Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, creepiness time, as the news is telling us to brace ourselves for the coming of "billions of cicadas," which will begin swarming around the U.S. East Coast in the immediate future, as we have come to the end/beginning of their 17 year cycle. This is going to be simultaneously really creepy and really cool.

R.I.P.: Celebrated Producer Andy Johns Dead at 61. To quote former Go-Gos member Kathy Valentine, of all people: "Crank up #ExileOnMainStreet and help send his soul off to the big mixing board in the sky."

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Furry Fighter.
Links: Texas Pinball Festival. Thanks Slashdot.
Stories: 5 tons of Nutella stolen. I suspect Frans.
Frog-phobic man awarded $1.6M over runoff flooding.
Ryan Gosling filmed bank robbery in front of real customers.
Science: For Private Manned Mars Mission, It's Make-or-Break Time. Get your ass to Mars!
Red meat chemical 'damages heart', say US scientists.
NASA funds telescope designed to spot Earth-like planets.
Images: VW's CEO Looked Pretty Happy About Those Topless Protesters. Thanks brother19.
Zap.
Media: Everything Bioshock Infinite Gets Wrong.
Jon Stewart Interview With George Carlin From 1997 Is Amazing.
Brilliant Coffee House Prank.
Dad Dancing at Stadium.
Auction: Darklands Video Game Original Cover Painting Fantasy Art. Thanks danull.
The Funnies: Penny Arcade - Perpetuity. Thanks nin.
ActionTrip Comic Strip- Never Offline.
Follow-up: The myth of the eight-hour sleep.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 19:51 NegaDeath

I rarely sleep the entire night. Typical routine will be to wake up, pry cat away from her cozy warm spot right in the freaking middle of the bed (asshole). After I bandage up the wounds from the cat who did not appreciate being moved I might take a piss, put the sleephones back on and queue some storm sounds up again. As long as I go to bed 7 hours before I have to get up I'm pretty good. 8 is ideal but no way is it 8 actual hours of sleep.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 19:23 PHJF

The article doesn't say anything about sleeping for fewer than eight hours. It suggests not taking eight hours consecutively. Which seems entirely counter intuitive.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 18:04 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 09:57:
InBlack wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 09:47:
Since Ive never lived in the US I only found out about the Cicada life cycle from David Attenburough's Planet Earth miniseries a few years ago which I have on DVD and which is fucking awesome.

Oh god - they're loud as hell. And heaven forbid you walk past one w/o seeing it, as it's sudden screeching will scare the hell out of you, when it's 3 inches from your ear.

Yup. And there is a HUGE market for eating them - so for a very short time you can indulge. Even the common cicada is super loud. I remember trying to look for them in the trees as a kid.

The myth of the eight-hour sleep.
I call BS. The more I sleep the better I feel. It gives my body a chance to relax and rest. If I lack sleep I have major back issues. This may be an article for anyone UNDER 30, as that is when it seems age started to catch up with me, and every year it just got worse....of course years of American Football, basketball, motorcycle crashes, etc didn't help.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2013, 18:12.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 14:25 Cutter

And Divinty Original Sin makes it's funding, yay! Hopefully they make a few stretch goals too, if not, that's cool. This game is top of my list for 2013! Can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on it!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Misc. Apr 9, 2013, 14:23 Cutter

Johns worked on some seriously outstanding music! Wow, talk about a life less ordinary!!!!!!!

Man afraid of Kermit get's 1.6 million bucks? Cereal?

Shut-up, Gosling!

I'd prefer to see a private manned mission to Mars so go for it!

Red meat damages heart? No red meat breaks a heart however!

And NASA wonders why people get pissed at them. $200 million for a telescope to look for planets we'll never be able to get to? Cereal?

Damn, hard to believe those secret service clowns had such a hard time with a few little ladies, and talk about slow off the draw.

Love that Darklands cover! They should bring that game up to date or KS a follow-up!

The mythof the eight hour sleep. Yes! I've slept like that for a great portion of my life. Sleep light for 3 or 4 hours, get up for an hour or two then back under for a deep 3 or 4 and wake up refreshed.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 13:55 mag

I love the cicada emergences. We get our next one next year. They are the dumbest, clumsiest insects out there. Can not fly straight, and if they bump something flop onto their backs and can't get back up. Birds swoop through the clouds, feasting like kings. And the non locals scream and run from the utterly-harmless, completely stupid bugs. It's amazing.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 13:29 Ratty

I hope the cicadas show up around these parts. I remember being absolutely terrified and fascinated by them as a little kid. Like gigantic enormous horseflys - I was sure they had a nasty bite. Creepy is the best word to describe them.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 11:41 Creston

You suspect FRANS?! I am insulted! Who spent an entire day on here promoting the chocolaty, hazelnutty, delicious goodness of Nutella???

I STOLE IT! I filled a swimming pool with it, and now I'm just aimlessly "floating" in chocolate.

Creston

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 11:36 dj LiTh

Bust out the DDT  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 11:00 gilly775

Even better are the Cicada shells that are left behind when they shed them. Had hours of fun freaking out classmates with them.  

7. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 10:22 InBlack

Kind of offtopic, but Im getting a fat butcheek "before and after" anticellulite advertisment in the sidebar on the main site.

Its kind of gross and Im not sure its almost borderline NTSF...anyone else seeing this?

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 09:57 nin

InBlack wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 09:47:
Since Ive never lived in the US I only found out about the Cicada life cycle from David Attenburough's Planet Earth miniseries a few years ago which I have on DVD and which is fucking awesome.

Oh god - they're loud as hell. And heaven forbid you walk past one w/o seeing it, as it's sudden screeching will scare the hell out of you, when it's 3 inches from your ear.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 09:47 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 09:46 Mr. Tact

The Jon Stewart interview of George Carlin is good. Stewart looks even younger that he actually is in the video (35).  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: 5 tons of Nutella stolen Apr 9, 2013, 09:28 John

Wow, now that's a lot of chocolate!  
This space is available for rent

2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 09:20 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 09:15:
In news to almost no one...

"It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean." Or maybe not..

BOATS N HOS!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 9, 2013, 09:15 Mr. Tact

In news to almost no one...

"It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean." Or maybe not..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo