new flavor ("Hitler did nothing wrong" being the runaway winner).

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2013, 01:52.

26. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 00:13 Rattlehead

I think one of the reasons why is a large majority of the voters never had to deal with most of the companies nominated. Though my vote goes for ticketmaster with no hesitation, those dirty mother fuckers and their surcharges can get fucked with a rusty railroad spike. It doesn't help they have a huge monopoly on nearly all ticket sales in every venue in the country.  

25. Re: EA Apr 10, 2013, 00:01 deqer

killer_roach wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 23:41:
Plain and simple, it's vote-bombing from a contingent that really thinks the new SimCity is the worst thing that's happened to modern society.

24. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 23:59 deqer

ViRGE wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 21:31:
But how is this the worst company in America?
I think you missed, or misunderstood the phrase "(despite the rather disingenuous title of "Worst Company in America")." that Saboth said at the end of his post. And therefore Saboth cannot possibly answer the question you're asking now.

23. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 23:58 Flak

DangerDog wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 22:43:
People take their toys seriously, very seriously.

You can fuck with my environment, you can fuck with my education system, you can fuck with my moral compass, you can fuck with the financial system...

But I'll be DAMNED if you fuck with my video games god dammit!

PS. This makes my day, fuck EA and everything about them. The level of butthurt displayed by Peter Moore has reached a new level, suck it up princess and stop complaining about it. Maybe if you didn't produce perpetual mediocrity, people wouldn't tear your company to shreds.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo